Mutec USB Interfaces: MC-1.2 & MC-3+ Smart Clock USB
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #31 of 44
Ah! Needs fo be a thick cable for that long. Regular Computer cable from Amazon @ 5m or even 3m crackles for me.

Back to my cup of tea.

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #32 of 44
I've just found this thread. I bought my MC-3+ USB around two years ago and it has never failed to give great service.

I use it being fed from a Sonore ultraRendu via a Mad Scientist Black Magic USB cable, taking its output to my Gustard X26 Pro DAC via a Canare DA-206 AES cable. It has an external AfterDark Giesemann King 10MHz reference clock, fed via a Belden 4694R cable. The Gustard, too, has another external clock, this one an AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Triple Crown.

The Mutec was modified by Coherent Systems to delete the internal SMPS and is now fed by an external 5V supercap LPSU. It was also internally enhanced with a selection of very high quality replacement caps. Coherent seem to be the only supplier able to modify the MC-3+ USB with Mutec's blessing.

The sum effect of precision reclocking and using two master clocks is extreme detail in a very dark soundstage, with the acoustic of the venue, note decay and space coming through very clearly. Timing is metronomic in precision and attack. The sound is very non-digital and non-fatiguing, just liquid detail from Qobuz hi-res streams.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #33 of 44
I've just found this thread. I bought my MC-3+ USB around two years ago and it has never failed to give great service.

I use it being fed from a Sonore ultraRendu via a Mad Scientist Black Magic USB cable, taking its output to my Gustard X26 Pro DAC via a Canare DA-206 AES cable. It has an external AfterDark Giesemann King 10MHz reference clock, fed via a Belden 4694R cable. The Gustard, too, has another external clock, this one an AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Triple Crown.

The Mutec was modified by Coherent Systems to delete the internal SMPS and is now fed by an external 5V supercap LPSU. It was also internally enhanced with a selection of very high quality replacement caps. Coherent seem to be the only supplier able to modify the MC-3+ USB with Mutec's blessing.

The sum effect of precision reclocking and using two master clocks is extreme detail in a very dark soundstage, with the acoustic of the venue, note decay and space coming through very clearly. Timing is metronomic in precision and attack. The sound is very non-digital and non-fatiguing, just liquid detail from Qobuz hi-res streams.
I didn't buy mind for the sound quality rather for the connectivity. I expected reclocking was just more snake oil. But I was wrong. It does bring clarity and air. I don't have an external clock...yet :D

So yeah this device is totally recommended. Not only that, but Chris at Mutec really cares about each customer. Every time he responds to an email he says "Thank you for buying our products!" Great company, great people, great devices. I also have an MC-1.1+ and I'll likely be buying more of their gear in the future.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #34 of 44
Adding a Mutec 10m clock will blow you mind..

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #35 of 44
Adding a Mutec 10m clock will blow you mind..

The Mutec is very pricy. What I might do is another of my 'trickle downs' by buying the top AfterDark clock for the Gustard, moving the Emperor Triple Crown down to the Mutec and using the King on the EtherREGEN.

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #36 of 44
The Mutec is very pricy. What I might do is another of my 'trickle downs' by buying the top AfterDark clock for the Gustard, moving the Emperor Triple Crown down to the Mutec and using the King on the EtherREGEN.
The problem with most of the Chinese clocks that are affordable (haha) is that they have only 50 ohm output and the Mutec uses the standard pro 75 ohm input.

I am gonna eventually probably spring for the Mutec clock despite the high price. At least I know there is good service to be had if needed.

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #37 of 44
Jan 31, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #38 of 44
I understand, but it doesn't really apply to sinewave clocks, especially over short distances.

See John Swenson's paper on the subject:
Considerations regarding usage of external reference clocks
Well, Mutec seems to prefer square wave clocks, the REF10 page https://www.mutec-net.com/product_ref_10.php says:

"Generates a very high slew-rate square wave signal for superior lock precision compared to the sine wave signals used by competing brands"

Kingwa of Audio-gd also seems to recommend square wave clocks with his gear.

I agree the REF10 is expensive but once you price it against other clocks it still seems like a reasonable value proposition.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #39 of 44
Hi.
Can the MC3+ USB be used as a 10Mhz master clock reference? If that is possible then would it possible be used as 10Mhz reference generator and at the same time as a USB interface?
Thanks

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #40 of 44
Hi.
Can the MC3+ USB be used as a 10Mhz master clock reference? If that is possible then would it possible be used as 10Mhz reference generator and at the same time as a USB interface?
Thanks
No, it has WCLK out and some programmable clocks that seem to be based on multiples of input clocks, but cannot output 10 MHz.

The setup suggested by Mutec seems to be to buy a REF10 and run it into the MC-3+ USB.

May 5, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #42 of 44
The price of the MC-3+ USB increased 200 euros :frowning2:

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #44 of 44
I read somewhere that Mutec is going to release a new version of its mc3+ USB reclocker. is this true? Does anyone know something?

I think it's unlikely and also unnecessary. They did recently release an economy clock which looks quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back