My new King of IEMs (Tony's Triple.fi review)
Dec 13, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #46 of 171
Hmmm, somebody who want to sell his Triple FI 10 ?

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #47 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you get/put other manufacturers cables on the triple fi? I saw replacement cables available on ultimate ear's web site but how does this work. Any recommendations on what to re-cable it with and where to get the cable? THANKS

I still want to know that and have another question. How much do these change with burn-in? They don't have armature drivers so I am assuming quite a bit. How long does burn in take to be complete on these? Thank you so much!

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #48 of 171
Last thought: I'll try a Westone ES2 cable with my Triple Fi in a couple of months. I want to try a westone feeling with my Triple fi earpieces. Some people who tried it (theory87) think the resulting sound is better than the Westone ES2 (he thinks the same of the normal Triple fi, though).
If someone wants to try a cheaper UE, the Super.fi 5 Pro are said to improve drastically with the ES2 cable.[/QUOTE]

ciao amico: that's true! wesrone es2 cables improve3 dramatically the sound of uesf5pro, I can assure you!
ciao bello!

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #49 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heheh it's not big, it's just long
smily_headphones1.gif
It's only about 1cm thickness, and 10cm width.

Nice, I didn't think it was that small. Want to sell yours? Hahaha.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #50 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Theory, does the same Westone ES2 cable fit both the Superfi 5 and the Triple fi, or do the pins need to have different length?

From what I've read, the prongs on the Westone cable are slightly longer compared to the UE connectors, so you have to trim them a little, but the shape of the basic connector is the same from the pics I've seen.

I tried the UE custom series cable on the Triple Fi, but couldn't tell any difference sound wise.
The plastic "guard" around the prongs seems to be shaped different on the customs cables, so the prongs were exposed a bit on the Triple Fi.
Although the braided cable of the customs felt and looked better, I didn't like that issue (dust/etc could get in) so I sent it back.

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #51 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomas65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ciao amico: that's true! wesrone es2 cables improve3 dramatically the sound of uesf5pro, I can assure you!
ciao bello!

Hahaah ciao! It's good to see me and Fallingwater aren't the only Headfier from Italy! Di dove sei?

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #52 of 171
Tk3, are you enjoying your Etymotic?
Uncle Wilson at Jaben will trim the Westone cable for me.

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #53 of 171
Quote:

Hahaah ciao! It's good to see me and Fallingwater aren't the only Headfier from Italy! Di dove sei?

nice to meet other italian friends on the best forum ever apperaed on the web!
I live in puglia! If you are interested to es2 cables I can send you a PM with details of my purchase on ebay (I own ue sf 5pro and I can assure you that these cables improve the sound, but the the comfort, too) considering that westone doesn't sells in italy.

ciao!
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #54 of 171
Nice to meet you to! How about giving us a detailed comparison between the stock and recabled Superi 5 Pro? We all would benefit from it!

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #55 of 171
Quote:

Nice to meet you to! How about giving us a detailed comparison between the stock and recabled Superi 5 Pro? We all would benefit from it!

well as I wroted in my PM for you the westone cables are less stiffer, more comfortable, and more easy to wear around th ears!
regarding the sound, it came more warmer and full, like a good red italian vintage wine! It's difficult to explain, but the bass are more rich and IMHO the soundstage is more "open" in your head!

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #56 of 171
Quote:

Hey Theory, does the same Westone ES2 cable fit both the Superfi 5 and the Triple fi, or do the pins need to have different length?

same cable can be used on both UE

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #57 of 171
I am having some issues with the Triple fi cable. It's uncomfortable. I never lose the seal, but the cable is so stiff that it pulls the earpieces when I make a sudden move or run. Also, it often goes against my sweather. The cable (and the fact that the earpieces are removable, which I don't like) is the only issue I have with these IEMs. The cable is really that annoying, and I often have to play with the memory wire to make things better. Otherwise, the Triple fi sound like heaven for a IEM. We'll see if this issue gets better when I receive the Westone cable.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #58 of 171
Quote:

I am having some issues with the Triple fi cable. It's uncomfortable. I never lose the seal, but the cable is so stiff that it pulls the earpieces when I make a sudden move or run. Also, it often goes against my sweather. The cable (and the fact that the earpieces are removable, which I don't like) is the only issue I have with these IEMs. The cable is really that annoying, and I often have to play with the memory wire to make things better. Otherwise, the Triple fi sound like heaven for a IEM. We'll see if this issue gets better when I receive the Westone cable.

welcome to the club! this is exactly the reason because I've purchased the westone es2 cable! You'll be delighted with your new cables!
A simple question to all ue's owners, friends it's so unbelievable that ue doesn't take in the proper importance our unsatisfaction with these cables! You have to consider another incredible issue: ue cables for customs earphones are very similar to westone es2 cables, but non custom owner cannot purchase them!
UE speaks out!

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #59 of 171
I'm in the middle of some mods for my Triple fi. If the results are pleasing enough, I'll post everthing here.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #60 of 171
Quote:

I'm trying to "fill" the Etys with a strong bass boost. They sound MUCH better, much fuller. I'm going back and forth between the Triple fi and the ER4S.
I'm listening to Jazz now (Jean-Luc Ponty and Frank Zappa's King Kong): differences in bass are much less pronounced, but the Triple fi seem to have a more musical bass... more impactful. The bass on the Etys is more detailed. Highs sound still more "screechy" on the Etys.

On a side note, the recabled Etys are impressively small. They are as small as I've seen the Klipsch Image to be. The Etys are also more comfortable than the Triple fi... not in regards of fit, but the cable is more comfortable to wear.

After reading your review I am going right after this post to Datavis here in NYC to get the Triple-Fi. I think I really need to try it and I find it easier to trust an ER-4 user since I love those phones.

One thing I have found that is really great with the ER-4 is the LaRocco PR-II amp. It features a subtle bass boost that is designed to act only on the lowest octave and goes from zero to +20dB. You'll have a lot of room to just tip up the lowest octave only, without harming the mids. I have found this combination to be great.

Anyhow, I'm on my way to getting the Triple-Fi, and I'll let you how they go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back