Need a recommendation for a good usb DAC/headphone amp for use with my new Soundmagic HP100 and desktop
Aug 24, 2014 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rajeevrn

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought the soundmagic hp100 based on recommendations from the honored members here on head fi. My thanks to them. I really like it...even as it sounds out of my iphone. Need to pair it with a good and cheap USB DAC/headphone amp and bypass the bad sound card on my desktop. The options I have are:

AudioEngine D1
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2
Audinst mx1
Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 DAC Head Amp

strictly for music listening only. I found them all to be good from reviews.What do you think would give me the best output, preferably not too neutral? Price is not a constraint for any of the above as all are reasonably priced. Thanks!

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 10
FiiO E10K USB DAC/amp, $75.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 10
 FiiO E10K USB DAC/amp, $75.

Thanks for the input! Yes the FiiO E10K USB DAC/amp is available, however I was looking to pick amongst those 5 choices. What would you suggest of the 5 on the list? Is there actually not a better performer in the list, I dont know that is why I ask?

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 10

Thanks for the input! Yes the FiiO E10K USB DAC/amp is available, however I was looking to pick amongst those 5 choices. What would you suggest of the 5 on the list? Is there actually not a better performer in the list, I dont know that is why I ask?

I do not know enough about the five you have listed to say which is the better pick.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't know how to help you pick an amp that is "not too neutral." Good DACs and good solid state amps aim toward neutrality. Slight differences in sound in that regard are very slight.

Do you need pre-amp output for hooking up speakers? If not, then I would recommend the Schiit Modi/Magni at the top of that budget range.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 10
I don't know how to help you pick an amp that is "not too neutral." Good DACs and good solid state amps aim toward neutrality. Slight differences in sound in that regard are very slight.

Do you need pre-amp output for hooking up speakers? If not, then I would recommend the Schiit Modi/Magni at the top of that budget range.

No I dont need pre-amp output for hooking up speakers. Schiit Modi/Magni is anot available in India. tried that search online? Are there any other options?

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Sorry. I don't know what's available in India. Dragonfly is supposed to be very good for a USB stick dac. FiiO products are very good, I would imagine you could get any of them since they are available from online vendors that ship globally. I would bet (have not heard it) that a FiiO E18 would work very well with the HP100s.

You might also try seeing which DAC/amp people prefer out of your list by asking the HP100 thread since you are limited on selection: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-hp150-review-and-impressions-thread

Then, since you have a desktop, have you considered getting a new sound card for it? That's another option.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 10
 Sorry. I don't know what's available in India. Dragonfly is supposed to be very good for a USB stick dac. FiiO products are very good, I would imagine you could get any of them since they are available from online vendors that ship globally. I would bet (have not heard it) that a FiiO E18 would work very well with the HP100s.

You might also try seeing which DAC/amp people prefer out of your list by asking the HP100 thread since you are limited on selection: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-hp150-review-and-impressions-thread

Then, since you have a desktop, have you considered getting a new sound card for it? That's another option.

I will consider Dragonfly as well in addition to FiiO as you suggested.

I just posted in the thread you mentioned as well. waiting for replies.

I haven't thought of getting a soundcard for my desktop as I was disappointed with the first one, but I will think about that as well. The Asus Xonar Essence ST was on my mind. What do you think about it?

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back