Music City Meet, Volume 5 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2016 (April 9, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #166 of 348
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I have been drinking a dark coconut rum, from a local distillery. I prefer Samsung Televisions.
Have a great night Dick.
Cheers me friend
Andrew Reddog Jones.

Hey Andrew, when we meet you at the meet, can you teach us how to speak real pirate?  That along with some dark rum would be a hoot.

Cheers me friend!

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #167 of 348
  This hotel is very close, but I have no experience with them...

https://bookings.mapquest.com/hotels/hotel/?hotel_id=700072774&refclickid=bubble_book&refid=5101

If you want to stay downtown, the Hilton is great but pricey.  Across the street from the Country Music HOF.

A co-worker of mine was just there last week.  She said they have a special exhibit for Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.  I plan to hit the museum and might stay over Saturday night so I could accomplish that visit on Sunday.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #168 of 348

A co-worker of mine was just there last week.  She said they have a special exhibit for Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.  I plan to hit the museum and might stay over Saturday night so I could accomplish that visit on Sunday.
bigsmile_face.gif

For those who haven't been to the Country Music HOF, it is a really great experience.  Highly recommended!

The venue was expanded 2-years ago and is now roughly 180,000 sqft.  Access is very easy.  We take all our family who come to Nashville for the first time.

Last time I was there, they had a special exhibit on the Bakersfield sound - featuring Merle Haggard, Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam.  It was cool.  Merle had 40 #1 hit songs (never knew that) and I bought the CD that day.

Might be worth an extra night to check it out on Friday or Sunday :)

The Dylan/Cash exhibit will still be featured.  Sounds very interesting...

http://countrymusichalloffame.org/exhibits/exhibitdetail/dylan-cash-and-the-nashville-cats-a-new-music-city#.VwAiDRPytmA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Music_Hall_of_Fame_and_Museum

FYI,
Dick

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #169 of 348

For those who haven't been to the Country Music HOF, it is a really great experience.  Highly recommended!

The venue was expanded 2-years ago and is now roughly 180,000 sqft.  Access is very easy.  We take all our family who come to Nashville for the first time.

Last time I was there, they had a special exhibit on the Bakersfield sound - featuring Merle Haggard, Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam.  It was cool.  Merle had 40 #1 hit songs (never knew that) and I bought the CD that day.

http://countrymusichalloffame.org/exhibits/exhibitdetail/dylan-cash-and-the-nashville-cats-a-new-music-city#.VwAiDRPytmA

FYI,
Dick

Thanks for all of the great additional information.  I think I'll hit it on Sunday before I head out since they're open 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.  With my 650+ mile drive, I don't think I'll make it on Friday to see the HOF or the Friday evening get together.  Might be a bit burned out.  Then again, I could make some good time - but can't afford any speeding tickets. 
eek.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #171 of 348

Thanks for all of the great additional information.  I think I'll hit it on Sunday before I head out since they're open 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.  With my 650+ mile drive, I don't think I'll make it on Friday to see the HOF or the Friday evening get together.  Might be a bit burned out.  Then again, I could make some good time - but can't afford any speeding tickets. 
eek.gif

Yea man, I just Googled that drive.  Bet it's pretty going past the mountains.  A long way to drive for a HP meet - be safe!!

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #172 of 348
Also, isn't Metro Center Drive now Rosa L. Parks Blvd? I thought this changed long ago. It might be helpful information for you out of towners trying to find the venue.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #173 of 348
Also, isn't Metro Center Drive now Rosa L. Parks Blvd? I thought this changed long ago. It might be helpful information for you out of towners trying to find the venue.

Nashville.gov website list of neighborhood community centers list the address as Metro Center Drive.  I guess I should see if my nav system can find it.

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #174 of 348

The whole Metro Center complex branches off of Rosa L. Parks (a.k.a.) 8th avenue.

I believe the address is correct.

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #175 of 348
Ahhh...It IS 2301 Rosa L Parks Blvd. There is no more Metro Center Drive or Blvd.

The name of the building is also referred to as the Looby Center Theater. I hope this helps.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #176 of 348
  Ahhh...It IS 2301 Rosa L Parks Blvd. There is no more Metro Center Drive or Blvd.

The name of the building is also referred to as the Looby Center Theater. I hope this helps.

Looks like the community center and theater are two different things...?

The theater is at the address listed by Burnley, and the community center is down the road a little at [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]2301 U.S. 41 Alt Scn.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]*shrug*[/color]

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #177 of 348
  What's the WiFi availability at the venue.  I need WiFi for my streamer to operate.

Completely reasonable question, and although I brainfarted away my opportunity to actually test the connection while I was there, they do apparently have wifi available. (The same building also houses a public library that supplies it, I believe). If what you need is just a router and not a connection, I plan on having my portable router there anyway, and you're welcome to piggyback off it as well if there's a problem with the connection in the venue. 

I'm really looking forward to it.  Last year wasn't the best time.  However, now with the house sold, the divorce finalized, there's a bit more freedom and being a true geek at heart, I need to get back to a great headphone event and this seems like the best one - within reach for me.  Well, within 8 hours.

I plan on getting into Nashville on Friday evening.  Not sure if there are others who might be doing the same.  Looks like a lot of events around the area on Friday evening - live music, good dining, etc.  I know I'll need to have some good BBQ.  I refuse to stop at the franchises like Dickey's for a pulled pork sammich.

The HE-500 headphones that I purchased this past week arrived yesterday.  I can't believe I actually sold the previous pair or two that I had owned before.  I really like the sound.  Not able to make a good comparison to the HE-400s yet because I'm waiting on the Focus pads for that pair so I can then have a better ground for comparison.  However, the HE-500 is so sweet with the mids and the bass with the perfect level of upper frequencies, I'll be quite eager to compare it to the LCD-2 (arriving Wednesday) as well as the HE-560 by Hifiman during the upcoming meet.  It will be interesting to see which one I prefer the most.  But, I don't have to make a final decision as I'm able to hold onto and use 4 pair of headphones (in rotation) at this point in time.

Just realized I hadn't updated the original post to include our traditional pre-meet beers and socializin' at Cool Springs Brewery the night before at 5:30pm. With all the driving you're doing, I don't know if you'll be able to make it, but if so we'd love to have you! We usually hang around for a while shooting the breeze and having a few cold ones after we eat, so even if you get into town a little later, hit us up-- we might still be there. In any event, very glad you'll be able to make it, man!!

Other than the "Music City Meet" and the date, I love the first one, I say move that below the city scape (that is Nashville? yes?) and it would look pretty sweet.

My wife has all this embroidery and vinyl cutting stuff, she took a quick look and instantly shot down any of the ideas of her making these. :frowning2:

I hope on the next meet I'll be able to come up Friday, hang out before and after the meet and come home Sunday. I figured by now my jerk brother would be back from Afghanistan and I could just put up a cot in his place. Jerk. Making money as a contractor. Jerk. (He is making TONS of money, and he IS a jerk, but I do love him.)

I got some of my Ether C cables completed this weekend before I ran out of parts. Hopefully my orders from Dan and Redco will be arrive in time for me to be ready for the meet.

Getting excited!

That was actually the first one I made, and after meeting up with a buddy and his family for dinner last night, he showed me some basics of using Photoshop, so I might be able to really do some much cooler stuff before too long anyway. Prolly not before the meet itself though :p Interesting idea on the embroidery, you have me thinking about patches and stuff now... Hmmm....

Friday evening we are all meeting in Cool Springs (20 minutes south of downtown).  I believe the time/location are in the first post?  It's the Cool Springs Brewery, though I don't remember the time off-hand.  

But, if you get a chance to try some bbq:

Either hit up Peg Leg Porker (near downtown) or Edley's (two locations, I believe).

Both are worth your time.

The dry ribs at Peg Leg are my favorite bbq-related item in the city.  To be fair, I haven't tried the ribs at Edley's to compare.

Thanks as always to Eric for being filling in the gaps in my communication abilities. Yep, Cool Springs Brewery, and I've finally updated the first post with that info. Anybody planning on coming by, try to drop me a PM or something so I can have a rough idea on the number of people who will be there. And thanks to Kilkil for making the reservation!

As for food: Nashville has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to good BBQ in my opinion. The menu at Peg Leg Porker is significantly smaller than Edley's, but their food might be even better. I really enjoy the brisket at Edley's (brisket tacos... nomnnomnom), and they both have a decent beer selection as well. There are even a few other places that people don't talk about that also have great food-- there's a BBQ place off Charlotte that I stopped in randomly one afternoon (cannot remember the name for the life of me) that had some really delicious BBQ as well, and I've stopped back by there a couple other times when I've been on that side of town. And when you look beyond BBQ, there are a million great places (The Row has an amazing potroast, Americana has a good everything, Bombay Palace is great Indian food, The Mad Platter is an oft-forgotten but completely amazing place for upscale fare, there are about 100 great brunch places, etc). I love this place. :)

I officially made the reservation at 5:30, we have the room all night.  So feel free to stop by when you can.

Bless you, my friend. Original post updated accordingly. Looking forward to it!

I'm gonna make it!! Baby was born last Tuesday, we're settling in.

I only have clearance from morning until lunchtime, but hopefully that is enough time to check out some things and let others check out any of my stuff. I will say it was nice to actually hear some of these setups instead of reading about them. Gives you a good perspective. I was already thinking about some of these things, but it certainly kicked me in gear and put some of my stuff to shame.

However I'm not gonna have time to have the reel-to-reel going, but something to look forward to in the fall. With the baby, there was just not enough time. If I can't get this fixed up, I will get one that does work or get it serviced by professionals. This one I have was a freebie, so no loss. And I really don't know what I am doing when I do this stuff. And don't be too envious - a broke a lot of gear as a kid and it took me two times to get through my Studio Maintenance class. It'f fun to work on things sometimes. A good multi-meter helps....and a good service manual.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That's great, man!! As the guy who tends to be the fun uncle to all my friends' and family's kids, I have an appreciation both for how great kids are and how trying it must be to have your own. Kudos, brother!!

No worries on the reel-to-reel thing-- gives us something to chat about and look forward to in the fall!

Thanks guys! I could not be more proud. Here is a pic of my 5-year old hanging with her new brother:

Me and @skyline315 have been trading baby war stories.

And yes @rmoody, that is nice you got a Fluke for free - that is the best kind of Fluke. But yes, I have a Fluke 77. My buddy had a Fluke 88 True RMS that I wanted that also had a frequency counter, but those are way more pricey. Mine does mostly what I need and these things are pretty bullet proof.

Just adorable, man. Again, congratulations!! And am I seeing a little Pantone 151 orange on one of those blankets? :wink:

Congratulations!  As long as we are celebrating life's milestones today was my last day at work.  Tomorrow starts the rest of my life.  I AM RETIRED!
darthsmile.gif

Dude, that is awesome! Wanna trade?? :p

Seriously, you'll now have the time to truly enjoy this hobby that a lot of us can only aspire to at this point. I'll live vicariously through your exploits from this point, just so you know. :)

The Meze, MAD, 421, Rega, Blade, and C3 will all be for sale!

Duly updated, sir! Assuming you haven't already sold 'em all and have another table fulla stuff by the meet, of course. :p

I have subscribed to this thread because I really would like to go to this meet. However I am in the Liquid Lau tour and will be demoing the unit, while the meet is happening. Perhaps I can be at the fall meet and if I am lucky, I can see the red leaves of Autumn.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey man, we'd love to have you!! I remember enjoying some of your posts about walking around the grocery store with your Ethers on, which just seemed so awesomely Head-Fi when I read it. You should definitely add your impressions on the Liquid Gold once you have it, as I'm guessing it's going to be a real hit among the rest of us :wink:

Come anyway. I will have the Lau demo there and you will be able to compare it to a lot of other great equipment such as my Woo WA5.  I t is a great meet!

I like where your head's at, man :wink:

If you need to unload that wa5, let's talk at the meet. 
wink.gif

Classic Matt. I love it!

Looks like I miscalculated when the meet was so I'm almost positive the Yggy won't be here in time so I probably will just bring myself as no reason to bring a setup without a dac. I'll just have my Ether-C's , QP1R and Echobox Finder X1's. If someone want's to run my Cavalli Liquid Carbon in there setup I can bring that also so let me know. 

Man, if you show up with nothing but a smile and a handshake, we'll be glad to have you. No worries whatsoever!

I was originally using the mjo2, but I didn't really like the synergy even with tube changes. Then I went to the NAD m51. The volume control of the NAD is brilliant. And the synergy between the NAD and the dual mono Questyles was VERY NICE. And then...I saw something shiny (yggy) and said to myself, "self, you must have it...my precious." 

Always heard good things about the M51, but it's nice to see someone whose opinions I respect weigh in on it as well. And as for your obviously rampant case of Gear Acquisition Disorder, you're going to get nothing but blatant enabling from this crowd, myself enthusiastically among them. Ha!

Dan had the EtherE feed by the Liquid Lightning and had the WA5 there also(feeding Ether's or C's) but no WEE at CanJam. I don't remember a WEE at the Woo room either. The WA8 Eclipse was one nice little amp/dac that had me in it's pull but I wanted a Yggy. It is one sweet amp/dac. Is there going to be one at the meet?

Yep, Mike has been kind enough to share his WA8 Eclipse with us, and I hope to have it within the next couple of days! Should be an interesting listen-- I tend to be a pretty adamant solid-state kinda guy, but even I have to admit Woo Audio gear sounds really, really good with good tubes. This should be a really fun listen!

Sony 65'' 4K UHD TV delivered today.  I love being retired.
atsmile.gif

Not jealous at all. *eye twitches*

Ok, my vintage multibit gear came in and I have verified that they are in good working order and are worthy of a listen. So please add for sources for me:

Magavox CDB-583
Denon DA-500

I'll have way more sources than headphones and amps, but it should be fun. And they are not kidding about these old Magnavox CD players and these TDA1541 chips. Dang!

Updated on the first post! I would actually really like to hear that Magnavox... My granddad was always my hero, and he was VP of Magnavox (and later Phillips) for many years. I still have my mom's old all-in-one hand-me-down turntable/cassette/FM unit that I listened to growing up in storage somewhere, and Magnavox gear will always have a nostalgic pull for me. Very cool, man. 

Count me in for my second Nashville meet!  Hopefully my Centrance HiFi-Skyn will be here in time for the meet since I bought the Audeze EL-8's at last years meetup to go with this amp.

Excellent!! And I will bring your Yulong amp back to you, at long last. I owe you a few beers at the very least, so if you wanna come join us before or after the event, I've got your drinks. 

I need a recommendation for a hotel near the venue.

I haven't stayed at any of the places around there, so let me know if the recommendations from the other guys doesn't work and I can swing out and drive by a couple in the area. Fortunately, the venue isn't far from the interstate, so anything close to I65 in the city would probably work fine. Lemme know if I need to reconnoiter a little bit. 

The Maxwell House is quite nice and close, but it might be pricy.

There is a Hampton Inn as well as a Microtel close to where I live (Highway 70S in west Nashville). It is only about 20 minutes from the venue down the interstate and probably cheaper and just as nice than other places in Nashville. I don't think there are many hotels real close to the venue except for the Maxwell House.

And yes, it is THE Maxwell House of the coffee fame, although the original hotel no longer remains due to a fire.

Fun Fact: my sister and I, when we were both very young, nearly drowned in the pool at Maxwell House. To this day, I blame my sister for it-- but then again, placing unreasonable blame at the feet of your sibling is kind of a big brother's responsibility, ain't it? :p

FYI,
Dick

You know, I've never been (as I'm pretty adamantly anti-country in my musical tastes). But if some of y'all want to get together one day and check it out, I'd actually probably be game. Especially given they seem to have a lot of info about country music prior to the rise of mass-produced commercial country that so irritates me... Plus, I'm always down to learn about stuff that I don't know enough about!

eek.gif

Totally understandable, Wayne. It's quite a commitment of your time to drive all this way, so we're just appreciative of you coming down to hang out with us!

I've got more new gear. Instead of trashing this thread with my materialistic weakness, I think I'll just let you blokes be surprised next weekend!

You know us better than that-- even the guys that don't get to enjoy as much gear as you or Matt or Jay do still thrill in seeing the revolving door of your audio conquests. Y'all are the Casanovas (Concanovas?) of audio gear, and we love ya for it. Ha!

Wow, I am really glad you said this. My navigation to Metro Center took me to the right place, but others' might not. I didn't even realize that wasn't the correct road name anymore, I just pulled it from their website. I have updated the original post with the corrected address, but for the record: 2301 Rosa L Parks Blvd, Nashville, TN 37228 is the correct address. If you get off I65, this will be the exit with the Lexus dealership on the right and the Honda dealership a bit further down on the left. 

Very good call-out, man, thank you!!

It's loaded into Google Maps as "Nashville Public Library Looby Branch." I originally thought the Looby Theater was somewhere else, but apparently you are correct on this as well. 

Looks like the community center and theater are two different things...?

The theater is at the address listed by Burnley, and the community center is down the road a little at [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]2301 U.S. 41 Alt Scn.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]*shrug*[/color]

The entrance to the building is actually from 10th Avenue N, so if one was coming from I65 on Rosa Parks Blvd, you would turn left onto 10th Avenue N and immediately turn right (you can't miss it). But after trying to convince myself otherwise by screwing around with Google Maps for 20 minutes, it's definitely the building at 2301 Rosa L Parks Blvd, Nashville, TN 37228. If it helps, here is a screen capture from Google Maps Streetview of exactly what you'd see if you looked right directly after turning onto 10th Ave N: 

That is the building we are using. Once you walk in the front door, you'll simply go to the right (the library is on your left) and you should see us immediately. Hope this clarifies things a bit!

Getting pretty close, guys... Really excited!! I'm taking a couple of days off around the meet to try to have the time to get everything situated, but I started in a new location last Friday, so I'll be running around like crazy between now and then. I'll try to get on each night until the meet in case anyone has any questions or anything comes up. Can't wait to see everybody and listen to all this greatness!! 

beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #178 of 348
I would really like to hear that Magnavox..,

All I can say is, bring some of your favorite CDs. This is not your granddad's CD player :wink: (actually it might be, since he was VP of Magnavox - that is pretty cool)

But seriously, it does have a great sound to it. Gotta love some Multibit done right.

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #179 of 348
Hey Guys, sorry that I've been MIA, a little health issue and traveling....

jaywillin asked Maryna, she says I most definitely must remove the K7XX from my for sale list, sorry man..Was just down in Mobile for a track meet, Jay, I am in love with Dauphin Island, time to move to Alabama.

Additions,

UpTone Audio Regen...handy little device!

Audio-Technical ATH-MSR7 Portable Headphones in to review for Guru..very early impressions are positive.

I look forward to seeing everybody in Nashville!!

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #180 of 348
Audio-Technical ATH-MSR7 Portable Headphones in to review for Guru..very early impressions are positive.

I look forward to seeing everybody in Nashville!!

I've been really wanting to hear the MSR7's! Excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back