My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Jan 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 510

PouncePony

100+ Head-Fier
Let me un-highjack the "Cheapest 16GB ogg-enabled player thread.

I've replaced the 4GB micro-drive in an IPod Mini with a 32GB compact flash card. Here is where the idea came from.

IPod Mini - eBay purchase, $50 total
A-Data 32GB compact flash card - from NewEgg $135.
High capacity battery for the mini yet to arrive - eBay $5

After I getting it all together and RockBoxing it, I have a 32GB flash, OGG playing, FLAC playing, parametric equalizing, cross feeding, line-outing player. All for $190.

A 16GB CF card can be found for $60. That would make total cost about $115.

After a little effort, I got it. At first ITunes didn't want to restore the new drive. I had to put in the original drive, update the firmware from 1.3 to the latest. Then I switched back to the 32GB flash and viola.

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1455_redo.jpg

The write speed on the card is pretty slow, but the read/transfer speed is plenty fast. I am still waiting on the replacement battery.

To answer defsquad's question from the other thread, I have a RSA Predator to hook up to. My IEMs are UM1s. I just sold a pair of SE530s to get some UM2s; I don't have them yet. I also have a pair of HD580s that I typically use with the Predator and my computer. I plan on getting some HD25-1 IIs soon.

-Pony

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 510
HOLY **** NICE
WHY AREN'T OTHER COMPANY DOING THIS? (Looks at Cowon iAudio 7 needs 32gb..16gb not good enough)

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 510
Sweet idea, and sweet price for a 32gb flash player!

Only problem is it's an iPod.
tongue.gif

Anyone knows of other models that can accept large CF cards in place of microdrives? IIRC the Rio Carbon can't... not sure about the others (Archos XS100? Iriver H10?)

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

Anyone knows of other models that can accept large CF cards in place of microdrives? IIRC the Rio Carbon can't... not sure about the others (Archos XS100? Iriver H10?)

But it runs RockBox - Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware - check it out.

-Pony

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 510
I know Rockbox, but I have a general dislike for Apple products. I might just get a mini and flash it as you did if I can't get anything else, but a different player would be much better for me.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 510
thanks for the writeup pony, and for answering my questions.

i think i'm going to sell my 5.5 80gig video and go with this setup. 32gig should be enough for all flac audio, 'sides i don't listen to all the music i have on this 80gig anyway.

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 510
no, microdrives went up to 12gb (the vibe) but then since the only company making them was IBM, and they sold their hard drive division to hitachi, nand memory based compact flash cards seemed more economical then minatirization of hard drives,

if a 16gb SD card costs 70 bucks on newegg, and a SD card has ALOT less physical space to put in nand chips (a SD card can fit 1 or 2 nand chips), while a compact flash can easly fit 4-8, a nand based 32gb compact flash at 135 bucks is more then logical, becuase of the ability to use lower density chips,

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How good is the Mini dac? Would it be worthy of being imodded?

According to Germania, Link, it's a "fantastic" DAC.

A iModded Mini would be cool; someone call Vinnie.

-Pony

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

iRiver H120 CF Mod Attempt - Success!

How easy is this sort of thing to do? I've been looking round and can't really find anything to replace my iriver 120. Quite like the idea of having a 8 gig flashed flac playing iriver. Only problem is cost really. Once I've got the parts together I might as well have bought the new sony or whatever...

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 510
Great idea and work!
biggrin.gif

$190 is not that bad for a 32GB solid state DAP.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidcotton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iRiver H120 CF Mod Attempt - Success!

How easy is this sort of thing to do? I've been looking round and can't really find anything to replace my iriver 120. Quite like the idea of having a 8 gig flashed flac playing iriver. Only problem is cost really. Once I've got the parts together I might as well have bought the new sony or whatever...

I don't know if this can make you feel better, but I would prefer the iRiver H140 over any new sony players, or such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back