Need Advice: Dress Shoes for Interviews, Cost no Object
Sep 9, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #46 of 113
I'd love to get a pair of bespoke Lobbs, but that would probably necessitate a trip to England.  I'd also have a really hard time choosing between all the offerings.  A lot of the monks (austerity brogue, Paris monk, double monk cap) look great, as do the Hilo and Ghillies.  I'd probably end up with a pair of Hilo.

Next shoe purchase is probably going to be a Carmina Steinbeck boot in grey suede, from Epaulet.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #47 of 113
What products do you guys use to maintain your leather shoes ?  Pure wax is too dry. 
I have been using RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing in the last 10 years.  It preserves, conditions and nourishes leather.  

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #48 of 113
Saphir makes a massive assortment of different products based on your needs.  I get most of my Saphir stuff from The Hanger Project (link).  They also make lots of great hangers for ties, belts, suits, etc.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #50 of 113
For what they cost they represent excellent value in terms of quality. I have several pairs and each is very comfortable to wear, look great and the leather is to notch. Your lucky in the States as many places have outlets selling AE shoes at bargain prices.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #51 of 113
The most important thing you can do to protect leather shoes is to polish them before you wear them the first time. Most people don't do this.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #53 of 113
The most important thing you can do to protect leather shoes is to polish them before you wear them the first time. Most people don't do this.

And when they are scuffed I learned an old trick from one of the Churches Reps that used to visit the shoe store I worked in whilst at college. Rub Dubbin into the sole once a month thorough the winter months, not a lot but just enough to sink in, let it settle in for a day and it helps keep the leather soles not only more water resistant but also helps preserve the leather a bit more against salts and such.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #55 of 113
OP, I know this is an older thread, but well done on selecting the EGs.

Awesome you've discovered SF too, sorry about your wallet. :)

Since finding SF, I've relegated my various AE shoes to rough wear duty, and really only wear C&J and Carmina on a regular basis. Special occasions warrant my EG and G&G...

Awesome we have cross-over threads like this here 
etysmile.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #56 of 113
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_N_120552_120552_189_subcategory

Park Avenue's....Perfect for Wall Street or VP and up corporate...I have enjoyed them for many years. They are comfortable, they last a long time and they shine up great.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #58 of 113
It has been many years since I have seen someone wearing Alden's. I cannot comment on their current quality. Just that I don't see anyone wearing them.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #59 of 113
Quote:
Exactly. John Lobb (Hermes) are really nice shoes in their own right, but a custom pair wouldn't be that much more. Even a 'real' Lobb as I said, which is only about ~2x (which is a jump, but let's face it, if you're already looking to spend $1500-$2000 on shoes you can probably stretch to that... though you would need to arrange the logistics of fitting. Luckily in my case I'm literally around the corner).

However I dunno, maybe it's just the old-school fart in me but if a guy (I fully admit I'd give a woman a break as long as the ensemble was appropriately fabulous) came in dressed to the nines like the above for a position he'd actually have to interview for, as opposed to already being picked and then doing due dilligence, I'd be like, 'oooooooh look at you'

very_evil_smiley.gif

I was going to suggest John Lobb also but since you've made your choice, I'll post the link for those who wish to check them out. True, made to measure custom shoes at prices many of us could only dream about. http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/main/main.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back