MYSPHERE 3.1 "FAQ's"
Dec 16, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #16 of 165
Hello friends,
As you may read some posts already, it's evident now that Mysphere perform driven from amps in OTL-mode very well too.
But it has to be used the variant Mysphere 3.2 in this use-case - because the tubes would not perform with the low resistant load of Mysphere 3.1.
This message is just important for those who want to get utmost out of their tube amps if it offer OTL mode.
For such amps which offer output by transformers only, the previous recommendations are still valid.
Best regards,
Heinz
zustimm.gif

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 165
Heinz, you are onto a winner. The K1000 has a huge reputation here and as the owner of a bass heavy model I can attest to just how good it is. However , it is getting old and is hard to drive properly so a newcomer is going to be hugely welcomed. The 7 day test is even more fair. How you've done this without a Kickstarter campaign is beyond me....

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #19 of 165
"How loud is MYSPHERE" outside? - Will I disturb others?"
(Some of those questions was raised by PM's and we did some measurements to compare)

Measured is MYSPHERE 3.1 vs SENNHEISER H800s vs FOCAL UTOPIA at 1 Pa (~94dbSPL) on the ear at 1kHz relative to 1 m distance. Shown are the values per frequency (relative to the SPL on the ear) and the dotted lines are the average values.
MYSPHERE 3.1 vs. HD800 & Utopia - outside noise.JPG

It shows, that MYSPHERE is about the same loud as the HD800 whereas UTOPIA is a bit lounder.
The reason behind that MYSPHERE is not that loud as many expect is, that the membrane of MYSPHERE is much closer to the ear entrance and using the proximity effect much.

BR heinz

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #20 of 165
"How loud is MYSPHERE" outside? - Will I disturb others?"
(Some of those questions was raised by PM's and we did some measurements to compare)

Measured is MYSPHERE 3.1 vs SENNHEISER H800s vs FOCAL UTOPIA at 1 Pa (~94dbSPL) on the ear at 1kHz relative to 1 m distance. Shown are the values per frequency (relative to the SPL on the ear) and the dotted lines are the average values.
It shows, that MYSPHERE is about the same loud as the HD800 whereas UTOPIA is a bit lounder.
The reason behind that MYSPHERE is not that loud as many expect is, that the membrane of MYSPHERE is much closer to the ear entrance and using the proximity effect much.
BR heinz
It's when the cup (not sure how it should be called) is in the closest position to the ear? As far as I understand It's supposed to be quite a bit lounder when it's fully open?

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #21 of 165
Hi it'll be a loud one alright:):smile_phones:the k1000s are with the flaps out. Not for listening to music while the missus watches TV. It's for listening in a quiet room. Surely no one is seriously worried about how much the most open headphones ever made will leak? They're going to leak a lot. The added benefit is you can hold a conversation with your fellow headfiers even with the music playing!

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 165
Hi it'll be a loud one alright:):smile_phones:the k1000s are with the flaps out. Not for listening to music while the missus watches TV. It's for listening in a quiet room. Surely no one is seriously worried about how much the most open headphones ever made will leak? They're going to leak a lot. The added benefit is you can hold a conversation with your fellow headfiers even with the music playing!
Yes, I know - I owned the K1000 for about eight years, just sold them about a week ago to defray the cost of the Mysphere (too expensive for me to own both, unfortunately). I just asked Heinz out of curiosity, because as far as I remember the K1000 quite a bit louder than the HD800.

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #23 of 165
Your questions and remarks are very understandable.
Due to the fully open (front and rear side) design of MYSPHERE it would be as loud outside as the K1000 if the distance of the membrane would be as far away from the ear entrance. But it is much closer and therefore the SPL relation to the far distance is larger.
Resulting into similar far field sound pressure values as HD800 has.
Br heinz

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #24 of 165
Your questions and remarks are very understandable.
Due to the fully open (front and rear side) design of MYSPHERE it would be as loud outside as the K1000 if the distance of the membrane would be as far away from the ear entrance. But it is much closer and therefore the SPL relation to the far distance is larger.
Resulting into similar far field sound pressure values as HD800 has.
Br heinz
Yes, I understand that because the driver of the Mysphere is closer to the ear channel than the driver the K1000, the Mysphere is not so loud for other people around. What I meant when I asked was how you measured the Mysphere in that case, when you compared it to the HD800 and Utopia?
In this position

Or in this

There is supposed to be some difference between them in terms of loudness for other people around. I prefer the second one in terms of sound.)
Sorry, if it's difficult to understand me. My English is far from being perfect.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #25 of 165
So the flaps go inward? That would make a difference to the sound reverberating. The design looks like it'll be a lot less loose than the K1000s.
Incidentally I've found if I sink back into my sofa with the drivers in the out position I can achieve both bass and soundstage. I suspect this will be exactly the same for the Mysphere and will give a good excuse for a proper relax

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #26 of 165
Yes, I know - I owned the K1000 for about eight years, just sold them about a week ago to defray the cost of the Mysphere.
What a shame! The temptation to sell on lots of headphones I own is extremely strong but we have not heard what Heinz has come up with yet. I have huge enthusiasm but for this sort of money they have to be as close to angels playing harps in the clouds as a human could take without bursting instantly into flames.....

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #27 of 165
Yes, I understand that because the driver of the Mysphere is closer to the ear channel than the driver the K1000, the Mysphere is not so loud for other people around. What I meant when I asked was how you measured the Mysphere in that case, when you compared it to the HD800 and Utopia?
In this position

Or in this

There is supposed to be some difference between them in terms of loudness for other people around. I prefer the second one in terms of sound.)
Sorry, if it's difficult to understand me. My English is far from being perfect.

The measurement was not done on my silly head! :wink:
It was done on the artificial head, appliying the voltage for 94dBSPL = 1Pa on it. Then measured the SPL at 1m distance in the room. The scale shows minus dB values relative to 1Pa.

BR heinz

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #28 of 165
What a shame! The temptation to sell on lots of headphones I own is extremely strong but we have not heard what Heinz has come up with yet. I have huge enthusiasm but for this sort of money they have to be as close to angels playing harps in the clouds as a human could take without bursting instantly into flames.....

You will have the next best chance to listen at:
  • the booth of Woo Audio at CanJam in NY in Feb. 2018
  • Socal in LA in spring 2018
  • In Europe at the Audiovista in Krefeld Germany End of February
  • In May at High-End show in Munich (which will be the first official press release).
Hope it will convince everybody!
:)
BR heinz

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #29 of 165
Well, I heard the early prototype and It was really nice. Better in most aspects than the K1000. And Heinz promised to improve it. And I'm quite sure he did - no reason not to believe him.)) So, if you live in the USA and can go to NY or LA, you should try and listen to it. If you like the K1000, I'm quite sure you'll like the Mysphere too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back