Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #346 of 369
  So do people bring their DACs and Amps to these kind of things to demo headphones with, or how exactly does a meet up work in general? Also, I'm a little behind in this thread, as in I haven't read the last few pages. Is there a concrete date yet? As an aside: I'm enjoying my E10K so far. I haven't really done any direct comparisons with the headphone jack of my Macbook Air or my iPod Touch (my only other sources), and my ears aren't exactly the most discerning, but my M50x seem to sound pretty good with this little mid-fi rig I have going. 

a lot of folks, myself included, bring pretty much their whole set ups,  you can bring anything you like, or you don't have to bring anything, just yourself, 
so far, it looks like april 18th, with the site TBD. theogenes is kinda head nut in charge !
the main thing is joining in, we got a great group of guys, and the second one we had was twice as big as the first !

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #347 of 369
  So do people bring their DACs and Amps to these kind of things to demo headphones with, or how exactly does a meet up work in general? Also, I'm a little behind in this thread, as in I haven't read the last few pages. Is there a concrete date yet? As an aside: I'm enjoying my E10K so far. I haven't really done any direct comparisons with the headphone jack of my Macbook Air or my iPod Touch (my only other sources), and my ears aren't exactly the most discerning, but my M50x seem to sound pretty good with this little mid-fi rig I have going. 

That's what I'm told - if you check out the pics in top right (on desktop browser) you can see last year's. Everyone who wants to can set up a station and headphones get passed around with permission to try different combos.  I'm currently on the E10k and it's a significant improvement in clarity over analog output on my 2008 Mac Pro – I'm on the prowl for more power for my soon-to-be-completed modded T50rps though.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #348 of 369
  That's what I'm told - if you check out the pics in top right (on desktop browser) you can see last year's. Everyone who wants to can set up a station and headphones get passed around with permission to try different combos.  I'm currently on the E10k and it's a significant improvement in clarity over analog output on my 2008 Mac Pro – I'm on the prowl for more power for my soon-to-be-completed modded T50rps though.

you just might get some

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #350 of 369
  Vol 3 looks like a winner to me.

If I can buy a new/used amp prior to the meet I'll be bringing it, I need more power!

Any and all suggestions are helpful

I will bring the Senn HDVA600 that pairs well with the HD800.  Seems to be designed for higher-impedance HP's.  May also work with the LCD-3...

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #351 of 369
I wish I still had my 8' tall SoundLabs, imagine asking Mrs. Matt to "please sign here for your new Speakers Ma'am" :skull:

Surely you have something big, bulky, and marital-dischord-inducing laying around, right? This is Matt we're talking about here!!
evil_smiley.gif

Yep, pretty much. The first page of this thread has a bunch of pics so you can get a better visual for it, and it has links to the pics from the first meet. Basically, bring any audio gear (headphones, DACs, amps, sources, cables, power supplies, Shakti stones, etc) that you would either like to listen to at the meet or let others listen to. Probably no need to bring anything like speakers, as there's really no way to listen to them without interfering with someone else listening. And yep, April 18th is the date, we just need to get a #$% location locked up. Sigh.

a lot of folks, myself included, bring pretty much their whole set ups,  you can bring anything you like, or you don't have to bring anything, just yourself, 
so far, it looks like april 18th, with the site TBD. theogenes is kinda head nut in charge !
the main thing is joining in, we got a great group of guys, and the second one we had was twice as big as the first !

THIS. As great as all the gear is (and it really is pretty mind-blowing), you'll find yourself pulled into some great conversations with some really great guys. I found myself enjoying the conversations so much that I ended up missing listening to a few pieces I wanted to hear! Or, if you're an aficionado of SEC football, you can delve into the epic rounds of smack talk that end up inevitably happening... And which always end up with Tennessee being in all ways superior, because, you know, of course they are. (Everybody else shaddap!)

Man, those first few times when you try something legitimately good when all you've heard is the sea of mediocrity (and worse) that's available in the mass market... It's just stunning!! I'll never forget the first time I did some research and got a highly regarded Panasonic stereo amp (for $200, which I thought was exorbitant at the time... how I miss that scale of acceptability) and plugged some garbage combo-unit speakers I had lying around into them, and just being floored at how much thoroughly better the music was in every way. I had a set of AV123 X-Series speakers on the way shortly after that, and I haven't really slowed down since. For people who really enjoy music, there's something about being able to really hear it that is just beyond communicability sometimes.

And speaking of which, I got my T1s in today....

David Maxim Micic is melting my mind right now.........

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #352 of 369
^^^Well my Ex forced the sale of my SoundLabs, I dunno why :innocent:? Though, I do have some 5' towers that fit the bill...

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #353 of 369
I couldn't help but notice that everyone in the pictures from the last meet were "adults," and by that I just mean that they're most likely paying their own bills. How common is it for college-aged folks (such as myself) to show up at meets? 

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #355 of 369
As a testament to how good of a time meet #2 was, I'll tell my story.

I live just north of Louisville, KY. Which on a good drive, is about 2.5 hours from Nashville. And being that the route there is I-65, the drive is never great. About halfway through my drive down, I blew a tire, and spent about 4 hours finding a tire shop that had tires that fit my car. After I got that sorted out, I headed out on 2 new tires and two very old tires. The old ones were on the front, and my car is FWD. So the rest of the trip there was slow, as my back tires would grip the little grooves in the road and my front tires wouldn't. This means that my car wiggled (which was quite unnerving). I get there about 5 hours later than I intended, and the meet had already reached its peak. Even so, the 4 or 5 hours there made the trip (and the scary drive back) worth it.

Had a great time, will do again.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #356 of 369
@Wildcatsare1: I hear ya. I would love to have a line source speaker at some point (I used to fantasize about the old AV123 LS6 and LS9... Came really close to picking up a piano black LS6 one time too), and I can only imagine how much a female would disapprove (considering how much my disdain my ex had for my setup). But hey, there are billions of domiciles and dudes out there if they don't get it :wink:.

@slmckay73: Well, I was gonna use myself as an example of how there are young people there too... And then realized that I've been out of college for almost a decade now, and I got sad. But there were definitely some college-aged guys around, and at least one guy who might've been in high school. If it makes you feel any better, think of it this way: when I was in college, a nice set of headphones/speakers/anything really that didn't involve women or comatose-engendering levels of alcohol just didn't matter much to me, and I doubt that's changed much for a lot of guys. It's only after you've gotten out, gotten a decent job, and stop pitching in for kegs and late-night Popeye's runs constantly that you have the time and dough freed up to get some of the higher-end goodies. You'll get all the wonderful hedonism of college and you'll get to listen to kick-ass gear without having to drop substantial quantities of cash!

(And if you want to really see where everyone's priorities are, bring a carload full of smokin' volleyball players to the meet, and watch just how much headphone listening doesn't happen).

@MattTCG: I 'spose I'm one of the "oldsters" now too. Which is great... I've always wanted to yell at kids for being on my lawn, but it just seemed awkward when they were my age and it wasn't technically my yard. Plus, now I can use the term "whippersnappers" as a catchall derogation for anyone younger than me. Boom!!

@phillyd: Great story, man. I had almost forgotten about that! Hopefully, your trip this time will be less, uh, "eventful." Or at least, be eventful in some significantly more awesome way :wink:.

@Everybody: Welp, the things I had working for venues seem to be dropping out left and right. I think I'm gonna just build another list of potential places and hit Nashville this weekend to see if I can make something happen. I'm open to any ideas, if anybody wants to share! (@skyline315: I might take another look at the place you and I spoke about, as I really didn't do anything else on the insurance dealio, and that might be a slam-dunk if we can get all the paperwork and whatnots in order. Especially if we aren't required to pay the janitorial fees!)

And can I just say again... Man, I really, really like these Beyerdynamic T1s. Great open treble without being caustic or piercing, good bass punch and drive, awesome clarity, and goodness, that texture and tone... RUMAY, bless you!!!!!!!! :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #357 of 369
  We'll have several sources there, especially if your USB DAC works with Android. (I'm a big nerd and have several Android phones and tablets). What you don't know, however, is the portal to hell you just opened in this conversation...
frown.gif

Ok. I do think it works with android, and I will definitely bring the amp, cuz I really would like to hear it with a better dac, to see if it's worth spending decent money for one. Also I want to show it off, it's ridiculously good sounding at this point.

I couldn't help but notice that everyone in the pictures from the last meet were "adults," and by that I just mean that they're most likely paying their own bills. How common is it for college-aged folks (such as myself) to show up at meets? 

I'm in college, so you won't be alone. But yeah, it does look like a bunch of old farts out there :) Actually I'm 27 though, and today in cal 1 I realized how young these 18 year olds really were, but then I realized how old that that thought made me sound to myself :frowning2: Speaking of smack talk, pssshhh SEC.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #358 of 369
  Ok. I do think it works with android, and I will definitely bring the amp, cuz I really would like to hear it with a better dac, to see if it's worth spending decent money for one. Also I want to show it off, it's ridiculously good sounding at this point.

I'm in college, so you won't be alone. But yeah, it does look like a bunch of old farts out there :) Actually I'm 27 though, and today in cal 1 I realized how young these 18 year olds really were, but then I realized how old that that thought made me sound to myself :frowning2: Speaking of smack talk, pssshhh SEC.

cal 1?

I'm a calculus teacher.  Just throwing that out there in case you need some help at some point...

And yeah...SEC sucks.  So glad we got a REAL championship game this year 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #359 of 369
  cal 1?

I'm a calculus teacher.  Just throwing that out there in case you need some help at some point...

And yeah...SEC sucks.  So glad we got a REAL championship game this year 
evil_smiley.gif

Dude, those are fighting words
eek.gif
......I doubly hate the Big 10, growing up in Gainesville, then playing in the PAC 12!!!!! A pox on the Big 10, Ohio State, Cincinnati Chili, may your headphone cables be continually tangled!!!! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back