My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members
Mar 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #481 of 502
I get what you're saying, but while it becomes more organized inside the thread, it causes confusion in the sub-forum. The parallel questions and answers you mentioned (Q2, A3, etc) aren't ideal and I see that in the in-ear recommendations thread, but since we have the quote option to avoid confusion as to whom the answer is directed it becomes a lesser evil.
A good way to deal with duplicates, whichever method a forum uses, is to have a sticky (or first post in the "what should I buy" thread) naming the usual recommendations for a genre and price genre, with links to reviews. We have this in the other audio sub-forum I go to and it works well.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #482 of 502
Quote:
They don't get the message for a few hours after they join (intentionally), so you'll still see quite a few newbie threads for now.

I just got a strange PM from a new member. He said his "PM's are limited because he is new and would I please email him directly" and then he left his email. At any rate, my red flags went up so I didn't respond. He has now left me another email begging me to email him... What the heck is going on? New members can't PM? Why would somebody want me to email them directly? Is this legit or is someone trying to scam me somehow? 

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #483 of 502
Quote:
I just got a strange PM from a new member. He said his "PM's are limited because he is new and would I please email him directly" and then he left his email. At any rate, my red flags went up so I didn't respond. He has now left me another email begging me to email him... What the heck is going on? New members can't PM? Why would somebody want me to email them directly? Is this legit or is someone trying to scam me somehow? 

New members only get 2 pms a day. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #484 of 502
Quote:

New members only get 2 pms a day. 

So why not just PM the question?  He wasted two of his PM's asking me to email him directly... By now I probably could have answered whatever questions he had... I just don't feel comfortable giving someone my personal email address that I don't know. For all I know it's just a SPAMMER. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #485 of 502
Quote:
So why not just PM the question?  He wasted two of his PM's asking me to email him directly... By now I probably could have answered whatever questions he had... I just don't feel comfortable giving someone my personal email address that I don't know. For all I know it's just a SPAMMER. 

Not necessarily a spammer, but sometimes if it's something too good to be missed in the F/S section or help wanted they want from something insightful you posted to email them back due to the PM limitations here. I get it all the time so it's natural.

On the other hand, I'm starting to get annoyed with certain new posters that have registered within the last year or so posting 2 word non sense/ off topic post to get there post count up. Another thing to add I'm started to get annoyed of forum cry-babies who can't take a re-butted joke from there sarcasm resulting in me being banned from viewing a certain thread. Massive sigh I feel like Kim Jong ill resides on these boards.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #486 of 502
If its regarding a sale, that's a tactic people who have been banned will use (a banned member just tried that with me before Amos alerted me it was a previously banned member.)  Of course intentions are not always nefarious, but I'd still be careful.

Its also helpful to have a spam email to communicate from with people you're not sure about.  

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #487 of 502
Quote:
I really don't see what's wrong with people making threads asking for recommendations.

Having one thread for that becomes too much of a clustered mess IMO. Much harder to search through and follow, not to mention there's going to be a larger amount of people that will be looking at thread titles than there are that look at each post in the recommendations thread.

I agree that I don't think that these threads with titles like "Ask all questions about X here, don't start new thread" are very useful.

If threads like that start to exist, then wouldn't it be better to make a sub-forum for that topic?

An obvious one that occurs to me is that maybe there should be a sub-forum for vinyl record players.

I don't know if it is possible to make sub-forums within the current forums, but maybe that would be the way to deal with this.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #489 of 502
I agree that I don't think that these threads with titles like "Ask all questions about X here, don't start new thread" are very useful.

If threads like that start to exist, then wouldn't it be better to make a sub-forum for that topic?

An obvious one that occurs to me is that maybe there should be a sub-forum for vinyl record players.

I don't know if it is possible to make sub-forums within the current forums, but maybe that would be the way to deal with this.

The problem with a sub-forum is that only people looking for answers would come to the forum. The people WITH the answers wouldn't necessarily go there...and then pretty soon everyone's signs up with girl names with sexy girl avatars to try to GET answers and then before you know it, we're all cross-dressers with a 4chan habit.

It's a slippery slope, people.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #490 of 502
Quote:
The problem with a sub-forum is that only people looking for answers would come to the forum. The people WITH the answers wouldn't necessarily go there...and then pretty soon everyone's signs up with girl names with sexy girl avatars to try to GET answers and then before you know it, we're all cross-dressers with a 4chan habit.

It's a slippery slope, people.

Agreed. A newbies only forum would become a Ghost Town in no time.  Plus they'd be getting all their info from the same three self proclaimed Gurus who would hang out in there. 
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #491 of 502

sounds like someone fishing for an email. A legit questions would be asked in the pm... Just because they can only SEND 2pms does not or mean they can only receive 2...

And, at the risk of sounding like a creeper, maybe some of it has to do with your profile pic... Just sayin'

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #492 of 502
Quote:
sounds like someone fishing for an email. A legit questions would be asked in the pm... Just because they can only SEND 2pms does not or mean they can only receive 2...

And, at the risk of sounding like a creeper, maybe some of it has to do with your profile pic... Just sayin'

I wish I was that cute. That's one of my kids who took that picture wearing my HE500s. The caption said "These are MINE now! MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!". 
biggrin.gif

ETA: Oh my God... It just dawned on me what you were saying... Do you think some dude thinks I'm a ten year old girl and he's trying to chat me up? EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! 
confused_face_2.gif
  I'm definitely changing it... 
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #493 of 502
Quote:

Kim Jong-il is dead now. However Kim Jong-un might be a forum participant. I've yet to see any pics of his wearing headphones however :)

I see what you did there lol.

Quote:
I wish I was that cute. That's one of my kids who took that picture wearing my HE500s. The caption said "These are MINE now! MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!". 
biggrin.gif

ETA: Oh my God... It just dawned on me what you were saying... Do you think some dude thinks I'm a ten year old girl and he's trying to chat me up? EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! 
confused_face_2.gif
  I'm definitely changing it... 
tongue.gif

Take caution with anything on the internet. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #494 of 502
I doubt that Head-Fi is the first place creepers would go to talk to kids, or that most people think anything of the sort when they see that avatar. Most are probably thinking "lucky brat got HE-400's!!!!"

But I guess you never know on the internet.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #495 of 502
Quote:
I doubt that Head-Fi is the first place creepers would go to talk to kids, or that most people think anything of the sort when they see that avatar. Most are probably thinking "lucky brat got HE-400's!!!!"

But I guess you never know on the internet.

There was a thread while ago think it was by one the guys from the My Pony thread or something, where some new user registered and started stalking the user via PM's he showed a screenshot of it. Come to think of it think it was jamesmcprogger that posted the pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back