My #1 gripe with head-fi forum members
Mar 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #421 of 502
Quote:
My main gripe that I've seen is the anti-flipping policy. If someone came across a good deal and wants to resell the headphones, I'd be willing to meet the seller in the middle between the normal street price and the deal price. Otherwise they'll just go to eBay and most likely be bid over the street price. I guess every forum has its quirks....

That's so obviously against the spirit of this place (even as it has evolved substantially) that I find it hard to believe you enjoy it here.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #422 of 502
This is a privately owned forum used to make money by getting you to buy stuff from sponsoring vendors. What exactly do you expect?

This!

But it's also more than that. It's got cliques like high school and currents of shifting consensus. But it's also got unbridled enthusiasm and a welcome group who will at least to some extent understand your excitement at the sound of a new headphone (or amp or DAC) that reveals something new in music you treasure and that turns you on to new genres that you couldn't understand before.

So yeah - industry insiders and advertisers do post here and so opinions that denigrate the entire product type are less tolerated. Then again, we've got Val Kolton and Michael Goodman and Dan from Mrspeakers interfacing with the community at large in a way that shapes product design - and that's pretty thrilling. That certainly wouldn't happen in a 'wild west' forum where people could run wild.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #423 of 502
Quote:

That's so obviously against the spirit of this place (even as it has evolved substantially) that I find it hard to believe you enjoy it here.

No, actually that's just common sense. Honestly, I don't blame the sellers who sell elsewhere. Why should they assume all the risk for a sale and put in the time and effort to complete it just to have greedy buyers tell them they have to bring the price down? It makes sense for them to sell a little cheaper here than they would elsewhere because they can sell to a more knowledgeable crowd and avoid fees, but mandating that they can't make a profit just doesn't make sense. I'm glad that the rule stops flippers who constantly turn over products in the sales forums at the expense of others, but applying that policy to sales on other sites not everyone may have had access to hurts both the buyers and the sellers.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #424 of 502
Check my sig...

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #427 of 502
Quote:
My main gripe that I've seen is the anti-flipping policy. If someone came across a good deal and wants to resell the headphones, I'd be willing to meet the seller in the middle between the normal street price and the deal price. Otherwise they'll just go to eBay and most likely be bid over the street price. I guess every forum has its quirks....

If a seller wishes to take advantage of a low purchase they made to make a buck, take it to ebay. 

Quote:
I didn't know we have such rule but if we do, kudos to Head-Fi admins for enforcing it.
This is not a place for taking advantage of true enthusiasts moving their gear around. I definitely wouldn't want to see someone selling the stuff he bought from me for a profit a few days later.

Agreed. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #428 of 502
Quote:
Sig is very relevant to this thread.

Lol I forgot what this thread was originally about...

Quote:

If a seller wishes to take advantage of a low purchase they made to make a buck, take it to ebay. 

Agreed. 

If you've read what I've written, you'd see that I'm against buying on the sales forum just to resell at a higher price. But when people find deals elsewhere, and want to sell, they will do exactly that, go to eBay. And that weakens the sales forums, and isn't good for anyone.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #429 of 502
Quote:
And where would those threads be found?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/493152/low-jitter-usb-dan-lavry-michael-goodman-adaptive-asynchronous

Quote:
So yeah - industry insiders and advertisers do post here and so opinions that denigrate the entire product type are less tolerated. Then again, we've got Val Kolton and Michael Goodman and Dan from Mrspeakers interfacing with the community at large in a way that shapes product design - and that's pretty thrilling. That certainly wouldn't happen in a 'wild west' forum where people could run wild.

No, that's not how it works. Have you read the HD-800 or HD-700 threads at all? It's easy to claim nonsense that posts criticising sponsors or their products are censored or discouraged, but very easy to prove that it is blatantly untrue.  I agree though that having company owners and engineers directly interacting with us is brilliant. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #430 of 502
Yeah, I've been visiting this forum less and less.  Maybe it's the over recommendation of certain headphones, or the repetitive threads from new members.
I get tired of hearing the same headphone all the time, even if it's a good one.  I'm not looking for the best headphone because there is none.  I'm just trying to keep myself busy, keep life interesting, because no music = no life.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #431 of 502
I read your post. You stated you would be ok with selling/buying here for some amount above purchase-- 'meeting in the middle'-- which no matter how you put it about trying to spare buyers of overpaying at ebay, still touts selling over purchase price to make a buck.

A couple years ago TF10's were going for less than $100 on Logitech, many were bought up with the sole purpose of being flipped here. Very uncool, and the mods were adamant that selling for any amount over what a buyer paid was not condoned. It got ugly, people were banned. Sure seems to make a point to me. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #432 of 502
http://www.head-fi.org/t/493152/low-jitter-usb-dan-lavry-michael-goodman-adaptive-asynchronous

No, that's not how it works. Have you read the HD-800 or HD-700 threads at all? It's easy to claim nonsense that posts criticising sponsors or their products are censored or discouraged, but very easy to prove that it is blatantly untrue.  I agree though that having company owners and engineers directly interacting with us is brilliant. 

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not talking about posts that denigrate particular products - I'm talking about posts that too heartily denigrate product types such as cables and power conditioners. Also, that doesn't bother me, I was conceding it as part of a point to the person to whom I was responding. I was saying 'Yeah, you can't just say 'all cable upgrades are worthless crap and anyone who buys them is an idiot', however...(rest of my post)"

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #433 of 502
Also, I say that insisting that you can't recommend a product simply because you haven't heard it is kind of silly. What people are really saying when they recommend a product they haven't heard is "People with ears I trust seem to indicate that this would suit you according to your descriptions." I tend to recommend products that would be high on my list given the budget and a lack of similar products. I'm not stupid enough to describe the sound if I've never heard it. For instance, I'll point people toward Mad Dogs for $300 closed headphones even though I haven't heard them by saying that I'm intrigued and impressed by the fact that they're compared to HifiMan and Audez'e yet cost much less. Sure, I haven't heard it, but based on what I DO know about it, that's where I'd spend $300 right now if I had no other equipment. I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with that as long as you aren't pretending that you have heard the headphones (or amp or DAC).

I don't do that with cables because upgraded headphones are crap and anyone who believes they make a big difference is an idiot. (Yes, that was a joke).

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #434 of 502
Quote:
Also, I say that insisting that you can't recommend a product simply because you haven't heard it is kind of silly. What people are really saying when they recommend a product they haven't heard is "People with ears I trust seem to indicate that this would suit you according to your descriptions." I tend to recommend products that would be high on my list given the budget and a lack of similar products. I'm not stupid enough to describe the sound if I've never heard it. For instance, I'll point people toward Mad Dogs for $300 closed headphones even though I haven't heard them by saying that I'm intrigued and impressed by the fact that they're compared to HifiMan and Audez'e yet cost much less. Sure, I haven't heard it, but based on what I DO know about it, that's where I'd spend $300 right now if I had no other equipment. I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with that as long as you aren't pretending that you have heard the headphones (or amp or DAC).

I don't do that with cables because upgraded headphones are crap and anyone who believes they make a big difference is an idiot. (Yes, that was a joke).

And THAT is even bigger problem than flipping for profit. No gear, no opinion, period, doesn't matter what you've read or heard, even from people you trust, everything in this hobby is highly opinionated and repeating someone's opinion w/o having your own does much more harm to it than anything else.
Stop trying to be helpful at *everything*!

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #435 of 502
And THAT is even bigger problem than flipping for profit. No gear, no opinion, period, doesn't matter what you've read or heard, even from people you trust, everything in this hobby is highly opinionated and repeating someone's opinion w/o having your own does much more harm to it than anything else.
Stop trying to be helpful at *everything*!

That strikes me as idiotic and narrow-minded. I've never been to Spain, but if I hear someone saying that they are considering going there and I've read a trusted review of a good restaurant, play, or museum - I'll make them aware of it and maybe even recommend it with the citation of the article. Since neither of us have been to Spain, making someone aware of a trusted source's opinion can be helpful.

Since even a firsthand listener will not have my ears or brain, his or her opinion could be LESS helpful than a secondhand opinion from someone I trust who is relaying info from someone HE trusts. We've established an affinity for similar qualities, and that's why it may be a better source than a firsthand one.

But what really makes me smile is that there's no way for you to enforce your desire on the greater community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back