Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Oct 27, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #796 of 887
Thanks for the information.

Did you have experience using this power pack? Its price is about the same as the V-PSU specifically designed for V-dac. Not sure if it would be better just get the V-PSU instead.

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #797 of 887
Not sure where you are located, but the price of the Russ Andrews V-DAC specific PSU is about $125 (U.S.). Go to the web site and click on Old Glory as your location to see the price difference.

I've been considering the following power options for my V-equipment (I also have a V-LPS):
Two Little Pinkies ($400 for two) - lots of info on the Little Pinkie web site
Two Russ Andrews PSUs ($250 for two) - can't find a single review
V-PSU ($250) - a review (used to be two) on Amazon
Two Pyramid 12V power supplies from Amazon ($40) - good reviews on Amazon; even a few V-equipment specific

My (very limited) understanding is that the V-PSU uses a different type of circuitry from the Pinkie/Russ Andrews models.

I would love to someone to explain how they are different and why the differences might matter.

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #798 of 887
I do not have any experience of any of them. The reviews tend to suggest an improvement, but with no blind testing on any of them, it is hard to know if any are really worthwhile. I would be inclined to go with the cheapest, or the MF one, as you can invalidate the warranty by using a different one. Though how they would know you have used a different one, I do not know.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #799 of 887
MF need to air on the side of caution because it is quite possible to connect a wrong PSU if you lack basic electrical knowledge about DC power supplies. Car manufacturers do the same when they say "don't put any additive in your fuel tank". You never know what some might do - like put chili powder in to hot it up.
Having said all that, I read somewhere that the Walmart device is unregulated and sometimes delivers way over 12V. Not good for you V-DAC.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #800 of 887
MF is unusual in using AC to AC (I am sure it is that way round) and so it would be easy to miss that. Maplins also do a PSU which is supposed to work very well. I have kept using the original PSUs on my two X-CANS, but they do get very hot. I have been careful to keep them tucked away but ventilated and check them to see if they are still OK. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #802 of 887
Thanks I could not remeber and it would take some digging to get at my MF transformers.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #803 of 887
There is a Little Pinkie for X-CAN in the for sale forum. I got all excited until I figured out it isn't compatible with my equipment. Oh well...

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #804 of 887
Can anyone share their experience of using power supplies other than the stock PSU for V-Dac? In theory, a regulated PSU should perform better (runs cooler and provide steadier power) but how does that impact on the sound quality of the V-dac and is it worth for the upgrade. We are looking at PSUs for at least half the price of V-Dac.

Does any PSU with 12VDC, >=0.5amp output fit for V-dac?

Thanks

Mike

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #805 of 887

Quote:
Can anyone share their experience of using power supplies other than the stock PSU for V-Dac? In theory, a regulated PSU should perform better (runs cooler and provide steadier power) but how does that impact on the sound quality of the V-dac and is it worth for the upgrade. We are looking at PSUs for at least half the price of V-Dac.

Does any PSU with 12VDC, >=0.5amp output fit for V-dac?

Thanks

Mike

You don't necessarily need to use an extremely expensive power supply. A lot of users here, as well as I, have been using this pyramid power supply 12V/3A, and it costs only around $17.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS3KX-3-Amp-12-Volt-Supply/dp/B0002JTD2K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1288641191&sr=8-9

As for improvements, I never bothered using the original wall wart, so I can't comment, but others have noticed and posted some improvements.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #806 of 887
I just hooked up the above-mentioned Pyramid supply to my V-DAC, after sacrificing the cable from the walwart and checking polarity with a multimeter before connecting.

I would say the bass is a hair tighter, but the difference is quite subtle and obviously only noticeable on recordings that I know note for note. I actually listened to one recording over and over during the week (with the walwart) in preparation for the new PSU. The perceived difference could be due to my imagination, but I've been switching between the Pyramid/walwart (I have one for my V-LPS) and it seems to be there. What it worth $17? Probably... even if only for the fact that it has erased any further interest in purchasing the V-PSU, Little Pinkie or Russ Andrews PSUs.

I'll try the Pyramid with my V-LPS later today.

Edit: The the same subtle difference in bass with the V-DAC is apparent for the V-LPS, again for recordings that I know very well. Nothing earth-shattering...

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #807 of 887
I did the same and I found that bass was a hair better (in tightness and apparent volume) and a slightly lower (but very noticeable) noise floor. This is true in both my V-DAC and V-LPS. I'm using the Pyramid PS on the V-DAC and a Tripplite PR-3 on the V-LPS. And no, there are no noticeable differences between these two units. Long and short of it, both sound better with the new power supplies over wall warts, and it's noticeable, if not earth-shattering.

I wish I could hear the V-PSU, because I'd hate to buy one only to find that I've already gotten the most that I will get out of the V-products with the cheap power supplies...
DT

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #808 of 887

The cost of the V-PSU is too high IMO. Based upon the lack of consumer reviews, there doesn't appear to be much interest in this product. In addition, it's not listed on the MF web site. Perhaps it will be discontinued and end up in the bargain bin.

Quote:
I wish I could hear the V-PSU, because I'd hate to buy one only to find that I've already gotten the most that I will get out of the V-products with the cheap power supplies... DT

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #809 of 887
Whoa...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS3KX-3-Amp-12-Volt-Supply/dp/B0002JTD2K/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1289332284&sr=1-3

The price on Amazon doubled since I bought mine.
frown.gif

Could be a different vendor. Oh well...

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #810 of 887
My V-DAC arrived yesterday and I've hooked it up via coaxial to my media server. Flac files sound great except that the highs & mids are a bit thin and laid back. I hope these will improve after it ran in for some 40-50 hours as others suggested. However, my server PC runs on Win 7 64bits can not detach the dac. Does anyone has experience connecting v-dac with Win 7 64?

Thanks

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back