NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
May 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #166 of 1,623
What is the intent behind using HDMI? I read before that it was a miserable interface for carrying HD audio in standard format (PS audio uses it to carry i2s from the drive but this is proprietary use I believe) and that you're much better using a well implemented USB interface. For the connection to a computer, I wouldn't ever bother to try HDMI.

May 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #167 of 1,623
Quote:
What is the intent behind using HDMI? I read before that it was a miserable interface for carrying HD audio in standard format (PS audio uses it to carry i2s from the drive but this is proprietary use I believe) and that you're much better using a well implemented USB interface. For the connection to a computer, I wouldn't ever bother to try HDMI.

The HDMI input allows for high-res stereo support of DVD-A and SACD which won't work via S/Pdif. For a computer though I agree, you''re much better off with asynch USB.

May 3, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #168 of 1,623
Quote:

The NAD claims it accepts I2S over HDMI as well. The PS is not exactly proprietary, as it's just a certain pin sequence they use. There are many devices that are also compatible, I posted a link a few pages back. It remains a mystery if the NAD is as well.
http://www.sonore.us/Sonore-I2S-Compatibility.html

The intent is just to have a look see, try it out. I paid for it after all. And if it's a no go, not designed for it, well their tech support should just be able to say so.

I use it with USB via my mac, and it's awesome, but the upcoming M50 / M52 combo have my interest piqued, and it would connect to them via HDMI, so I am interested in experimenting.

May 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #169 of 1,623
W4S, PS Audio and now NAD all have I2S options. 

I have a friend that's very close with a few cable manufactures and he said they have very...passionate opinions about I2S. I think one of them used the term 'Audiophile Scam', but I guess that's more for the listener to decide. It's just now starting to take off so we'll see when more people use it.

May 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #170 of 1,623
Quote:

I have a friend that's very close with a few cable manufactures and he said they have very...passionate opinions about I2S. I think one of them used the term 'Audiophile Scam', but I guess that's more for the listener to decide. It's just now starting to take off so we'll see when more people use it.

Cable manufacturers talking about audiophile scams? Indeed, the kettle is black!

May 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #172 of 1,623
Quote:

Yes, because transmitting the bit clock, word clock, and data stream all together on one cable is genius, and was not in any way done out of laziness/convenience/practicality.

AFAIK when PS created their I2S over HDMI spec, they purposely left it open for others to adopt it, which is what is now happening. There's nothing proprietary about it.

May 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #173 of 1,623
I have an Off-Ramp 5 on order which will offer I2S output via HDMI. I will test it out with the NAD using both the HDMI and coax outputs and report back. My OR4 is clearly superior to the NAD's USB input. OR5 should hopefully be here in a few weeks.

May 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #174 of 1,623
Quote:
I have an Off-Ramp 5 on order which will offer I2S output via HDMI. I will test it out with the NAD using both the HDMI and coax outputs and report back. My OR4 is clearly superior to the NAD's USB input. OR5 should hopefully be here in a few weeks.

I would love to hear about the results. Thanks!

May 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #175 of 1,623
I have a question for those using the M51 as a preamp an connecting the unit directly into power amps.

My understanding is that the basic role of a traditional (dedicated) preamp, in addition to providing volume control, is to act as a buffer to match impedance differences between sources & amps. In the case of the M51 as a preamp, how is this handled? Thanks.

May 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #177 of 1,623
I have paid little to no attention to them since getting mine.

May 13, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #178 of 1,623
still waiting for a full detailed report of NAD M51 from members here!

I have considering between M51 and Anedio D2.

May 13, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #179 of 1,623
Quote:
still waiting for a full detailed report of NAD M51 from members here!

I have considering between M51 and Anedio D2.

Hi,

OP here - welcome to Head-Fi. I know things happen very fast in HK, but did you actually read this entire thread ? Did you click on the links to more extensive reviews ?

I'm not really sure you are getting into the spirit of an 'Impressions' thread. NAD has links to reviews on their M51 product page - you might be happier with those, Having written a full-blown product review in the past, I know how much work goes into it. This was never intended to be anything more than quick impressions and feedback on the M51. 

Cheers,

estreeter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back