My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Feb 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #76 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It won't work on the Nanos, they're much too small (Nanos' flash is soldered directly onto its circuit board if I'm not mistaken).

that's what I had suspected... one can hope though
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #77 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that that maybe attributed to its less that stellar internal amp as opposed to the DAC?

o_O?

Yeah, I think thats where the bad sound quality stuff is coming from. There was a site that had a test between I think 4 different players and the iPod Mini was dead last, but that was through the headphone jack (which I seem to recall has been blamed on poor quality capacitors in the signal path or something).

Oh, anyone have a good recommendation for where to find a replacement battery? $10-20 shipped preferably, but I'd like a quality one that exceeds the stock one in capacity at least. The batteries are just plug in, right? No soldering necessary? Thats what scared me away from doing basically this same thing with the Rio Karma.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #78 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I think thats where the bad sound quality stuff is coming from. There was a site that had a test between I think 4 different players and the iPod Mini was dead last, but that was through the headphone jack (which I seem to recall has been blamed on poor quality capacitors in the signal path or something).

Oh, anyone have a good recommendation for where to find a replacement battery? $10-20 shipped preferably, but I'd like a quality one that exceeds the stock one in capacity at least. The batteries are just plug in, right? No soldering necessary? Thats what scared me away from doing basically this same thing with the Rio Karma.

The batteries are plug in. Chances are either ebay or Amazon would be the place to get a battery from.(I got a battery from frys only to find amazon had it for less)

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #79 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The batteries are plug in. Chances are either ebay or Amazon would be the place to get a battery from.(I got a battery from frys only to find amazon had it for less)

I was thinking ebay would likely end up being the best place. Some of the guides I saw talked like it was a crapshoot as for quality on ebay though, so I was just seeing if anyone had a particular seller to recommend. The guides weren't too specific on ebay, and mostly mentioned the dedicated online stores where they want to sell you a kit or have you send it to them (and even just the battery ends up being $30 + shipping). I'll probably stop being a lazy p.o.s. and go look for myself sometime.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #80 of 510
I picked up a battery from here eBay

There's no capacity amount written on the battery; hopefully it's an 850mah. This is the one I got 19 hours on RockBox with. I've had no problems with it.

I also picked up one of these Amazon

I ordered 850mah, but 750mah arrived. The vendor refunded part of the cost. I just put it in a 16GB flash mini last night; one I built for my wife. So, I don't have any run times with it. Plus, she uses the Apple firmware.

-Pony

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #81 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a battery from here eBay

There's no capacity amount written on the battery; hopefully it's an 850mah. This is the one I got 19 hours on RockBox with. I've had no problems with it.

I also picked up one of these Amazon

I ordered 850mah, but 750mah arrived. The vendor refunded part of the cost. I just put it in a 16GB flash mini last night; one I built for my wife. So, I don't have any run times with it. Plus, she uses the Apple firmware.

-Pony

Ah, thank you, thats exactly what I was looking for. Wow, that must be a good sized battery if you pulled 19 hours on rockbox out of it. Nice price too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #83 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So A-data is the only brand confirmed to work in both 1st and 2nd gen mini's correct?

That is what it looks like. I used a transcend on my 2nd Gen mini and it worked but, it would not work with rockbox(It would need to have a patch applied) Now I have the 32gb A-Data and when it came to loading up rockbox, it worked with no problems.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #85 of 510
ok, so i bought a 2nd gen ipod mini for $75 shipped, and a 16gb compact flash from newegg for $65.. total $140 for a 16gb flash player... good or bad?? anyways, when i get them, i will install the 16gb asap, and also install rockbox onto it as well..

now all i need is a good amp that will go well with the mini..

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #87 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, so i bought a 2nd gen ipod mini for $75 shipped, and a 16gb compact flash from newegg for $65.. total $140 for a 16gb flash player... good or bad?? anyways, when i get them, i will install the 16gb asap, and also install rockbox onto it as well..

now all i need is a good amp that will go well with the mini..

Depends on how you look at it. You can't even get a 16GB flash iPod from Apple unless you spring $400 for the Touch, but at the same time the Sansa View 16GB can be had for I think about $170 and its got an expansion slot so you can always increase its capacity. Of course its hindered by the being a Sansa (ok sound, not the greatest interface, plasticky), but it does also include a bunch of other features (radio, microphone, video playback, even better battery life).

I'm personally looking at the Headsix/Corda XXS, as they have a similar footprint size to the Mini and should be a good sound match to liven it up. The Mini^3 would be good as well I think, as would the Little Dot MKI, and any number of other good portable amps.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #89 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it runs RockBox - Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware - check it out.

-Pony

A year ago (before 32gb CF drives) I replaced the microdrive in my Zen Micro with an 8gb Flash CF drive, works fine. Now I want to get another micro cheap, maybe a photo, and throw this in there.
biggrin.gif

I wish there was rockbox for Creative players.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #90 of 510
Thanks for this thread guys. I've been wanting to replace my 5G 30G iPod with a Flash based player. This looks like an ideal solution.

After I get a modded mini going, I could probly sell my current iPod for the same amount :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back