My review of Audio Technica ATH-CK9 and ATH-CK10
Sep 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #31 of 76
Then I assume the CK10 don't isolate that well...

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #32 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I assume the CK10 don't isolate that well...

Depends on what you compare!

Most likely it will not isolate as much as an Ety or Shure, but it will be more comfy. You chose...

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #35 of 76
shigzeo, seeing that you're hereabouts at the moment, I'll repeat a question that I asked of you a few posts back.

"Would you say that the CK10's have more in common with the sound of dynamic earphones than the SE530 and the UM3X? I ask this because I think I might favour the sound traits of dynamic earphones over balanced armatures."

Ta.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #36 of 76
The CK10 are more like the armature phones that they are. They are very cohesive across the frequency range and have good top to bottom soundstage height though. Those traits really are dependent on design anyway and not driver type. They are much lighter hitting than the dynamics esp. IE8/C710/FX500. Lighter, quicker and slanted toward treble emphasis.

Anyone interested in the CK90PRO? They talk about improved bass with this one. Not sure just how improved. Seems affordable though limited availability so far. On Audiocubes, it is $50 less than the CK10, although their prices are silly it seems to show the 90PRO more affordable than the CK10/100 when they first came out.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #37 of 76
Anyone have experience with the CK100? I was thinking of buying the CK10s but now that I think about it, I might as well jump the middle stone given the bad experience I had with the CK9s.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone interested in the CK90PRO? They talk about improved bass with this one. Not sure just how improved. Seems affordable though limited availability so far. On Audiocubes, it is $50 less than the CK10, although their prices are silly it seems to show the 90PRO more affordable than the CK10/100 when they first came out.

The CK90Pro incorporate a new "horn" design in the earpiece...

In Ear Matters

This is something to be investigated as far as the actual sonic signature is concerned. It might be a benefit but it remains to be verified (or not...)

The design is different. The 90pro looks bulkier than the CK10.

I vote for the CK10. Classic value...

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #40 of 76
From experience in the broader field I can verify that as far as sound equipment is concerned, more does not necessarily mean better.

Every "more" claim from manufacturers must be treated with caution.

If we believe all the claims made, perfect sound should have been a reality decades ago. As you all know, this is not the case...

As a buyer who wishes to spend his money in a wise manner one should look for a well designed, well balanced product that fits his budget and meets his needs (and tastes).

...and stick with it!

"More" will be always available...

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #41 of 76
indeed. marketing and reality are often two very different things. often, i said, but i should have said 'usually'. the CK10 is simply amazing, a headphone able to stand toe to toe with other, more expensive dual and triple models from a variety of brands. it can isolate very well if you get rid of the horrid AT sleeves and utilise comply, self-made earplug foams or others.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CK10 are more like the armature phones that they are. They are very cohesive across the frequency range and have good top to bottom soundstage height though. Those traits really are dependent on design anyway and not driver type. They are much lighter hitting than the dynamics esp. IE8/C710/FX500. Lighter, quicker and slanted toward treble emphasis.

Thanks for your response. I see that you owned the Triple.Fi 10 Pro at some stage. Can you compare the sound signature of the CK10 with the Trips?

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #43 of 76
What the CK10 do better than any uinversal BA phone i have tried is smooooooooth highs with great, detailed mids. They are perfectly flat, so quite different than the majority of dynamic phones. Of course, you won't get texture with them as you will with dynamics, but in terms of smooth detail, they are the best I have listened to.

keep in mind, the CK10 is flat. The SE530, UM3X, W3, Tripfi, etc., are not flat in any real sense of the word. The CK10 are probably flatter than the er4s, though their bass response is better. And at 55ohm, they are easier to drive than a majority of iems with impossible loads of like 16ohm etc.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your response. I see that you owned the Triple.Fi 10 Pro at some stage. Can you compare the sound signature of the CK10 with the Trips?

They are similar. They have similar extension on both ends, maybe needing a little more down low but very extended up high. The difference would be the mids are more forward on the CK10 while even at best/ slightly recessed on the UE. The Triple.fi 10 has a bit more bass/bass impact .Soundstage and detail are on equal footing. The CK is more cohesive while you can hear weaker implementation of the crossover in the UE, as if they were weakening it versus their custom models and not making the Triples sound as good as they could. The CK10 is more transparent as the UE has a slight plasticky(maybe not quite the term I want) tone that you can hear if you look for it(esp. in the bass notes) though you can get used to it. As Shigzeo says, the CK10 is smooth and flat, moreso than than the TF 10.

I am a believer that UE "dumbs" down their phones to make their custom have a bigger SQ gap. Put an Enyo cable on the Triples and their flaws pretty much go away. They will sound better than the CK10 but cost more and still are quite large and lack some isolation wise.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the CK10 do better than any uinversal BA phone i have tried is smooooooooth highs with great, detailed mids. They are perfectly flat, so quite different than the majority of dynamic phones. Of course, you won't get texture with them as you will with dynamics, but in terms of smooth detail, they are the best I have listened to.

keep in mind, the CK10 is flat. The SE530, UM3X, W3, Tripfi, etc., are not flat in any real sense of the word. The CK10 are probably flatter than the er4s, though their bass response is better. And at 55ohm, they are easier to drive than a majority of iems with impossible loads of like 16ohm etc.

But you also have the UM3X, which from what I've read is a very smooth sounding phone as well. How would you describe the highs of the UM3X compared to the CK10? Do they extend as far to your ears?

Again, based on what I've read at the UM3X Appreciation thread, I would expect that the UM3X might have the edge over the CK10 in the areas of instrument separation and imaging, which appear to be strengths of this phone, along with its detail retrieval and overall clarity. Have you found that to be so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back