My new Joseph Grado HP2i & HP2is
Jun 7, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you the original owner of these cans? What prompted you to send them in for repair/refinement?

Congrats either way.
biggrin.gif

I bought this HP2 used but in perfect external condition, all the red letters are on the can.

But inside the drivers was too old... now I have a new HP2 and a new improved version of it.

I'm still do the burn in time (incredible !!!)

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #17 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good stuff! Single-ended or balanced? Please post pictures!

They are ready to be balanced, but still with a stereo jack terminated, I'll see if will be better with a full balanced or a SE, depending by the amp I'll adopt with them.

The cans has a double ultrawide grado cable installed by Joseph.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He may possibly own the greatest pair of grado headphones ever!

This is sure !!!
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #20 of 178
The latest two cans I had was a fantastic K340 and a Taket, wen I had compared these cans with the HP2 (before sending to Joseph), I was decide to keep all these cans, but when the HP2 improved arrived to my house; I have sold the two !!! I prefer to have cash for a new driver for the HP2i.

I'm very interesetd to know which one of the 3 amps will be better for this HP2i ...

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #21 of 178
Jun 7, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 178
They look like every other Grado ever made, including that picture of the driver housing with all those holes.

Congratz!

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #24 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A long wait a superb work that Joseph have done on my HP2 were “i” means improved, a new double cable and some other things on the new drivers (I don’t know what…).

My old HP2 is now a NEW one and (I think) a very rare unit because the work of the friend Joseph with his 86 years old…

The can arrived some days ago to my door after 3 mounts of wait, but this is another HP2, incredibly better: new drivers, new cable for another quality of sound. This is MY phones, the only one!

I’m now using them with the EAR HP4 (Fivre 6sl7), but very soon I’ll have coming other two amps, just for the HP2i

1)The TTVJ Millet 307a
2)A hybrid one by an Italian builder with E80CC Telefunken and RGN1054 mesh Telefunken

I’m looking for the best amp for the best cans ever…

Best!
Nik

PS:
Thanks to Martin for helping me to contact Joseph Grado.

////////////////////
Nicola,

I am so delighted to read that these have worked out for you, just as we had hoped!! It was my pleasure to have played a part (:wink:)

Joseph had said your headphones would be an order of magnitude better than his earlier efforts. In listening to your headphones before he shipped them back to you in Montalto Dora I completely agree! In a phrase, your HP2i’s are simply magnificent!!

I know the process was not only expensive but also a real ordeal for you. My many thanks again to you for your patience, but more importantly for your efforts on behalf of our great mentor.

As you know, we came very close to losing Joseph this spring and I will always feel that your faith and prayers played a significant role in his recovery. The refurbishment of your headphones was the project he was working on before his hospitalization and completing his tweaking of them was the first thing he worked on when he came back from the hospital. He spent many hours making sure the results met his high standards. Remember Nicola, long long before Joseph made headphones, he repaired watches for Tiffany's & Co. in New York. His level of craftsmanship is unique in the world today and no one on Earth could have done what he has to your cans … I would encourage you to both enjoy and treasure them!!

When he and I spoke last weekend he was busy perfecting design work on his 48 volt power supplies for his new microphones. Speaking of his new microphones, we finished recording the last of the 33 Spoleto Festival USA Chamber Music Series concerts today – June 7, 2009. Again this year my personal Joseph Grado Signature Holographic Microphone was the microphone used to capture this series and it has done so with suburb results!!
Listeners can currently go online for Spoleto Festival USA coverage to hear what we're getting if they would like; at least until the on-line version is taken down in another week. To listen also to what’s being recorded with this microphone please check out the following links:

ClassicalPublicRadio.org - Spoleto Chamber Music - Spoleto Audio

and:

ClassicalPublicRadio.org - Spoleto Chamber Music - Spoleto Audio

This is a compressed version of the sound, so that it does better over the web. While most folks still feel it’s pretty good your, “mileage might vary” (:wink:) The 2009 Spoleto Festival USA Chamber Music series will be broadcast nationally here in the States in 2010, ahead of the next season for Spoleto and there may well be an on-line version at that time as well.

Also, I notice that the 2008 series, which was also recorded using my mic, is still online, but I’m not sure for how much longer this will be the case. To listen to it, please see link:

ClassicalPublicRadio.org - Spoleto Chamber Music - Spoleto Chamber Music Series - Programs

Lastly the following is a link to some images made of this new microphone technology along with some other images of its inventor and my good friend / great mentor, Mr. Joseph Grado:

Flickr: ctrainbow2005's Photostream

Happy listening,

Martin

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #25 of 178
I have two pairs of HP-2's, one had the general (non I) upgrade by Joe in 07'.
I am considering sending the NOS pair and go full boar for the NOS driver and cable upgrade while Joe is 86 years young. I was speaking with him three weeks back and he shows no sign of slowing down, claiming to be putting in 10-12 hrs. a day on his passions. And speaking of passions, don't call unless you have an hour to spare.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #28 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So jealous! Congratulations. So, does this mean it is possible for someone to still get a new pair from Grado somehow????

No, Joe's doings are separate from Grado Labs and we don't have new members of the HP family (darnit)!

Mr John...if your reading this we would be in full support of a new HP family from Grado Labs.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #29 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two pairs of HP-2's, one had the general (non I) upgrade by Joe in 07'.
I am considering sending the NOS pair and go full boar for the NOS driver and cable upgrade while Joe is 86 years young. I was speaking with him three weeks back and he shows no sign of slowing down, claiming to be putting in 10-12 hrs. a day on his passions. And speaking of passions, don't call unless you have an hour to spare and never mention Opera.....he's a HUGE fan! He won't let you go!

achristilaw,

My wife feels I likely have too many of Joe's phones and other marvels. However, this is one of the reasons we have separate checking and savings accounts (:wink:)

I would agree with you completely regarding Joe’s love (as well as knowledge) of opera. As I was mentioning to Nicola,” long long before Joseph made headphones, he repaired watches for Tiffany's & Co. in New York” for an even longer period of time Joe has been a tenor.

What Nicola didn’t, I don’t think, mention was that he now has two items by Joe which are extremely rare. I believe Joe sent him one of the original CD’s of him singing when he was 75 years young; rightNicola? Like other items produced by our great mentor, this CD is just amazing! Joe still sings to himself while working in his new lab.

If he’s feeling well and also not in the middle of his work he will talk your ear off on the subject of opera. Lastly, he still has the most amazing sense of hearing of anyone and I do mean anyone I have ever known or likely ever will!!

Happy listening,

Martin

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #30 of 178

Users who are viewing this thread

Back