My cat tore up my Virtual Dynamics Power 3...
Apr 9, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #646 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NT

In response to your subject line, I have to say that this has been one of the more useful threads I've ever read here.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #647 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are suggesting someone else spend their own money on a product, and you benefit materially from the sale, either through cash or credit, you are operating on a commission basis. If you are receiving a discount on your own order, and no one else's money is involved, you are the consumer, not the salesman.

See ya
Steve

Wow! Trying to catch up on what is happening in this thread - way too much to read!!

Since the ethical behaviour of members in this forum have been questioned and some labelled "shills" I feel compelled to add my 2 cents by asking a question of bigshot. I do so in the interests of fairness to members where their integrity has been challenged.

Steve, on this very forum, in a thread discussing the value of historical classical recordings, you championed their value and provided links to a site selling them. You did not mention you were the owner of this site, and presumably make money from sales there, until it was picked up by another member.
How is your behaviour different from what is happening here?
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #648 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzlepaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mechanical dampening in the power three, and all our cables, makes a clear difference.

How many times is Virtual Dynamics going to be permitted to violate the Terms of Service? Like this one:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terms of Service
A Member of the Trade may not review (or make any subjective assessments of) his or her services and/or products he or she manufacturers, represents, sells.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #649 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by sydneyaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve, on this very forum, in a thread discussing the value of historical classical recordings, you championed their value and provided links to a site selling them. You did not mention you were the owner of this site, and presumably make money from sales there, until it was picked up by another member.
How is your behaviour different from what is happening here?
frown.gif

Can you provide a link to that post? I'd be interested in seeing what that site has to sell.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #650 of 773
Presumably, sydneyaudio is referring to this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/wha...rdings-208195/

Though if that is the thread he is referring to, his statement, "You did not mention you were the owner of this site ... until it was picked up by another member" is inaccurate. Bunnyears comments in post 73 of that thread that BigShot's remarks regarding certain historic recordings are biased because BigShot is selling those recordings, but it was quite clear from the earlier posts in the thread (including BigShot's own posts) that the site is BigShot's site. For example, in posts 24 and 68, BigShot discussed the process he used to capture some of those recordings.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #651 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Though if that is the thread he is referring to, his statement, "You did not mention you were the owner of this site ... until it was picked up by another member" is inaccurate. Bunnyears comments in post 73 of that thread that BigShot's remarks regarding certain historic recordings are biased because BigShot is selling those recordings, but it was quite clear from the earlier posts in the thread (including BigShot's own posts) that the site is BigShot's site. For example, in posts 24 and 68, BigShot discussed the process he used to capture some of those recordings.

Yes, thats the one - was going from memory as the "discovery" that bigshot was selling these items struck me at the time after following the thread. I thought bunnyears was surprised to find out he was selling these items when she made her post - but we are both making assumptions about what she did or did not mean....

Anyway, interesting you dug up specific references to explain his behaviour. At the time, after bunny's post, I though his previous links were pure marketing to promote his products.

With the benefit of hindsight and looking through some of his posts again, perhaps he just strongly believes in his passion for historical recordings, and wanted to share his ideas/experience with others? I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. The only reason I bought this up is seeing how others on this thread have been treated - perhaps having similar intentions. And in terms of full disclosure, bigshot has posted in many threads since about various historical music and I am confident most other members of the forum do not realise he sells these items....

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #652 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Excellent, thank you. I'll probably be picking up a couple of those CDs at some point.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #653 of 773
I've been lurking for the past 652 posts, but I feel the need to chime in. I don't think IpodJ did anything wrong, and this is being blown way out of proportion. He explained what happened, so let it go. It's a witch hunt, as far as I can see.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #654 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by sydneyaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve, on this very forum, in a thread discussing the value of historical classical recordings, you championed their value and provided links to a site selling them. You did not mention you were the owner of this site, and presumably make money from sales there, until it was picked up by another member. How is your behaviour different from what is happening here?
frown.gif

I've discussed my work in production here in the context of illustrating issues related to audio restoration techniques and technical matters. I've certainly never made it a secret that I've produced various TV projects, rock videos, CDs, etc. But I have no interest in marketing. I just produce the stuff. Since HeadFi is aimed at hardware, not software, and no one has objected before, I didn't even think of it. I freely admit that I love music and enjoy discussing it. If you really feel that I need to put some sort of mention of the fact that I'm a producer, I'd be happy to do that.

By the way, I just looked at that thread you mentioned. I didn't even mention my site, or link to it. I direct linked to mp3s to show people the sorts of performances that are unique to historical recordings. That isn't at all the same as what happened here. I think iPodPJ honestly didn't realize what he was doing. I think VD knows exactly what they're doing.

See ya
Steve

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #655 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been lurking for the past 652 posts, but I feel the need to chime in. I don't think IpodJ did anything wrong, and this is being blown way out of proportion. He explained what happened, so let it go. It's a witch hunt, as far as I can see.

x2...disingenuous and hypocritical as well.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #656 of 773
Steve,

Thanks for adding real content to the internet... Wow! I wonder if your Chihuahua is named Little Shot.

(Don't see any cables to chew on...)

Take care.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #657 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've discussed my work in production here in the context of illustrating issues related to audio restoration techniques and technical matters. I've certainly never made it a secret that I've produced various TV projects, rock videos, CDs, etc. But I have no interest in marketing. I just produce the stuff. Since HeadFi is aimed at hardware, not software, and no one has objected before, I didn't even think of it. I freely admit that I love music and enjoy discussing it. If you really feel that I need to put some sort of mention of the fact that I'm a producer, I'd be happy to do that.

By the way, I just looked at that thread you mentioned. I didn't even mention my site, or link to it. I direct linked to mp3s to show people the sorts of performances that are unique to historical recordings. That isn't at all the same as what happened here. I think iPodPJ honestly didn't realize what he was doing. I think VD knows exactly what they're doing.

See ya
Steve

I think if you ever had a chance to spend a day meeting us here in Canada you would find us far less objectionable than you seem to feel we are.

I'm not sure who you think I am, or exactly what you think I'm doing, but I can tell you. I am working to support a product that I truly do feel makes a difference, and sometimes I do a poor job. I don't have any training or experience in marketing prior to this job.

We make ends meet here at VD, but it does cost us a lot to bring these products to market. We are open about what we make and how we make it, we are accessible to call and talk to, and we try to take accountability for our mistakes and errors in judgment.

Who am I? Here's a pic

I think that's the end of what I can usefully add.

-Brad

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #658 of 773
Bryston manufactures a full line of high-end audio equipment. This is Bryston's advice (bottom half).

"It is unlikely, to say the least, that a power cord occupying the final six feet of that 50 miles can do anything positive to change the conditions of that power."

DSC00087.jpg

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #659 of 773
Many other Hi-End manufacturers would disagree.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #660 of 773
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if your Chihuahua is named Little Shot.

Her name is Li'l Pal. When I was looking for a dog, I was worried about leaving a puppy home all day long. My boss told me I could bring a pup into the office as long as it was a chihuahua. He has a special interest in the breed.

Whenever I take that suitcase Victrola out, folks look all around for the power cable. They can't believe an acoustic instrument can be so LOUD.

No hard feelings, Brad. You just have to understand that an internet discussion forum is a community. When people aren't on the up and up about the reasons why they say what they say, it causes distrust. Advertising is cool. It should just be clear that it's advertising.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back