NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Dec 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,261 of 1,623
Lev:

I used several different quality files:
a few MP3
a few M4A (or whatever the standard iTunes format is)
and a few FLAC varying from 16/44.1 to 24/192

just to get an idea how it handles the different qualities.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,262 of 1,623

I thought you converted mp3 to flac
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for clarifying
beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,263 of 1,623

No there is no point getting a converter imo. The converter will be doing the same thing, using a chip inside to convert the usb signal to spdif, and the M51 chips are already as good as it gets for the most part, so a converter may even reduce sound quality compared to the M51, unless its a high end implementation that betters the M51's. The M51 usb implementation is using xmos, which is much better than your average spdif convertor will be using.

In my experience there was no advantage to using an S/PDIF converter as in doing so you add the sound of the converter plus all the impedance and reflection issues associated with using different connectors. The XMOS receiver in the M51 is among the best implementations as it is both isolated from the external USB power source and feeds directly to the internal DSP.

I used the Audiophilleo for a while with the M51 but after some time I began to feel the resolution changes it was providing were an "illusion", and that it seemed to be selectively modifying the signal. At times I felt it was harsh in the treble, whereas there was a sort of even sound quality to the XMOS input. My best results were using the XMOS input and adding the IFI iUSBPower to break the ground from and isolate the computer. 

Anyways I certainly agree that adding an external converter probably just adds the risk of degrading the signal even further.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,264 of 1,623
Have you tried directly comparing the TOSLINK to the USB port? From a computer, for example. The differences seem to say something about the USB port implementation in the M51.

The XMOS is a great solution, but it needs to be implemented well. And there is also noise isolation, which if not handled property, may lead to this result.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,267 of 1,623
Dialing down the volume on the M51 to -2db did the trick!
It really helped with the top end.

The higher the volume the brighter the sound is from the M51 (at least perceptually), I like the M51 best at -20db, if I push the volume up it feels like the treble starts slightly overtaking the bass. But it might just be a byproduct of particular pairing of M51 with my amp/speakers though.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,269 of 1,623

The higher the volume the brighter the sound is from the M51 (at least perceptually), I like the M51 best at -20db, if I push the volume up it feels like the treble starts slightly overtaking the bass. But it might just be a byproduct of particular pairing of M51 with my amp/speakers though.

I agree
After a long time fettling with the M51 I found that -20db is the sweetest spot.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,270 of 1,623
Hello all,

I'd like to bypass my preamp and use the NAD directly with my power amp. However, my preamp is also my headphone amp. Therefore, I need the NAD to output to both my preamp (for headphone listening) and power amp via RCA.

I just wanted to make sure that I could use an RCA y-splitter ,from the NAD, to feed the RCA to my preamp as well as my power amp. I know a couple pages ago someone said they're using a y-splitter to feed 2 mono blocks. I'm planning on using only the headphone amp or power amp powered on at one time. Is my situation different?

Also, would it damage anything to have both the preamp and power amp on at the same time? Is it just going to reduce volume from the DAC? Or is it going to put a bad strain on the output section of the NAD and possibly cause damage?

Sorry, I know it's a basic question, but I've always tried to stay clear of splitters and the like for fear of damaging something. I thought there was a possibility the powered off amp could still be acting as a load? Is that incorrect?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #1,272 of 1,623

Are you sure that's not distortion from pushing your amps/headphones/speakers too hard?

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,275 of 1,623
Yes better. I use that as well, RCA out to one amp and XLR out to another amp.

Are you running NAD xlr output to an xlr input or using an xlr->rca cable. Also, do you have both amps powered on at same time?

I was hoping to use these:
http://www.amazon.com/2-RCA-2-XLR-Female-CablesOnline-XR-A106S/dp/B00D1AGXC0/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1422513359&sr=8-20&keywords=Xlr+to+rca

However this website says that connecting balanced to unbalanced is only okay in certain situations. Says it matters whether it is impedance, transformer, or active balanced. I have no idea what the NAD is.
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/58612.aspx

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back