My current Mahler Survey
Oct 1, 2008 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
As of now, I currently own at least 35 versions of every Mahler symphony....for the 2nd and 9th I own over 45. I try to get my hands on every available Mahler recording.

I've been very sick lately and Mahler's music has grown to be an even more important part of my life than it was before and I listen to his music daily, hours at a time as part of therapy for my mood.

I wanted to share which recordings of the works are my absolute favorite these days. My opinions often change on which recording I think is best, but I thought I'd share my recent thoughts since I 've been living with the music consistently and daily.

For the 1st symphony I choose Bernstein's final recording of the work with the Concertgebouw.

For the 2nd I choose Zubin Mehta's 1975 recording with Vienna. Christa Ludwig's performance is one of the best and the orchestra is just amazing on this!

For the 3rd I have two favorites........John Barbirolli's with Halle Orchestra on BBC. But I find myself listening more often to Riccardo Chailly's with the Concertgebouw which all in all is probably a slightly less potent performance, but the sound quality is ideal and the orchestra is just incredible.

For the 4th I have some weird opinions.......Lorin Maazel's recording with Vienna and Kathleen Battle has the finest vocal ever recorded for this work, but the conducting is just awful and so I never can listen to the symphony as a whole when I choose this recording. George Szell is often a favorite, and definitely a great allround recording. But the one I've learned to like the most is Michael Tilson Thomas's recording with San Francisco..........The third movement is definitely "too slow" BUT its perfectly played and moves me more than any other version.....the final movement is sung wonderfully as well.

For the 5th.......There is only one recording I will listen to. Rudolf Barshai with the German Youth Orchestra is not only my favorite recording of this work, but in fact I feel it is the finest Mahler recording I've ever heard. No joke.

For the 6th I love Thomas Sanderling's out of print recording. However, I think I've never heard an awful version of this symphony......all of the ones I've heard please me to a major degree.......Sanderling is just my favorite.

For the 7th....I think Bernstein's original on Sony with NYPD is the best performed, but the recording bothers me a lot because the sound has no center....almost like the Stereo Sgt Pepper or Revolver, with the vocals on one side and the drums on the other.....with the Bernstein 7th, the instruments sound like theyre in different rooms. I like Barenboim's a lot, but I even prefer Gielen's wonderful approach with the Baden Baden

For the 8th....my least favorite Mahler symphony......I love Chailly's monumental performance. Why is this my least favorite.....because while its a wonderfully written piece, it is Mahler at his most Grandiose, an ingredient which Mahler's music is often inherently borne with. It's just a little too big for me, but I still appreciate it!

For Das Lied von der Erde.........the greatest alto to ever sing this piece is/was Janet Baker, but I never thought she met a conductor which could match her vision.....this includes Kubelik, Haitink, and Leppard. My favorite recording of this work is Klemperer's with Wunderlich and Ludwig. The best soloist combo ever for this work AND the conducting is brilliant. Yes the inner movements are a little slower than usual, but it doesn't hurt the overall feel whatsoever.

For the 9th, my favorite piece of music, I have learned to adore Seiji Ozawa's recent recording on Sony. This CD is not available in the USA, not even on Amazon..... I bought it from HMV Japan......if you are a lover of this work, you MUST try to acquire this performance. It is unparalleled in my opinion.

For the 10th......Simon Rattle owns this work. His second recording with Berlin is a wonderful attempt at this Semi-Mahler work.

For the Ruckertlieder / Kindertotenlieder Janet Baker / Barbirolli / Klemperer on EMI is a wonderful compilation.

For the Das Knaben Wunderhorn I would stick with Szell which has Fischer-Dieskau and Schwarzkopf.

For the Songs of A Wayfarer.........I'm still not convinced any recording is perfect, but I do prefer the baritone in this work, I will get back to you with more formulated opinion.

For Das Klangende Lied I like Tilson Thomas though I admit this work is not essential

Anyway, I'm just trying to pass the time as I am sick and restless.

Thanks for reading

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 42
Great thread. One can never underestimate the healing powers of music. There is reason we have nowadays Music Therapy.

Unfortunately my collection of Mahler CD's look infantile next to the monumental accumulation you have gathered. So, I cannot really pass judgment or offer any insightful comment. At least the best I can provide is a companion to soothe the restlessness.

David you know and feel just how much Mahler's music means to me. However, to a big shock to myself, Brahms' music has grown so much to me over the past, very difficult weeks. I am not yet sure what it is about Brahms' chamber works and symphonies, but I feel right at home (and mind you I am thrice a vagabond). Not to deter the topic of your thread, but I undervalued Brahms' music ever since I heard it first. I never admired it, but instead fell into the spell of Liszt and Wagner. Not to suggest that by admiration for their music has weakened, but my respect for Brahms has grown. I used to consider him a boring Viennese conservative, sticking to an old regiment of thought, and seeing Wagner as the messiah delivered by G-d Himself to free music from conservatism. How wrong I was.

Brahms' music is a noble force that elevates the human spirit in times of the descend into the abyss. Schoenberg had a discriminate mind when he marshaled the courage to utter Brahms as a forefather of the 12 tone system.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and can get back to be restful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 42
Thanks David for sharing your favorite recordings with us and all the best for your recovery!

I myself have only heard a handful of recordings of each symphony, but find myself sharing a few of your preferences (the 1st, 2nd, and 10th symphonies). Coincidentally, I got an unpleasant feeling a few days ago that the Barshai 5th was going out of print (it has disappeared from the stock of some online retailers here in Europe) and ordered a used copy through Amazon. Reading your comments on this recording, I can't wait for its arrival!

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread. One can never underestimate the healing powers of music. There is reason we have nowadays Music Therapy.

Unfortunately my collection of Mahler CD's look infantile next to the monumental accumulation you have gathered. So, I cannot really pass judgment or offer any insightful comment. At least the best I can provide is a companion to soothe the restlessness.

David you know and feel just how much Mahler's music means to me. However, to a big shock to myself, Brahms' music has grown so much to me over the past, very difficult weeks. I am not yet sure what it is about Brahms' chamber works and symphonies, but I feel right at home (and mind you I am thrice a vagabond). Not to deter the topic of your thread, but I undervalued Brahms' music ever since I heard it first. I never admired it, but instead fell into the spell of Liszt and Wagner. Not to suggest that by admiration for their music has weakened, but my respect for Brahms has grown. I used to consider him a boring Viennese conservative, sticking to an old regiment of thought, and seeing Wagner as the messiah delivered by G-d Himself to free music from conservatism. How wrong I was.

Brahms' music is a noble force that elevates the human spirit in times of the descend into the abyss. Schoenberg had a discriminate mind when he marshaled the courage to utter Brahms as a forefather of the 12 tone system.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and can get back to be restful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey there! Actually, Brahms is the only composer which appeals to me as much as Mahler. My original user name on this site was going to be BrahMahler
smily_headphones1.gif
......nice thoughts about his music
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As of now, I currently own at least 35 versions of every Mahler symphony....for the 2nd and 9th I own over 45. I try to get my hands on every available Mahler recording.

that is dedication.

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 42
David - first, thanks for keeping Mahler alive in this site. Keep it up.

I, too, collect far more Mahler than I will ever need, or can justify. There's always that nagging question, just how does so-and-so do it? I don't collect every recording available, except in the case of the 7th, where I have, I think, every cd version ever offered.

On your list you have one of my absolute favorites, the Mehta 2nd. But you dis my favorite 4th: Maazel. I find the conducting utterly amazing. It's precise, carefully yet naturally nuanced, very faithful to the score, and ultimately beautiful. The best I've ever heard.

For the 7th, although that's the first version many of us of a certain vintage ever heard, Bernstein's first traversal, fine as it is, has been outclassed. If you follow with a score, you'll find it is far from being the best performed as far orchestral execution goes. That title belongs to either Abbado/Chicago or Haitink on his 2nd version. Virtually every recording has orchestral gaffs galore. Even Bernstein, although his DG remake is much better. His worst performance is the DVD with Vienna. THe last movement is loaded with wrong, late entrances and wrong notes.

I agree totally that Rattle owns the 10th -- but only in the Cooke II edition. For non-Cooke, I find Lopez-Cobos and Cincinnati very compelling.

The best Das Lied remains Kletzki, although I wouldn't want to be without Guilini.

And...if you collect all of Mahler, you should also collect the "arr. by Mahler" too. Make sure to have Weber's Die Drei Pintos, the Schumann/Mahler symphonies, the Schubert Death and the Maiden arr. Mahler, Beethoven symphonies 3, 7, 9, and the Bach suite. These arrangements shed a lot of light on the Master's taste and abilities.

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David - first, thanks for keeping Mahler alive in this site. Keep it up.

Indeed, thanks for all the classical music threads and your feedback on the Mahler recordings. I've enjoyed a couple of your recommendations, such as the Radu Lupu Brahms Piano Rhapsodies. Hope to make more inroads into Mahler's repertoire, but Shostakovich and Brahms have been hogging my attention
biggrin.gif

All the best for your recovery.

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 42
Thank you for this post. I have enjoyed many of your recommendations over the past year, especially being relatively new to classical. I would be very interested in picking up the Mahler No. 5 you recommend but a quick search could not find it. Can you provide a link to where I could pick up a CD copy.

This was the closest thing I could find to what you recommended...
http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphon.../dp/B0002IQBB2
Is this the title?

Thanks... hope you feel better...

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for this post. I have enjoyed many of your recommendations over the past year, especially being relatively new to classical. I would be very interested in picking up the Mahler No. 5 you recommend but a quick search could not find it. Can you provide a link to where I could pick up a CD copy.

This was the closest thing I could find to what you recommended...
Amazon.com: Mahler: Symphony Nos. 10 (Reconstruction Barshai) & 5: Gustav Mahler, Rudolf Barshai, Junge Deutsche Philharmonie: Music
Is this the title?

Thanks... hope you feel better...

Yup thats the one!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 42
Great post! My Mahler collection is atm limited to Bernstein's Complete Symphonies collection, so I want to take a look at other interpretations (as soon as I start making some serious money!)

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 42
I've gone all through the Japan HMV site and can't find a new recording by Ozawa of the the 9th. The only recording I can find there of the Ninth led by Ozawa is the recording which dates from 2004. If he's recently recorded it with the Saito Kinen orchestra, please furnish a link!

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 42
^^^ That is funny because I was trying to find the Ozawa recording too. I have never listened to Mahler's 9th and so I thought I would try David Mahler's recommendation. It is impossible to find.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gone all through the Japan HMV site and can't find a new recording by Ozawa of the the 9th. The only recording I can find there of the Ninth led by Ozawa is the recording which dates from 2004. If he's recently recorded it with the Saito Kinen orchestra, please furnish a link!

The 9th I was referring to is the one from 2004. I used the words new to distinguish it from his Philips recording. Very few people know about this release as it wasn't released outside of Japan.....sorry for the confusion.

I'll provide a link Sym.9: Ozawa / Saito Kinen.oyCDz-ƒ}[ƒ‰[/‰¹Šy/HMV

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 42
David, thanks for your help. I just ordered it from HMV. The price with shipping was reasonable too, $34. I hope I learn to like it as much as yourself. By the way, my paintings are finished and so is my apartment. Finally, I now have some free time and I would love to come hear your band play and listen to some of your music. Take Care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back