Need a hack/workaround to play non-Apple DAP through HomePod
Oct 15, 2018 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Jaywalk3r

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Pioneer XDP-02U DAP inbound. It will be my primary mobile source.

When I'm at home, I keep my music in my local iTunes library and listen through a pair of HomePods.

Currently, I'm using my iPhone as my source, so as I'm walking in the door, I can switch the output to my HomePod, and am able to seamlessly switch from headphone to speakers without having to unpack my laptop first.

I want a similar workflow with the Pioneer DAP. Obviously, that's problematic, since it does not support Airplay. It does, however have multiple connection options, including USB, Bluetooth, and (maybe) WiFi. I need a device that can accept the DAP's output as an input, and can then take that signal and output it via Airplay.

Will any devices will serve as the bridge I need? I've found a couple DAPs that support Airplay, but they appear to only work as Airplay receivers, not Airplay sources.

I'm not interested in any alternatives to HomePod.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 2
The more I look into this, my options look like 1) buy an Android device, download an Airplay sender app, and connect the DAP via USB OTG; or 2) buy a second Thunderbolt 3 Mac that stays at home, and use iTunes Remote (which I'm embarrassed to admit I did not discover until today) to play/pause iTunes.

Option 2 Seems looks like the easiest, most pain-free option, least likely to face reliability issues. So I guess I'll be paying close attention to Apple's announcements next week in hopes of a Mac Mini, MacBook, or MacBook Air with Thunderbolt 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back