My experience with MP4Nation (Customer information inside)
Dec 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

frenchbat

500+ Head-Fier
Dear fellow Head-fi users,

I have now quite a story to tell about MP4 Nation, and I thought I’d share this with everyone here, if only for any potential users to know exactly how this shop is working. I’d like to add that I have the ticket thread in a PDF document (19 pages !!) available for anyone to check if they want to. I have edited the names and addresses for safe publication.

To summarize quickly the situation, I have ordered a SFLO2 on January 4th 2011, and after a seemingly attempted shipping about 2 weeks later, it finally arrived at my door in the end of February. At this point I was already deceived by the huge delay, but they offered some free leather cases, which I accepted so I guess it should probably be considered as settled.

Now let’s get to the most interesting and lengthiest part. My SFLO2 began malfunctioning in the end of April after 2 months of light use, and I began asking for help by opening a ticket on MP4 Nation’s website. I got a few suggestions from the rep., but nothing that helped me and the player basically died on me. So I had to send it back to the shop for a replacement. I’ll pass on the difficulties I had to ship it through regular EMS service, because it’s not linked to MP4 Nation itself, but it’s all in the PDF if you want to have a look.

My player was received by MP4 Nation on June 7th and they quickly confirmed the RMA status of the unit, since it wasn’t even turning on. And so the wait began ….

I first asked for an update on July 12th, which was already 1 month later and should have given them enough time to at least have the unit checked. But they told me no update from Teclast factory.

5 weeks : No update

8 weeks : No update

12 weeks : They told me the unit would be back within 2 weeks. At this point I lost patience, and asked for a refund, on the basis that they provided one to a fellow head-fier. It was refused. I then asked for an extension of warranty, which was granted after some negotiation. Kind of a moot point anyway, because who would be willing to go through the same pain for a player that costs less than 150$ ?

14 weeks : I asked for another update, according to the timeline they gave me in the previous contact. They told me it was caught in customs, which obviously wasn’t the case, given what happened later. Here they offered me to send it back by EMS, the only time they actually offered something that could compensate somehow my bad shopping experience.

16 weeks : No update. And they said they hoped it should be there “shortly”.

21 weeks : Here I began pondering the idea of putting the story on Head-fi. The point was to finally get an answer I could believe. Then my player seemed to have magically arrived to the shop, and was definitely beyond repair. They then proposed to send a T51 to replace my unit, which I have finally accepted, out of despair.

Then I had to wait for the unit to be sent ...   

24 weeks : the player arrived at my door, after more than 6 months of wait. And that’s when I realized they actually sent me a 8Gb player instead of my 16Gb initial order, and a 8Gb micro SD Card which I have no use of, since I own a 32Gb micro SD card from before. I don’t know what I was thinking when I accepted to receive a T51, since Teclast doesn’t sell 16Gb units, but the least MP4 Nation should have done is to inform me of this fact.

So that’s it, a wonderful shopping experience ! Thanks MP4 Nation for providing me with the ultimate reason to not shop with you anymore.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 40
Congratulations - I believe you are customer #10,000 to be stung by MP4Nation. What stuns me is that different Head-Fiers are still prepared to put up with them because they are so cheap. Sounds like a massive case of 'false economy' to me.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 40
Ha ha, yeah most likely. The thing is, everyone talks about the delivery delay, which can be dealt with. I had that problem, but they kind of took care of it.

What hurts much more is the warranty handling which is just an order of magnitude worse than their delivery problem. And unfortunately this is not something that is talked about much. Hence this thread.

Quote:
Congratulations - I believe you are customer #10,000 to be stung by MP4Nation. What stuns me is that different Head-Fiers are still prepared to put up with them because they are so cheap. Sounds like a massive case of 'false economy' to me.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 40
Fair enough - I figure any company too inept to get the initial deliveries out on time arent going to suddenly lift their game at other points in the customer experience. Its interesting that even Dell seem to have gotten better at customer relations (apocryphally - I wouldnt buy from Dell if you pointed a shotgun at my knees) - I guess it just takes time and millions of dollars  :wink:

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 40
Don't get me started on Dell ...

Quote:
Fair enough - I figure any company too inept to get the initial deliveries out on time arent going to suddenly lift their game at other points in the customer experience. Its interesting that even Dell seem to have gotten better at customer relations (apocryphally - I wouldnt buy from Dell if you pointed a shotgun at my knees) - I guess it just takes time and millions of dollars  :wink:

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 40
I am a little surprise by both your experience. I have just recently started dealing with mp4nation and they have been fantastic to me. They always ship the item the following day after I paid them and the items arrived promptly.

For example, I have just received the leather case for the S:Flo 2 that I ordered last Saturday night just now when I opened my mailbox. On the other hand, the Teclast T51 I ordered earlier on from ownta is still nowhere in sight.

I think that the DAP (S:Flo 2 aka T51) is having a lot of QC issues which is why mp3nation decided to stop carrying them anymore. I am sure if you order FiiO products from them, the purchase experience would have been much better.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 40
When i ordered my fiio e5 from them i had no issues. They were prompt and i received it with no problems.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 40
No shop is exempt from product failure or delivery delay or whatever. It's actually how the shop is taking care of you when ths s**** hits the fan, that you can see what is their level. Problem with MP4 Nation is that they seldomly give reliable info, as the ticket log is proving.

Besides, the SFLO2 is/was their own product, it's their brand, not whatever brand. During the 6 months I have been waiting, they were delivering other clients. So I have difficulties to believe that they had so few information from the factory. Basically, it's OK when the money comes in, but not when it goes out ? Bad customer service, end of story.

I'm happy for you if you've been delivered fast from them, but just think about it for a minute : what if you happen to be in my situation with one of the things you bought from them ? That's hands down the worse customer service I've seen, and in my opinion one should always know what is the worse thing that can happen to know the true level of a shop.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 40
i ordered the DUNU Trident from them and got them with no issue, then i ordered a Soundmagic E10 from them, this is what happened:

1)i checked 5 days after the transaction was finished, they didn't ship so i asked them why.

2)they said they will ship today

3) checked everyday after they responded and after another 5 days (10 days after the transaction) i asked again

4) they said they will ship today, they didnt

5) checked everyday after that for another 3 days (so thats 13 days after the transaction), then asked...again

6) they said they will ship it today, after a few hours, it was 'shipped' with a tracking number, which was invalid 

7) after waiting another 16 days for the package, the tracking number wasn't valid. So i asked PayPal for a refund and i got my refund.

i will never buy from MP4Nation again

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 40
Sounds familiar ...

Quote:
i ordered the DUNU Trident from them and got them with no issue, then i ordered a Soundmagic E10 from them, this is what happened:

1)i checked 5 days after the transaction was finished, they didn't ship so i asked them why.

2)they said they will ship today

3) checked everyday after they responded and after another 5 days (10 days after the transaction) i asked again

4) they said they will ship today, they didnt

5) checked everyday after that for another 3 days (so thats 13 days after the transaction), then asked...again

6) they said they will ship it today, after a few hours, it was 'shipped' with a tracking number, which was invalid 

7) after waiting another 16 days for the package, the tracking number wasn't valid. So i asked PayPal for a refund and i got my refund.

i will never buy from MP4Nation again

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 40
Through the internet people with issues are more likely to complain then people with no issues are likely to praise. I will take these with a grain of salt and i suggest everyone else does to.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 40
Everything is here for everyone to see, as per the PDF in the first post. It's meant as an informative thread, not a smearing one, that's why I documented the communication between the shop and me. But take it as you please. I just hope you never get in the same situation as me.

I suppose MP4Nation would redirect you directly to FiiO if you're in need of a warranty, easy, no responsibilities for them.

Quote:
Through the internet people with issues are more likely to complain then people with no issues are likely to praise. I will take these with a grain of salt and i suggest everyone else does to.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:
Everything is here for everyone to see, as per the PDF in the first post. It's meant as an informative thread, not a smearing one, that's why I documented the communication between the shop and me. But take it as you please. I just hope you never get in the same situation as me.

I suppose MP4Nation would redirect you directly to FiiO if you're in need of a warranty, easy, no responsibilities for them.

Agree. Most retailers nowadays just redirect warranty issues back to the manufacturers. All they do is just to list the items and to sell them. Anything else is not their problem.

Maybe that's why I still like to get things from Japan =)

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #14 of 40
what pisses me off the most is that they lied to me too much, they told be they will ship it that day 3 times and they didn't ship it, They didnt ship it at all, just gave me a random tracking number that is invalid (no its not cause it take a few days for them to process it, it was even invalid after 16 days)

and all they did was waste my time, btw what happened to me is in post 9 in this thread

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 40
Just noticed you are all outside of north america. Perhaps it's just issues with getting things to your select countries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back