Name an album you bought on day of release
Feb 1, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #31 of 38
The only one I remember was U2's "The Unforgettable Fire", in the fall of 1984 - traveled down to Queens Plaza to a Sam Goody's, I believe.

Contemporary albums are harder to judge, given that I could just download it or grab it from Rhapsody. To have made the trek to a record store to pick up the LP itself was a different experience.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #32 of 38
Eric Clapton's 24 Nights.

It was back in college and the record store arranged a midnight release of the album - I remember lining up to get into the shop to get the CD.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldeagle58 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Led Zep 1 - I've never been disappointed.

We have a winner!

The last album I bought on day of release was Regina Spektor's Far, in Dublin, a week before it came out in The States. I had already heard most of the songs on the album from her shows and old demos so I pretty much knew what to expect.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #35 of 38
Most of the TOOL albums, both of Vampire Weekend's albums, Michael Buble's Crazy Love and Norah Jones' The Fall.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #36 of 38
Recently, Vampire Weekend's latest, Ceu's latest, Rodrigo y Gabriella's latest, Bebel Gilberto's latest, Zap Mama's latest, Pink Martini's last 2, and the Dead Weather album.

Going back, I'm sure there have been quite a few. I used to buy Zappa albums when they came out, starting with Tinseltown Rebellion. Once he started putting out 4 or so a year in the late 80s, I couldn't keep up.

Asia's first album, which was one of the biggest disappointments of any album I've ever bought. We already had bought the entire first 2 rows of their concert. About half of my friends wore T-shirts that said Asia Sucks. This was at a theater where the seats in the front row were level with the stage and about 5 feet away.

I'm sure there's been more over the years.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #37 of 38
Metallica's St. Anger. Pretty much a waste of $10.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #38 of 38
Hmmm…I honestly can't remember being that excited about something since I was young and anticipating Combat Rock by the Clash, but I'm not even sure I got that on the day of release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back