my impression about markl's modded denon d5000
Mar 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

waddragon

Banned
after waiting for a week, i have finally got my denon d5000 back from Markl. Markl did the mod on my phone carefully. The phone's appearance looks exactly the same like my original phone (without having new scratches, dirts,...). From what i remember, the stock d5000's bass is very ridiculous. It mixed the other sounds and makes me feel a little headache due to overbass. After modding, my d5000's bass become better. The bass becomes tighter and more enjoyable now. The stock d5000's sounstage is only 2D (no depth). However, with the mod the depth sounstage has increased and is almost 85% of the depth soundstage of GS1000. By fixing the bass, i can hear other sound more clearlier. I think after modding the sound of d5000 become less warmer than the original stock. However, with a tube amp you still feel the warming sound.
I highly recommend markl's mod to everyone. If you don't know how to do the mod, just ask Markl and he will do it for you (of course, with additional fee)
rolleyes.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by waddragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is the link to his mod instruction
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...0-mods-299627/
Markl tells me that right now his mod is evolved and improves some minor aspects from his original mod.

thanks
biggrin.gif
!

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 41
if i don't have a fitness issue with ath-w5000, i will definitely keep it. However, most of us will have the fitness issue due to its design.
For my GS1000, So far it is the phone with the biggest soundstage that i hear.I think it has a lot of potential but need to be combined with a suitable amp. My rpx-33 isn't a good choice for gs1000. My opera is better for gs1000. And i think tube amp will make gs1000 sing better than my opera especially Zana Deux.
The sound of SA5000 is ok for me but can't compare to gs1000 or w5000 because the sound is kind of flat and is only 2D (no depth).
For the denon d5000, if you don't do the mod, you will feel the bass very strong. And i think it is very suitable for bassheader.However, after modding, the bass become more controled. You can enjoy it for a long period listening without feeling fatigue.
So in my conclusion, if you are new to headfi and want to enjoy music with the best sound but also want to save money. Then you should go for denon d5000 and do the mod.
You can also go for GS1000 but you need to buy a good Tube amp to make it sing the best. The reason why i tell you to buy tube amp instead of solid state amp is that my Opera ,which sounds similar to tube amp, matches with gs1000 better than rpx-33, which is more expensive than Opera.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 41
he charged me 157$(included paypal fee and the shipment back).
he shipped back very fast (ship on thursday and i receive it on saturday)because he chose USPS prioty mail (12$)
So i think if we don't count paypal fee,shipment back, and equipment fee , then he only gets around 110$ for the fee.
that is kind of fair because he needs to spend a few hours to do the mod

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 41
one more thing i want to comment is that denon d5000 is the most comfortable phone that i have owned. GS1000 is also comfortable but less than d5000. you won't feel the existence of d5000 when you wear it during listening(how comfortable it is).

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 41
Interesting reading, though I must say I do not find the bass on my stock D5000s remotely too much, nor the sound stage to lack depth. They are the best headphones I've ever owned. Still, what you wrote does make me consider an upgrade one day.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by peteham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting reading, though I must say I do not find the bass on my stock D5000s remotely too much, nor the sound stage to lack depth. They are the best headphones I've ever owned. Still, what you wrote does make me consider an upgrade one day.

yup before modding , i have also thinked like you. However, after modding I love my d5000 more than ever.
if you are a bassheader, who only loves to hear bass sound, then i think modding is a bad choice because after modding, the bass isn't the main sound in your songs anymore.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

yup before modding , i have also thinked like you.

Quote:

From what i remember, the stock d5000's bass is very ridiculous. It mixed the other sounds and makes me feel a little headache due to overbass.

In your original post you said that the bass gave you a little headache? So you must have noticed that the bass was too heavy for you?

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 41
IMHO the stock D5000 suffer from the "bad bass syndrome". It's not that the bass is really excesive, in fact I have measurements that prove it, but I guess the resonances produced in the wooden cups, and the fact the driver sits too close to the ear for the pads getting thinner than desirable, add some distortion and flabbiness to it.
Compared to DX1000, which have a huge bass response and very enhanced from the rest of the freq range, the stock D5000 sound more bassy and inducing headache (I can listen to the DX1000 for hours without any fatigue) and I'm pretty convinced it's for the bass being resonant, distorted and badly controlled.

If Markl's mod solves that in a good amount, then the D5000 will be some really serious cans. I'll know soon :wink:

Rgrds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back