Need Advice: Dress Shoes for Interviews, Cost no Object
Aug 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

sridhar3

Headphoneus Supremus
Aug 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 113
The kind of interviews I'm going for, everything matters.  *Everything*, no matter how trivial it may seem, can be used to weed a candidate out.  It's the kind of job where there are thousands of applicants for a handful of positions.  So, I most sincerely beg your pardon, but with all due respect, I'd rather not take the risk.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 113
You know that Huddler Media also runs Styleforum, right? You could navigate exactly as you would Head-Fi.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 113
Quote:
The kind of interviews I'm going for, everything matters.  *Everything*, no matter how trivial it may seem, can be used to weed a candidate out.  It's the kind of job where there are thousands of applicants for a handful of positions.  So, I most sincerely beg your pardon, but with all due respect, I'd rather not take the risk.

Good luck then.  And actually, the interviewees I interviewed were judged heavily on their appearance by the other interviewers, I gleaned this much during the debriefing.  

So you're not off the mark, there are plenty of those kinds of people in the world and sadly, they do interview people.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 113
Quote:
Styleforum

This turned out to be an amazing suggestion.  I've spent the last few hours there, and I think I'm pretty much sorted out at this point.  Thanks!

Quote:
Good luck then.  And actually, the interviewees I interviewed were judged heavily on their appearance by the other interviewers, I gleaned this much during the debriefing.  

So you're not off the mark, there are plenty of those kinds of people in the world and sadly, they do interview people.

Thanks, I'll need it.  I'm looking at this mainly from a risk management perspective.  I don't want to "lose points" on something that's well within my control.  And many times, when CVs start looking very similar to one another, they start looking for any grounds by which to dismiss potential hires.

Gotta play the game.  No choice.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 113
This turned out to be an amazing suggestion.  I've spent the last few hours there, and I think I'm pretty much sorted out at this point.  Thanks!

No problem. I happened across the site when randomly investigating Head-Fi, and it had been of use to me occasionally before.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 113
Quote:
If you have not already purchased a pair, go buy a pair of Alden Cordovans immediately.

I decided on a pair of Edward Green Westminster (double monk strap) black calfskin shoes.  I figured a cap toe would be better for an interview than a wingtip.  The Cordovans do look pretty nice though.  Carmina makes something similar in a slate color, which looks fantastic.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 113
Quote:

Edit: Apparently, talking up mainstream shoe brands (Armani, Gucci, Ferragamo, LV) on Styleforums is the equivalent of talking up Bose/Beats on HF.

Interesting looking pair of shoes.  Hopefully you went into the shop to try them on prior to purchase as comfort for yourself is important, especially when going through an interview. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 113
Quote:

As mentioned above, going with Edward Green:

Edit: Apparently, talking up mainstream shoe brands (Armani, Gucci, Ferragamo, LV) on Styleforums is the equivalent of talking up Bose/Beats on HF.

They got pissed off at me for mentioning a cheap South Korean style brand once, but probably for good reason. I only log onto there when I have to because I know absolutely nothing about their passion. I just wear what I like when I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back