My apartment was broken into.
Jul 16, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #16 of 35
Sorry to hear!
I bet it is not feeling knowing your private place have been "visited" by strangers. Hopefully you have insurance who cover the material damage.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did they trash the place? no one saw a thing? horrible....
everytime I am away for a few days, or even overnight I have the worst fear to come home and see the door ajar...the possessions I can always replace, it is the violation that would bother me the most....
good luck to you, hope the police catch them

They didn't trash anything thankfully, they just knocked my CD stack over and pushed my amp/DAC to the ground... they're OK though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XBOX? They're true fiends
frown.gif
I got into Halo 3 so much lately, it's crazy. Hopefully you didn't hook up your CC to the account. That would suck. Call M$ and tell them that it happened, see what they could do. Chances are, they can do better than the police ^^

Good luck anyways, hope you get your xbox back... And your TV (Otherwise it'd be useless, right?)

I don't play online so I'm fine insofar as that is concerned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear what happened, have you file a police report? If you do not have renters insurance find out if there is any coverage through the owner of the place. Best of luck in your new place.

1. I filed one first thing, the officers came over and looked around. Seems whoever broke in likely had a key, so they're investigating the property manager.
2. No, I did not have renters' insurance, and I don't think there is any coverage.
frown.gif
Also, it isn't about the money. My computer had about 3 weeks of a novel I was writing that I hadn't gotten around to backing up on it...

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
****, this happened in TO? What area, break-ins aren't too common there.

Davisville. I didn't expect it, it's not like I'm living at Jane & Finch or anything.

Anyways, thanks all for their kind words, folks. I learned a thing or two about insuring my property this time. All that's left for me to do now is start over. Oh well.
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 35
Hindsight, etc. Renter's insurance is cheap, or at least I was surprised at how cheap it was when I was renting and had it.

Hope the long arm of the law stretches out to whoever did it.

Sorry to hear about the writing being gone.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #21 of 35
Times are going to get worse. I've been fortunate but have had friends that have been ripped. I've been stiffed in business a few times. They know you won't spend the money to pursue it so they just don't pay.

Life lessons suck. Take this opportunity to think on how to safegaurd your future. Bolt down safe for valuables, keep as much put away as possible. Out of sight.......

Good luck!

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #22 of 35
Dang, man that really stinks. 25 years ago I had my house robbed, the feeling of helplessness and being violated was hard to get over. This was in a rural area too. I think what really hurt was that my folks had given me a ring that had belonged to my great grandfather for my 30th birthday just a few week prior to the robbery. They spent a good bit of money replacing the stone.
I just finished installing an alarm system and am saving for the auto-dialing feature.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 35
Did you call the police? Did you dust for prints? If you suspect someone hand them a soda can and when they are done with it dust it for prints. See if they match the ones you lifted in your apartment.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you call the police? Did you dust for prints? If you suspect someone hand them a soda can and when they are done with it dust it for prints. See if they match the ones you lifted in your apartment.

I suggested the cops dust for prints, their answer was that the crime lab would take years to getting around the processing them and not come up with anything in the end.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggested the cops dust for prints, their answer was that the crime lab would take years to getting around the processing them and not come up with anything in the end.

What, no instant DNA results? The guy or guys probably breathed on something.. swab for DNA! Oh wait.. those crime shows really aren't accurate...

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #26 of 35
Man that sucks. This used to happen all the time back when I was in College. I havent personally had experience with it, but a lot of my friends have had similar experiences. Almost none of us had renters insurance at that time. Most of time, its laptops, cellphones and stuff like that. One of my friends infact got robbed at gun point at home, (they were later found and arrested though, and he got all his stuff back). I hope they find these idiots and put them in jail and you get your stuff back.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, no instant DNA results? The guy or guys probably breathed on something.. swab for DNA! Oh wait.. those crime shows really aren't accurate...

I know.
wink.gif
I mostly suggested it as a joke and preceded it by saying "maybe I watch too much CSI or something but..."

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #29 of 35
Yes, booby traps are a wonderful idea. That way, when your house catches on fire while you're out shopping, and the fireman who is checking for your carcass in the burning room gets injured or killed, they'll know who to blame.

Let's not.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that sucks. This is another example supporting the case for BOOBY TRAPS.

Until the crook gets injured and he sues you and you end up losing more then if he had just went ahead and stolen everything.

On a semi-related note. My landlord, ironically enough, broke into my apartment, without permission or warning, to install a chain lock on the door. I do not know if I should feel safer or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back