my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Mar 31, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #121 of 675
So your 3.3V is good and you just need to worry about the +2.5V?

If your -2.5V is good, you can take a wire and attach 1A to 1B and run with an unregulated positive rail (assuming you have no 2.5V regulator on the board).  Might have a bit more noise, but it will work as the LMH6643 is spec'ed to run at up to +-5.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #122 of 675
would I be better to connect the positive sides of C22 and C28 together? (maybe a little more smoothing?) Yes all other voltages are right on the money!!!

Jeeze, I wish I could understand what was wrong!

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #123 of 675
ok I connected 1A to 1B as you suggested, 2mV offset of one channel and 3.2 on the other. But no sound!?? what can I check? Ive set it up as default, set it up in ASIO4ALL, I dont get it.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #124 of 675
What's your voltage at the 4.75V point?

So Windows has recognized and you can select?

Just to the left of U4, you will see three via's very close to each other.  None of these should be connected to ground.  There is also a trace just above those.  That should not be connected to ground either.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #125 of 675
Man this is getting tough! Ok, looks like there was a short there! I re flowed and now 3 out of 4 seem great, the center of the 3 is ~3ohm to ground, I scraped and re flowed and nothing! cant get that to go away. anywhere else thats connected (other then on U2, checked there)

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #128 of 675
OMG that took forever!!! but, im hearing music now!! lets see if it holds up. litterally hours resolder over and over, finally I thought, heat the pin up where the invisible short is a tr and blow the short away, seems to have worked!!

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #129 of 675
Ok so for the last two hours its been working and not working randomly. just now it was working for about 30 minutes and then crackled a little then nothing. It seems like the i2s lines are really sensitive or something, its not in a case and I wonder if it has to to with the non regulated + voltage. I guess I will take it to work tomorrow and blow it out with the air compressor. Maybe theres something in there or maybe the thermal paste is in fact effecting it.

Either way, this has been the hardest thing I have ever built! I swear it had some perfect looking solder joints but I guess they just werent good enough. Gotta remember to check, double check, and triple check next time!

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #130 of 675
I AM IN HEAVEN FINALLY! so I woke up this morning with a new idea. I held the corner of the dac over a stove element to heat it up and then gave it a tap to shake off excess solder (we do this when tying and soldering spokes on a bicycle wheel, although a lost art). all better! Its been playing for an hour now!

SO, i think I can give a first impression while I enjoyed some tunes and had a coffee. One word comes to mind every time I upgrade my sound system, and that is detail. I heard clicks and taps I have never heard before in songs. I even played one song twice just to make sure I wasnt crazy! It feels like a big improvement over the Aliendac for sure, but time will tell!

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #133 of 675
Glad you got it working.  Now if my parts will only get here.  I've got the 2707 mounted and that's it.  All the other parts are waiting to be picked up in Florida next time a flight goes there. 

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #135 of 675

Quote:
I AM IN HEAVEN FINALLY! so I woke up this morning with a new idea. I held the corner of the dac over a stove element to heat it up and then gave it a tap to shake off excess solder (we do this when tying and soldering spokes on a bicycle wheel, although a lost art). all better! Its been playing for an hour now!

SO, i think I can give a first impression while I enjoyed some tunes and had a coffee. One word comes to mind every time I upgrade my sound system, and that is detail. I heard clicks and taps I have never heard before in songs. I even played one song twice just to make sure I wasnt crazy! It feels like a big improvement over the Aliendac for sure, but time will tell!

YAY!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back