My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
Jan 31, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #32 of 510
Excellent mod! Does anybody know whether this mod can be done to all micro-drive/ flash-drive players? Namely the Cowon D2. I'm not sure whether or not the Cowon will let you install a different flash drive since I believe the connection is proprietary.

Does anyone else have any experience with various flash players?

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #33 of 510
watch out what generation you're getting. The 1st gen battery life with rockbox is TERRIBLE. I have a 1st gen mini with rockbox and I get about 3 hours battery life with a new eBay battery. I use the apple firmware on the go because of this (lasts more than twice as long). The second generation minis have much greater battery life, however (8 vs 18 on apple firmware). With flash memory you can probably add about 2 hours onto the battery life (source: the same website that documents the mod). 32gb with a 5 hour battery does not match up well.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #34 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by No_One411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent mod! Does anybody know whether this mod can be done to all micro-drive/ flash-drive players? Namely the Cowon D2. I'm not sure whether or not the Cowon will let you install a different flash drive since I believe the connection is proprietary.

Does anyone else have any experience with various flash players?

cowon d2 is not a microdrive player. the flash chips are soldered to the board and there is no connector. it won't work.

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #35 of 510
Just curious, which 32gb card are you using with your mini? I'd like to get the right one.
biggrin.gif

And yeah, I got a 2g.

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #36 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, which 32gb card are you using with your mini? I'd like to get the right one.
biggrin.gif

And yeah, I got a 2g.

This is the card I'm using : A Data

As I posted earlier, writing to it is pretty slow, but the read transfer rate is plenty fast.

-Pony

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #37 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the card I'm using : A Data

As I posted earlier, writing to it is pretty slow, but the read transfer rate is plenty fast.

-Pony

Yup, that is the only 32gb CF drive out right now, Samsung has 32 and 64gb models in the works, and Transcend is supposed to release a 133x 32gb CF drive sometime around spring-summer.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #38 of 510
I had installed a 8gb Transcend compact flash card into my 2G ipod mini last night and it worked(apple firmware) but, when I tried to install rockbox it did not work. After spending some time reading the rockbox forum it looks like the Transcend card's do not work with rockbox, where the compact flash cards made by A Data will work.(I cannot comment on other brands.)

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #39 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had installed a 8gb Transcend compact flash card into my 2G ipod mini last night and it worked(apple firmware) but, when I tried to install rockbox it did not work. After spending some time reading the rockbox forum it looks like the Transcend card's do not work with rockbox, where the compact flash cards made by A Data will work.(I cannot comment on other brands.)

That's good to know. Luckily last week I ordered the 32gb A-Data from Newegg. I'll post pics and impressions once I get mine done.

I'll likely change the battery later, I just want to make sure it works smoothly before I spend any more money on it.
cool.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #40 of 510
I received and installed what was advertised as a 850mah battery for the mini. Link I say advertised because I got it off of eBay and the packaging and battery have no capacity markings on it. I did the RockBox battery benchmark test with a playlist of 50+ 192VBR MP3s and got 18 hours of playback. I haven't done a test with the Apple firmware; I never use it.

-Pony

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #41 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to know. Luckily last week I ordered the 32gb A-Data from Newegg. I'll post pics and impressions once I get mine done.

I'll likely change the battery later, I just want to make sure it works smoothly before I spend any more money on it.
cool.gif

The only glitch I ran into was when I reattached the molex connector to the mini board I put it all back tougher and it wouldn't start up, so I took it apart again and I saw that the connector was not connected.(I find it funny when I think of it, since the problem was due to not paying enough attention to what I was doing.)

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #44 of 510
18 hours? isn't that the rated battery life for the stock Mini? You would think that a flash drive + rockbox would yield a longer lasting battery life. (I know Rockbox isn't as efficient as the apple os)

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #45 of 510
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very straight forward. Check out iFixIt

I'm not saying it can't be screwed up, but I had no real problems.

-Pony

Its too bad you cant hook up two 32Gb cards in it,for 64 total.I want a Ipod 3G/6G with 64Gb's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back