my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Mar 29, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #93 of 675
Your 3.3 regulator is passing too much current.  As I said, follow the traces from it and check for shorts to ground on everything.  As a simple check, check the resistance on the output of the regulator to ground.

For the 2.5V regulator, it is not regulating.  Check for a short between 1A and 1B.

All the other points I'd be happy with.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #94 of 675
Ok, trying to icolate the problem. Ive removed L3 and L4and now 3.3 is 3.3! so I guess maybe U2 has a short? I really cant see where, I've gone over it with Desoldering Braid and a solder sucker. ALSO now 1B and 2.5 are giving -0.81. all other points check out. Ideas? Im all out of them.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #96 of 675
Ok, it gets weirder! I changed U7 and now my 2.5 is back up to 4.15ish. I removed L3 and L4, re-installed L3 and U1 seemed to be fine, and my computer reconized it! ok, I thought its all better, installed L4, boom 3.3 back down to 0.81. removed L4 and its the same, removed L3 and its back to 3.3. Soo Iim guessing theres a short on U2 but I have no idea where or how to remove it now.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #98 of 675
I just got my board today and was planning to take pictures as I go.  I'll try and get some good close shots and post them later tonight.  This board is huge compared to the skeleton dac board.  Most all the parts I ordered are sitting in Florida waiting to be picked up on the next run to the states that the guys here do.  Hopefully I will have all of it by the end of the week. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #99 of 675
OK more, I've gone over this thing like a mad man (I dont work today) and I think VDD is connected to ground somewhere... and I think it shouldnt be. yes? no? maybe? 3.5ohm <EDIT EDIT EDIT

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #101 of 675
welli fried  my last 2.5 reg i think...but heres a weird discovery, i have no u9, L3, U7 and C34 installed. voltage at 1B started around 4.5 and is droping  0.01v per 2 seconds.

EDIT: I guess thats just a cap bleeding down, wow I'm really looking too hard.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #102 of 675

Quote:
OK more, I've gone over this thing like a mad man (I dont work today) and I think VDD is connected to ground somewhere... and I think it shouldnt be. yes? no? maybe? 3.5ohm <EDIT EDIT EDIT

Vdd which is 3.3v should be higher that 3.5 Ohm to ground. 

You have a short.  Which is why the regulator is not regulating - it is current limiting.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #103 of 675

Quote:
Ok, it gets weirder! I changed U7 and now my 2.5 is back up to 4.15ish. I removed L3 and L4, re-installed L3 and U1 seemed to be fine, and my computer reconized it! ok, I thought its all better, installed L4, boom 3.3 back down to 0.81. removed L4 and its the same, removed L3 and its back to 3.3. Soo Iim guessing theres a short on U2 but I have no idea where or how to remove it now.

Okay.

Seems like you have some weird shorts.

I check for bridges by looking at the pins I want to check and then tilting the PCB to look down between the pins (rather then from above).  I also find it helps to have the board turn so the row of pins is perpendicular to your body rather than parallel.  I have had bridges deep behind the pins, which the only way to fix was to add more solder to touch to bridge and then wick it all off.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #104 of 675

Quote:
welli fried  my last 2.5 reg i think...but heres a weird discovery, i have no u9, L3, U7 and C34 installed. voltage at 1B started around 4.5 and is droping  0.01v per 2 seconds.

EDIT: I guess thats just a cap bleeding down, wow I'm really looking too hard.

You are correct on the cap - it is C31.

What are you using as the ground when you measure 1B?

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #105 of 675
All my measurements use one of the corners for ground or the spot beside 1A.

Could the short be because of my trick? I usually use a little bit of thermal paste to hold the larger IC's in place when soldering. It says its not conductive to electricity.

I have looked from all angles, I guess I will cover all the pins with solder and wick it all away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back