My review of Audio Technica ATH-CK9 and ATH-CK10
Sep 23, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #46 of 76
Well it’s about time that I post some hands-on comments about the CK-10.

Receiving the package one wonders if he really got the real deal or not…it is THAT simple!

I started feeling some excitement when I got the earphones in my hands mainly due to the build quality which is excellent. The cable is by far the most well-made cable I have seen, substantial, soft, light and flexible!
It bends easily behind the ear and you cannot “feel” it anymore. Noise wise it is 100% silent. No microphonics or other noises of any kind! Great job here!

I really wish the same could be said about the ear-tips. They are quite soft but they have a rough edge around them that really irritates the ear in a few seconds. I will have to find a solution here, soon!

As far as fit goes I got used to then in a few seconds and obtained optimal sound quality very – very quickly. They are inserted quite deep – they enter the ear canal and not just rest on its opening – and once they are in position they let you know. You get a blooming effect that results in a very balanced sound, spectrally full and enjoyable.

SQ
This is the best part and as such it is presented last!
I really enjoy the burn in process and I always listen to my equipment as they evolve musically. It is like a flower that gets more and more beautiful as the days go by…
However I get the feeling these flowers arrived bloomed!

The sound was excellent right from the start. Yes minute one!
One test I consider tough is starting listening to the newcomer with the rest of the equipment set “flat”. No EQ or other enhancement activated.
If it underperforms I slowly locate the adjustments that will lead to betterment and hopefully the situation will be resolved.
If it performs well, I get a strong feeling I am on the right track, I get very excited and I enjoy the rest of the journey…

So, what happened in this case?
The ATs passed this with flying colors!!!
I found the sound well balanced with the DAP flat and this can only be a good thing!

Bass: Very Nice! Full bodied sound, good attack that makes music dynamic and powerfull. Maybe the best of the dynamics can do better here but considering the full response I am very satisfied!
Mids: Great with vocals, I especially enjoyed female voices! I can spot some sibilance, but it is minor and they have only operated for an hour or so. Chances are this will get much better.
Highs: Great extension despite the technical specs. I don’t think there’s anything missing, quite the opposite. Tons of detail in instrument presentation and space information/ sense of space. No shrillness or edginess present. The sound is detailed and smooth.

Airiness & Sense of ambient space: despite entering the ear canal the soundstage will not collapse or shrink. I can feel ambience around individual instruments or voices and I get a very good feeling of the room/ space. The music will not get too crowded with these as complexity increases.

Overall: Highly recommended!
Good engineering and design pays. To tell the truth I would consider this purchase wise at even double the money. At $199 this is a clearly a steal!

L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #48 of 76
Just one hour listening and already hopping around like a happy bunny? Hahaha

Glad you like it. Let it run for another few hours, the sibilance will reduced.

P.S:CK100 will be more awesome, i guess XD

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just one hour listening and already hopping around like a happy bunny? Hahaha

Glad you like it. Let it run for another few hours, the sibilance will reduced.

P.S:CK100 will be more awesome, i guess XD

It is not a usual thing for me to get excited…

Most of the times I reject something too easily and ressurect it later for a second judgement.

And mind you, I am very fond of my etys. I have built a high standard for comparison.

But the ATs are worth it in my opinion!

No placebo here!!!

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #50 of 76
Finally heard them yesterday - lovely phones, but definitely a taste which will not be for all. I borrowed them from someone who actually doesn't like them at all. I like them and find the bass very good, certainly no less than many other iems out there. But the build... i love it. It is phenomenal and in fact, with the proper stress relief of the head unit, there is nothing to complain about. I think it topples Westone even!

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #51 of 76
Sep 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally heard them yesterday - lovely phones, but definitely a taste which will not be for all. I borrowed them from someone who actually doesn't like them at all. I like them and find the bass very good, certainly no less than many other iems out there. But the build... i love it. It is phenomenal and in fact, with the proper stress relief of the head unit, there is nothing to complain about. I think it topples Westone even!

Are u referring to CK100?
icon10.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #53 of 76
oh damn... I am referring to the CK100. I realise, I might have been a bit... (beer) when writing that. My head has returned, but there another vast ocean of alcohol in me now... I did mean the CK100. Great phone. If the CK100 had its build, it would be the best buy I think.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #54 of 76
shigzeo, do you mind comparing the UM3xs to the Ck10s? I'm guessing the 3xs have more prominent mids and bass? And I highly suspect that the Ck10s have more treble gauging from the descriptions here.

What resolves more detail? Is smoother? Has more defined vocals?

Why do you prefer the Ck10s over the UM3xs?

Many thanks!

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #55 of 76
I think people who are looking for the ultimate in detailed, yet smooth listens and good stages should look into the ck10 over the um3x. The only thing the um3x has (imo) over the ck10 is real strain relief. Though, i would not trust the um3x to last through a summer of bicycle riding nor a winter of minus 30 commutes to work. the ck10 is my favourite of all time. had its stresses been done better, i think it would be worth the msrp.

as it is, i would not pay more for it than 200$ because it can be had for that price and is sold street that price anywhere. no earphone which is self respecting really should sell for more than that if the ck10 is as good as it is for that price. ck100 and um3x have more drivers, fine, but when it comes down to it, all they are doing is providing a different signature, which some will like, and others will not.

i cannot do a direct comparison of the um3x and the ck10 as i don't them at the same time. my ck10 was sold simply because, as much as i like to buy and sell, universals hurt my ears unless i use comply, but that stuff goes bad too quickly. now, i buy, love and sell a few months later to make back what i lost in the process.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guyz,

will these Single-flange silicone eartips for in-ear earphones. be any better than the included tips (they look pretty much the same to me...)

Can you please help with this?

I also consider the Comply T400, but their site refers to the CK7 being compatible wiyh them and will not mention the Ck10.
Does anybody know if they will fit?

Finally I have a stock of olives at home but the tube inside is rather small to fit to the CK10. What is the trick to decore them?

Thanx!
atsmile.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #57 of 76
Shigzeo, what do you think about CK100 vs CK10?
Before i bought Ck100, i auditioned CK10 also at the Taiwan Audio Technica sound room. Before i heard the CK100, i really liked CK10, the transparency is like nothing i've heard, at the cost of very little bass. The sound is incredibly clean. However, when i moved on to the CK100, it felt less transparent compared to CK10 at first, but the bass is much more prominent, and the overall sound is more lush and rich. After listening to CK100 for about 20 mins and going back to CK10, the difference was almost night and day for me. CK10's sounded so dry and thin , and thats why i ended up getting CK100. What do you think?

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #58 of 76
I really think it had to do with insertion (I refer to the CK10 sounding thin & dry).

My experience says they' re full bodied and lush, full of detail and ambience. Dry would be the last word that would describe these.

Please try to express opinion after you have acquainted yourselves with a product.

Iems usually take some time that may range from minutes to weeks (depending on experience) in order to fit properly and thus perform as designed.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really think it had to do with insertion (I refer to the CK10 sounding thin & dry).

My experience says they' re full bodied and lush, full of detail and ambience. Dry would be the last word that would describe these.

Please try to express opinion after you have acquainted yourselves with a product.

Iems usually take some time that may range from minutes to weeks (depending on experience) in order to fit properly and thus perform as designed.

Well i did say i've tried the CK10 and I'm pretty sure i got a pretty good seal. I A/B tested it with the CK100 for at least 2 hours before i made my decision. Not like i wanted to pay an extra $100+ premium over the CK100 if i didn't have to. I just said its less full COMPARED to the CK100.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #60 of 76
Hello Kwang, I prefer the CK10 simply because it works for a larger variety of music (for me) and the fit is much better in my ears. Both are great and I prefer the build of the CK100, so would be tempted to go that route (if I find a good price). But, the CK10's less 'lush' or forward mids means that it works great with genres which are not as much mid oriented. As for bass, I get about the same amount with either, but there is a thicker sound on the CK100.

Loves them both and I wish I never had used the CK100... I might just have to trade or sell my nearly beloved SM2 from earsonics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back