NAD Viso HP20 In-Ear
Oct 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

tomscy2000

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone hear them yet? Like the HP50, they're supposed to be developed by Paul Barton, so from all indications, they should be quite good and neutral (according to the NSC's Project Minerva, it's +3 dB/octave from 200 Hz down to 50 Hz for bass boost, reasonable enough, I guess). They don't look supremely comfortable, however. But it's a traditional shape. At $169, the price is very reasonable. PSB's reputation precedes him, so hopefully they'll be very good for the price.

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 43
Thankyou for the heads up, something I should be able to get locally for once :)

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 43
Just ordered a pair out of curiosity from Amazon, since I have all PSB speakers. I wanted something nice for my iPhone use, and if they are not comfy or the sound isn't up to snuff, I can return them to Amazon. I am not pro nor have ears that would be a good judge, but they do come from very good stock, re NAD and PSB.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 43
  Just ordered a pair out of curiosity from Amazon, since I have all PSB speakers. I wanted something nice for my iPhone use, and if they are not comfy or the sound isn't up to snuff, I can return them to Amazon. I am not pro nor have ears that would be a good judge, but they do come from very good stock, re NAD and PSB.

I'm looking forward to your impressions; thanks for jumping in.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 43
Having owned an NAD amp eons ago and being a fan of Paul Barton it seemed a must try. The price is suspiciously low, hoping it could be a real sleeper. If not, low risk. The on ear version is getting positive early word of mouth, so why not check it out?

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 43
Okay they arrived today. Out of the box they sounded very good, a big sound, lots of reverb-type sound. But on some tracks a bit of high end harshness, but when they were at their best, excellent. I need to fiddle with the tips, which I like, and let them run in for 50 hours or so.

Not much help. They are large in the tf10 mode, but more like the old denons shaped like barrels. More to cone.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 43
Okay they arrived today. Out of the box they sounded very good, a big sound, lots of reverb-type sound. But on some tracks a bit of high end harshness, but when they were at their best, excellent. I need to fiddle with the tips, which I like, and let them run in for 50 hours or so.

Not much help. They are large in the tf10 mode, but more like the old denons shaped like barrels. More to cone.

What tips are included in the package?  Are these shallow or deep insertion IEMs (from the pictures I'd guess the latter)?  How do voices sound and where are they in the mix?

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 43
Five sizes with medium to large sound passages. They are more bullet shaped than mushroom shaped. They have large sound tubes, the phones that is, and feel a bit stuffed in there. But on a 15-minute stroll iso was very good. I wore them down but they can go over the ear, though it messes up the mic. I made one call with them and my friend said they sounded crisp and clear.

As for vocals, I need much more listening at this point and want them to at least get a decent run-in before making judgments.

They could turn out to be a keeper. I almost felt they were preferred with classical and/or jazz than say classic rock. I am going to compare them to ety er4p/s and miles Davis trumpets, which were about the same price based on what I paid.

I would say the are deep insertion for best results, but they have those large sound tubes, so that ain't easy to do for my medium ears. But they are okay fit-wise.

Nice build by the way, like tanks. Flat cBle is thick, but doesn't bother me. The shirt clip is huge but made of metal, not plastic. Love it actually. Like an old fashioned tie clip .

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 43
Well my situation is I want a pair of reliable, great sounding IEMs for use with my iPhone, because for at home listening, I have other options (better options). I've been very happy with my pair of Miles Davis Trumpets, which used to be expensive but can be had for around $150 or so these days. They also have a lifetime warranty with Monster, which they may need due to Monster's not great record on durability. Having said that, sound-wise I am still finding the Trumpets preferable to the NADs on two counts: Comfort (they just feel like nothing in my ears and I can wear them over the ear, which eliminates any cable noise) and just plain sound. I have no professional reviewing experience, nor am I an audiophile by any measure. I used two test tracks, Ode to Billy Jo (Patricia Barber's cover) and Games That Lovers Play (Raul Malo) for vocals, and the treble on the NADs just has a hint of harshness (the ssss sound) whereas the Trumpets are on the money, sound perfect. The bass line on Billy Jo is a great test too, and again, the Trumpets just sound more realistic to me.

I am going to let the NADs burn in for 2-3 days, just in the hope they can improve. But as it stands, they may end up going back to Amazon. Also, fit-wise they feel much less comfy when trying to get a good seal, more like your head is stuffed (the original poster was right about comfort). It's not the large sound tube per se, because the Trumpets are micro drivers and have a very large sound tube as well. It's more how the tips interact with the sound tube. The Trumpet tips (medium silver that came with them) are thin around the body of the tips, so they are snug but not too invasive. The tips on the NADs are not really uncomfortable but more bulky, resulting in more of a stuffy feeling while listening (you are more aware of their presence in other words).

To me, on the go in-ear phones have to sound very good, but just as much, they have to be unobtrusive. In that comparison, the Trumpets win hands down. In other words, the NADs have to really improve with burn to overcome that deficit.

Hope that helps. I am not good at things like vocal placement, etc., I just know what my ears prefer and use that as my guideline when comparing phones. I know the Trumpets get very little positive posting here, but at their discounted price, I really like them. Thought the NADs would be a logical step up because of the pedigree. But so far, not the case. I really wanted to like the NADs too, maybe I just have lousy ears.

For the $150 price point, it looks like the Trumpets will be it for awhile. The new Sony hybrid H1 looks interesting, but no iPhone controls.

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 43
Tried out a pair of Comply tips I had sitting around, the cone-shaped ones with a large sound tube opening. These seem to improve the NAD sound performance, but it could be placebo. Not sure yet. I know there are doubts about burn in and all, but I am going to let the NADs bake for 2-3 days, visiting them along the way. They sound nice, need to do more comparing with the Trumpets. I have lots of time to decide on them. But they are definitely more comfy with Complys, which could be a deal killer for some people (having to spend more for tips). I have a few Complys here and I clean them with hydrogen peroxide, so they do last okay. I will have to factor in the added costs when I finally decide between these and the Trumpets (for now). I don't want to spend any more on in-ears than $170 or so. Not interested in TOTL phones, just don't use them enough.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 43
  Of course, if this truly was a place for the cool kids.

I am here, coolness is in abundance.
cool.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 43
  Thought the NADs would be a logical step up because of the pedigree. But so far, not the case. I really wanted to like the NADs too, maybe I just have lousy ears.

Man, these initial thoughts don't do NAD any favors. I haven't heard the Trumpets --- they might in fact be very good. They're actually an oft-ignored model here. The MD Tributes were actually a great phone for that relaxed, dark sound (and looked great, as do the Trumpets).

From the way it looks, ergonomically, I don't like the HP20. But I had high hopes for the sound signature --- I had it pegged as a possible winner in the neutral category. Perhaps you're a little more used to a smoother, more relaxed top end (not idea if the Trumpets are that way)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back