My new King of IEMs (Tony's Triple.fi review)
Dec 15, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #61 of 171
Good move. They sound like heaven, but be prepared to upgrade to the Westone cable. The stock cable is stiff and I hate it. I often find myself fighting with it. It's a pity UE doesn't use the same cable they include with custom IEMs, which is much more flexible.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #62 of 171
Hi guys,

I don't want you to feel backstabbed, but I'm not fully enjoying the Triple fi because of the uncomfortable cable. Maybe my ears have a funny shape (but I think it's more a matter of the sweathers and jacket I use...), but it hardly stays comfortable without pulling.
As I wrote elsewhere, I've ordered the Westone cable but it might take a lot on its way from Singapore. I feel nervous for this, so don't be surprised to see my IC in the for sale forum. I don't see myself fighting with this cable for the next month or two, until the Westone cable arrives.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #63 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I don't want you to feel backstabbed, but I'm not fully enjoying the Triple fi because of the uncomfortable cable. Maybe my ears have a funny shape (but I think it's more a matter of the sweathers and jacket I use...), but it hardly stays comfortable without pulling.
As I wrote elsewhere, I've ordered the Westone cable but it might take a lot on its way from Singapore. I feel nervous for this, so don't be surprised to see my IC in the for sale forum. I don't see myself fighting with this cable for the next month or two, until the Westone cable arrives.

as good as the triple fi are they are let down by design and fit/feel. its a shame to be let down by fit/feel when you have found the sound you love.

ive gotta say it was a huge contribution to me picking the se530 over the triple fi, you just cant live with earphones if they dont feel right, too bad, its a shame to hear that friend

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #64 of 171
Just got them! I'm listening to them as I type. I picked up a pair of Shure SE420 yesterday (I wanted the SE530, but they are impossible to get locally and the Apple Store had only the SE420s), and I have to say these Triple-Fis just kill the SE420. The Shures are going back and the Triple-Fis will be adjunctive to my ER-4S. The Triple-Fis sound great right out of my DAP and even better when amped. I actually find them easier to insert than my ER-4S and while the cable is stiff, it hasn't bothered me so far. I guess if that becomes a problem I can look for Westone cables.

One other thing, these phone have BASS! Lot's of it. I can't imagine how the SE530s might sound in relation but I get the impression that they may have too much bass. There is almost so much bass on these phones that on some songs I wonder if I should attenuate the bass instead of boosting it. Amazing phones! Definitely a keeper! Very detailed and satisfying!

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #65 of 171
Thats too bad. I have no problems with fit or wire and am enjoying them VERY much. If you do end up selling them you might want to check out the Westone 3. The prototype has a similar sound signature and they fit much better (from my understanding). I may end up picking up a pair to complement my triples
eek.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #66 of 171
Quote:

Hi guys,

Yes I noticed the pulling issue also. I was under the assumption that the extension cable will fix that. Let's see. If not, I might just find a clip just like the ER-4S and clip it to my collar in the back. Hopefully that will solve that problem.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #67 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as good as the triple fi are they are let down by design and fit/feel. its a shame to be let down by fit/feel when you have found the sound you love.

ive gotta say it was a huge contribution to me picking the se530 over the triple fi, you just cant live with earphones if they dont feel right, too bad, its a shame to hear that friend

Maybe it's also because I'm very picky about cable comfort: I walk for hours in the city of Milan, I run to catch trains or the underground, I walk up and down the stairs continuously. I need a IEM that "merges" with me, as I listen to music for hours and hours each day.
I didn't like the comfort of the E500 either: there was that huge pod that I couldn't stand, and the clip wasn't very effective on me.
Funnily enough, the ER4P have been the only IEM I didn't have issues to wear around the ear, since I looped them so tightly that the wires were secure. The clip was also the best one I've ever found. Sadly, I won't go back to the Etys now.
It sucks that I've found the perfect sound and I'm not able to enjoy it.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #68 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got them! I'm listening to them as I type. I picked up a pair of Shure SE420 yesterday (I wanted the SE530, but they are impossible to get locally and the Apple Store had only the SE420s), and I have to say these Triple-Fis just kill the SE420. The Shures are going back and the Triple-Fis will be adjunctive to my ER-4S. The Triple-Fis sound great right out of my DAP and even better when amped. I actually find them easier to insert than my ER-4S and while the cable is stiff, it hasn't bothered me so far. I guess if that becomes a problem I can look for Westone cables.

One other thing, these phone have BASS! Lot's of it. I can't imagine how the SE530s might sound in relation but I get the impression that they may have too much bass. There is almost so much bass on these phones that on some songs I wonder if I should attenuate the bass instead of boosting it. Amazing phones! Definitely a keeper! Very detailed and satisfying!

wow you must have a 1 off edition triple fi because they have very similar bass to the se420 and its been said the se420 are flatter than the se530, the se530 do have more bass impact than triple fi's but its in no way overpowering, its just suited to bass heavy music more. the triple fi are certainly not bass heavy but impact clearly better than the etymotics.

your clearly one of those coming from the etymotic background and the more bass is just overwhelming (going by your reaction).

you either love lots of bass or you dont, if you do you will likely prefer the se530 bass, if you dont then why do you like the big bass of the triple fi?
rolleyes.gif
confused??

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #69 of 171
Quote:

Maybe it's also because I'm very picky about cable comfort: I walk for hours in the city of Milan, I run to catch trains or the underground, I walk up and down the stairs continuously. I need a IEM that "merges" with me, as I listen to music for hours and hours each day.
I didn't like the comfort of the E500 either: there was that huge pod that I couldn't stand, and the clip wasn't very effective on me.
Funnily enough, the ER4P have been the only IEM I didn't have issues to wear around the ear, since I looped them so tightly that the wires were secure. The clip was also the best one I've ever found. Sadly, I won't go back to the Etys now.
It sucks that I've found the perfect sound and I'm not able to enjoy it.

what pod?? if you mean the PTH module then why did you let that bring your experience of the phones down, you should have left it off, i think personally the e500 fit as good as um2's and they are considered some of the most comfortable IEM's available. The cable of the e500 is fairly thick but if you use the design of the cable properly it can be made lighter than these one peice cables on most earphones

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #70 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's great to see I've helped some people! I'm interested in your findings about the extention cable.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #71 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what pod?? if you mean the PTH module then why did you let that bring your experience of the phones down, you should have left it off, i think personally the e500 fit as good as um2's and they are considered some of the most comfortable IEM's available. The cable of the e500 is fairly thick but if you use the design of the cable properly it can be made lighter than these one peice cables on most earphones

I mean the cable splitter. I think it has circuits to drive the three drivers on each side.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #72 of 171
Quote:

I mean the cable splitter. I think it has circuits to drive the three drivers on each side.

nope, they are big splitters but simply for a sturdy design and tough joints of the cable. i see where your coming from tho, your talking about the similar inline crossover of the e5c, but the e500 was designed with the crossovers actually in the housing the drivers are in, its illustrated on shures website here

Shure - SE530 & SE530PTH Sound Isolating Earphones

click on the pdf download to see the internal crossovers and not the inline design the e5c had#

the triple fi has the same crossover design built into the actual earpeices

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #73 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomas65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
welcome to the club! this is exactly the reason because I've purchased the westone es2 cable! You'll be delighted with your new cables!
A simple question to all ue's owners, friends it's so unbelievable that ue doesn't take in the proper importance our unsatisfaction with these cables! You have to consider another incredible issue: ue cables for customs earphones are very similar to westone es2 cables, but non custom owner cannot purchase them!
UE speaks out!

Actually I went to the ultimate ears website and found that you can buy the wires for their custom IEM also. They cost $33.

But the question is do these wires fit the super.fi 5 pro? If so, how do they sound?

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #74 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still want to know that and have another question. How much do these change with burn-in? They don't have armature drivers so I am assuming quite a bit. How long does burn in take to be complete on these? Thank you so much!

That's incorrect. The Triple.Fi most certainly use armature drivers, 3 of them. And I found that the sound signature greatly improved after about 20 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back