NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Dec 1, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,236 of 1,623
Anyone compare to Master 7 before?

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,238 of 1,623

Today when I turn my M51 on the standby light change from orange to blue and then when off completely!!
But it still working normally, don't know what happen. :frowning2:

Sorry to read that but as long as its working it seems that its just a glitch with the LED, usually these LEDs should work for Eons , if the warranty is still on take it to NAD.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,241 of 1,623
I just bought a new M51 for 1 grand on clearance. I'm running newest FW 1.50. I'm about to try revert to FW 1.39. I'm scared schitless that I might brick my unit. For anyone that doesn't know, FW 1.39 has 1dB more gain than the newer firmwares, which is why many people found it to sound more dynamic and lively than newer firmwares. Nad reduced the gain by 1dB due to clipping when run at 0dB volume, but that was easily fixed by running at -1dB volume. So technically the newest firmwares are a better implementation of the hardware as 0dB is bit perfect for the dac and should not have clipping, but to achieve this the dynamics will have taken a hit due to the reduced gain.

Also on a technical level the SPDIF inputs of coaxial and optical should be the most pure representation of your source input, as it takes PCM from the input and gives it straight to the M51 Dac (Zetex DDFA) to convert to 844mhz PWM. While the other inputs go through another chip before going to the Dac,  the Usb input goes through an xmos chip, the Hdmi input goes through an Analog devices chip, the Aes/ebu input goes through an Akm chip. So all these chips introduce their own sound sig onto the input signal, not that its a bad thing as they are all high quality chips, but the SPDIF input will just have a sound that is truer to the source input, I also always favor coaxial over optical in any system.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #1,243 of 1,623
same here , mine is a newer nad m51 and I have 1.43 . I tried to go to 1.41 to get to 1.39 but it would not work - but I was able to revert back to 1.43
I wonder how people find the version 1.50 compared to other versions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back