Natural crossfeed on headphones / earphones for foobar2000 v2.1 [major update made public]
Jan 7, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #46 of 83
nice. I had seen convolverVST (kind of hard to miss when you google "convolver vst")
deadhorse.gif
  but I just looked at the screenshot and assumed you could only do basic stuff(for simple reverb).   that's what you get when you're too lazy to read.
thanks, I'll go look at the setting.

PS: sorry for the almost off topic.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #47 of 83
Say, Joe, I'm actually quite interested in the tube amp simulator on V4A as I really like what it does when I use a specific pair of bright headphones.

I was wondering if there's an irs that you have for windows/foobar? Or if you have any irs that you recommend that simulates tube amps? For some reason I can't seem to find much even though I feel like they should be everywhere by now... :/

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #48 of 83
  nice. I had seen convolverVST (kind of hard to miss when you google "convolver vst")
deadhorse.gif
  but I just looked at the screenshot and assumed you could only do basic stuff(for simple reverb).   that's what you get when you're too lazy to read.
thanks, I'll go look at the setting.

Just in case your looking for a system wide solution. EQ-APO can also do convolution.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #50 of 83
yup I've seen the example with the ircam files. it's also what I've been using for some time with the tracks at 90° and then some crossfeed, or directly the ones for 30°. and while it's clearly not exactly what I need, it got me way closer to an horizontal image and to realizing how silly we are when we describe the "soundstage" of a headphone to other people.
also as one could expect, I don't use the HRIR from the same candidate put in the example, with the 1003 I get something totally tilted and above my head ^_^.
anyway I actually started with EQ APO. but I kind of like the idea of having everything in a VST host so I can just save and change global configs in one go. now I'm fully equipped to torture music until it's mine, muhahahhaha.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #51 of 83
yup I've seen the example with the ircam files. it's also what I've been using for some time with the tracks at 90° and then some crossfeed, or directly the ones for 30°. and while it's clearly not exactly what I need, it got me way closer to an horizontal image and to realizing how silly we are when we describe the "soundstage" of a headphone to other people.
also as one could expect, I don't use the HRIR from the same candidate put in the example, with the 1003 I get something totally tilted and above my head ^_^.
anyway I actually started with EQ APO. but I kind of like the idea of having everything in a VST host so I can just save and change global configs in one go. now I'm fully equipped to torture music until it's mine, muhahahhaha.

Muhahahahahahahaha!!!

:evil:

Indeed, when reading "xyz amp increases the soundstage and clarity a bit," I always wonder... Increase it from what? What was your outbid reference? You seem to say every amp increases the soundstage a bit, so what is this app that nobody should buy? And is the "bit" of soundstage you get with this thousand dollar amp more than what you can get for free? 'Cause I have yet to find one that does so, unless it stimulates a crossfeed effect. If not, I'll just be here, enjoying my music for free as you chase down that next bit of soundstage. Cheers to all your searches and to the money you send out. :)

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #53 of 83
Say, Joe, I'm actually quite interested in the tube amp simulator on V4A as I really like what it does when I use a specific pair of bright headphones.

I was wondering if there's an irs that you have for windows/foobar? Or if you have any irs that you recommend that simulates tube amps? For some reason I can't seem to find much even though I feel like they should be everywhere by now... :/

Well convolution does not simulate tube amps if you mean to look for their distortion profiles...

If on the other hand you're looking for some of that famous "warmth", a bit of wide boost centered around 200-300Hz and a gentle rolloff from say 4kHz upwards goes a long way. But isn't really simulating any tube amp I know of--unless it's a cheap one being underloaded impedance-wise in juuust the right/wrong way...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 10, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #54 of 83
yup convolution is more for frequency response and room reverb. there are quite a few VSTs to try and mimic some sort of tube distortions.  I think they all suck, but then again the tube amps I might like are transparent ones so I'm not the ideal test subject ^_^.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #55 of 83
Why convolution shouldn't be able to simulate a tube amp? The tube amp have its own transfer function. You can measure the output from a tube amp and than convolution should be able to reproduce the transfer function.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #56 of 83
Why convolution shouldn't be able to simulate a tube amp? The tube amp have its own transfer function. You can measure the output from a tube amp and than convolution should be able to reproduce the transfer function.

Because said transfer function (the distortion profile of interest to audiophiles) isn't a linear one. One COULD measure a nonlinear system and produce a high-order convolver that simulates its behaviour, but such technology is well beyond what we have here.

On the other hand, it's arguable whether this transfer function alters the signal significant enough to be audible, or whether the commonly perceived characteristics of tube amps are even attributable to such nonlinearities.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #57 of 83
Because said transfer function (the distortion profile of interest to audiophiles) isn't a linear one. One COULD measure a nonlinear system and produce a high-order convolver that simulates its behaviour, but such technology is well beyond what we have here.

On the other hand, it's arguable whether this transfer function alters the signal significant enough to be audible, or whether the commonly perceived characteristics of tube amps are even attributable to such nonlinearities.

Ah, I see! :0

There was this feature in viper that claims to simulate a tube amp. Doesn't exactly tune the sound in ways I perfectly want, but it does help at times when I listen to not-so-well-mixed music, so I was curious. I managed to create an EQ profile that I'm fairly satisfied with, but there's just something that is missing compared to that simulator that I can't quite put my fingers on, and I was wondering if looking at some tube amp simulators will help clarify what I'm looking for. ^_^

Maybe I should hire a dsp demi-god like you for consulting? :p

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #59 of 83
Any chance you could make these wav files available in MONO so they can be used with HQPlayer?

It wouldn't be a crossfeeding process then.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #60 of 83
Ah, I see! :0

There was this feature in viper that claims to simulate a tube amp. Doesn't exactly tune the sound in ways I perfectly want, but it does help at times when I listen to not-so-well-mixed music, so I was curious. I managed to create an EQ profile that I'm fairly satisfied with, but there's just something that is missing compared to that simulator that I can't quite put my fingers on, and I was wondering if looking at some tube amp simulators will help clarify what I'm looking for. ^_^

Maybe I should hire a dsp demi-god like you for consulting?
tongue.gif

Send a sine sweep through the simulator and see what kind of harmonic distortion you're getting (harmonic distortion shows up as lower-level sweeps above the original sweep). You can deconvolve the sweep and get the relative levels of each harmonic at each frequency, but that takes a bit of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back