Need Advice: Dress Shoes for Interviews, Cost no Object
Dec 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #92 of 113
Dec 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #94 of 113
  Are Alden shoes excellent in quality ?

Both Alden and AE are generally of equal quality construction (that is to say, excellent).  It really comes down to if you want a more true English style, then Alden fits the bill more closely. 

Since you asked about the Park Avenue, however, I assume you're going for a cap-toe oxford (great choice for business formal!).  In that case, don't choose based on brand - instead, go to the store and see which fits your foot better, and which has the better leather in your opinion. 

Also, don't just limit yourself here to those two companies.  The oxford is a uniform style, so you'll find options from many shoe makers across the world.  My cap-toe oxfords are Bruno, and I'd have it no other way (except, perhaps, bespoke). 

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #95 of 113
  What about Allen Edmonds Park Avenue ?

That is my favorite shoe! I have several pair. Great classic looks and very comfortable for an all day business meeting.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #97 of 113
  What about Allen Edmonds Park Avenue ?

That is probably their most popular shoe or at least the one I hear about first whenever someone mentions AE. I do hope to up my game with an AE soon as I'm starting to go on interviews again and my next job probably doesn't have a business casual setting with sneakers :p

I've learned the hard way that with shoes such as these it's better to spend more now than later but of course it depends on budget. I've bought plenty of shoes under $100 that didn't last all that long or wasn't made with good quality. I've stepped up my game slightly with Johnston & Murphy. They are a bit cheaper than AE but of course the best option is to go to a store where they carry a bunch of different high quality brands and try it for yourself. Also keep in mind that buying shoes is just the first step. Maintenance is key in shoes lasting a long time. That means shoe trees, polish, brush, etc. The best shoe in the world won't last long without proper maintenance.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #98 of 113
I have Park Avenue's that are 20+ years old. Shoe trees every night. Regular polishing and an occasional "Recrafting" at AE headquarters.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #100 of 113
  I have Park Avenue's that are 20+ years old. Shoe trees every night. Regular polishing and an occasional "Recrafting" at AE headquarters.

Eric - Knew I liked you a lot anyway, but then to hear that you're an AE man! That just seals the deal my friend. 

I'm a long-time AE man myself, and am also good friends with their current CEO Paul (and also worked with the two CEOs before him). Quality company with quality products and great service. 

Cheers 

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #101 of 113

Eric - Knew I liked you a lot anyway, but then to hear that you're an AE man! That just seals the deal my friend. 

I'm a long-time AE man myself, and am also good friends with their current CEO Paul (and also worked with the two CEOs before him). Quality company with quality products and great service. 

Cheers 

Mr. Grangaard has his vacation cabin across the bay from me. Quite the "Cabin" I think I paid for a couple of windows....
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #102 of 113
  Mr. Grangaard has his vacation cabin across the bay from me. Quite the "Cabin" I think I paid for a couple of windows....
biggrin.gif

Awesome. If you see him make sure you say hi from his friend/coach Michael in Philly. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Ever hear any good classical music coming across the bay? Paul's quite a classical music fan, even having guest conducted a symphony once. 

Now that I think about it we should get him involved in supporting LHL!

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #103 of 113

biggrin.gif

Awesome. If you see him make sure you say hi from his friend/coach Michael in Philly. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Ever hear any good classical music coming across the bay? Paul's quite a classical music fan, even having guest conducted a symphony once. 

Now that I think about it we should get him involved in supporting LHL!

I have never met him. We are only about 500 yards apart too....I know his house caretaker. Only a few of us are full time here. Most of the homes are vacation homes for summer use. There is an Investment Banker a couple of cabins down from him. Nice neighborhood....

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #104 of 113
This. Custom, hand-made shoes are one of the best kept secrets in the world. They're an investment, not a consumable. People wear sneakers/trainers because of their comfort, but a properly fitted casual shoe will demolish them, and are better for your feet as well.

This is all lore IMO.  My daily wear rotates between crockett & jones bench and handgrades, vass's, sutors, grenson masterpiece, etc.  Nice to look at, and of course good longevity for their class... but leather soles are slippery, delicate calfskin uppers demands high level of care.  

For pure functionality , orthopedic comfort , stability , durability, etc , nothing beats athletics shoes or especially god-ugly all-terrain-stomping hiking boots.  (Obviously, they cant all be worn in the same settings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back