Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 5, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #7,817 of 16,931
Quote:
Would like to get a pair of in-ears with the same sound signature as my primary headphones Denon Ah-d7000.My price target is below 200 $.  They are going to be used with Sandisk sansa clip+ and galaxy nexus. I mainly listen to house-music while on the go, so good bass is important. Any suggestions?  

I am not familiar with the D7000. In that price range the Yamaha EPH-100 reminds me of the D2000 a little - solid, extended bass, warmish tone, decent but not particularly crisp treble.

Quote:

OK since Im not perfect in technical stuff. I would just like to have an upgraded version of MEE M6 with good bass, mid-bass, warm mids and highs should be as comfortable as possible. 

FXT90 is not over ear so I could remove from consideration(I hate straight down) . EPH-100 seems to have cable microphonics ,build quality issues and also some fit and comfort issues. Else it also looks good.

It looks like all options are closing on RE 262,GR 07 without mic and phonak 122 with mic. I am also looking on taking RE 262, but I heard that it needs some powering with an amp or driving or something. All I have is an android phone (both Samsung Galaxy Y and S3), I know nothing about amps and stuff, which of GR 07/RE 262 would be good to buy for my needs? Does buying RE262 needs some technical knowledge ? Since both you and ClieOS rated 262 over 07 and Im wondering whats so special about it 
blink.gif

The RE262 sounds nothing like the M6 - the M6 tends to be a little v-shaped.while the RE262 is mid-centric if anything. Also, I don't know of any build quality issues with the EPH-100 and the cable noise is fine with over-the-ear wear. If you like the enhanced bass of the M6, the EPH-100 is probably closer to what you want than the RE262 or GR07. 

Quote:
My RE262s finally arrived, and they sound amazing. 
basshead.gif
  Unamped, they really drain the J3 though... too bad it sounds better out of the J3 to me then it does from the Fiio E5.

The E5 is hit or miss in my experience. An old-fashioned mini3 or even a decent cmoy will work better but may not be worth the extra bulk. 

Quote:
Your review of the DTX 101 doesn't sound like a 7.4. Do you like them?

Warm and bassy isn't my kind of sound but they do perform well for what they are. I still have my pair of MMX101s - they make for a good casual listening set.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #7,821 of 16,931
Quote:

The RE262 sounds nothing like the M6 - the M6 tends to be a little v-shaped.while the RE262 is mid-centric if anything. Also, I don't know of any build quality issues with the EPH-100 and the cable noise is fine with over-the-ear wear. If you like the enhanced bass of the M6, the EPH-100 is probably closer to what you want than the RE262 or GR07. 

Hmm.. then my options narrow down to GR 07 and EPH 100. I cant understand really, you gave a 8.5/10 for EPH-100 and youre saying it better suits me than a 9.5/10 GR 07. Is GR 07 analytical? Which of EPH-100 and GR-07 is warm+sweet? I did like M6 only for its bass, it was pretty lacking on highs and mids. Only the triple flanges on M6 did gave me some comfort and the rest of the single/double flange tips were painful and uncomfortable for me. Since I can use my M6s triple flanges, GR 07 could be comfortable. Whats about the EPH -100? The M6s tips dont fit on those, so do they fit enough well in my ear? EPH-100 seems to be a bit costly over GR 07 (180$ over 149$ since I live far away in India, shipping for EPH-100 is high), so I would like to consider buying EPH-100 if its really a great improvement over GR 07. 

Thanks for your time and replies joker. I am just trying to be sure because I want this IEM to be lasting for 2-3 years and I do manage the phones well, so I guess it could be possible. I appreciate your time on this :)

Quote:
go for dtx 101 , better choice of the two .

A IEM is not simply better than other , every IEM has a + and -. You should add some technical terms before just saying its better. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #7,823 of 16,931
man what can i say , your stuck with dtx 101 , you come up always with that , im just trying to make your way to the dtx , cuz i feel you want the dtx any way , so get the dtx 101 , why bother this much man , you cant see others clearly , cc51 or se215 , what can i say .

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #7,824 of 16,931
       david wants the dtx , want me to explain with technique ? but how many times ? and david , im from china , still dont see any thing wrong .
      and for you hitme987 , the gr07 , is a evenly weighty all over spectrum , good bass , good highs and smooth mids . mids do lack the detail and attack of top end ba like ck10 , what you get is good bass and some top of the class highs , do you want highs ? or you liked your meelec m6 with ok highs ok mids and big bass , if you dont like highs , gr07 is not a 9.1/10 for you , then comes the eph-100 , slightly bigger bass , lacks some texture and body , similar mids as the gr07 , but lacks that aggressive highs , if highs are not your priority , eph-100 can be your 9.2/10 .
      so it all come to one thing , and the most important thing .
                                                                                          " what you want ?" my dear friend .
      just one suggestion , why dont you try the xba-3 ? similar to the eph-100 . as far as i know , xba-3 are cheaper in asia , some $150 or less .

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #7,825 of 16,931
So I went back to the comply tips (non-butchered by my hands). All I did was EQ the shortcomings, and I'm happy with it. The Turbines really are for work use while I walk around, and nothing too serious. The comfort and EQ-ed sound is all I need.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #7,826 of 16,931
thats nice , just make a habit of cleaning the tips once in while , maybe once a week , it will help to prolong the life . there must be a instruction for that , if not let me help you , run through hot water , use a tissue paper to clean any wax on it , squeeze it to get rid of the excess water , leave it over night to dry . and you will get a longer life out of them , significantly better then the average 3 months .

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #7,827 of 16,931
Quote:

Hmm.. then my options narrow down to GR 07 and EPH 100. I cant understand really, you gave a 8.5/10 for EPH-100 and youre saying it better suits me than a 9.5/10 GR 07. Is GR 07 analytical? Which of EPH-100 and GR-07 is warm+sweet? I did like M6 only for its bass, it was pretty lacking on highs and mids. Only the triple flanges on M6 did gave me some comfort and the rest of the single/double flange tips were painful and uncomfortable for me. Since I can use my M6s triple flanges, GR 07 could be comfortable. Whats about the EPH -100? The M6s tips dont fit on those, so do they fit enough well in my ear? EPH-100 seems to be a bit costly over GR 07 (180$ over 149$ since I live far away in India, shipping for EPH-100 is high), so I would like to consider buying EPH-100 if its really a great improvement over GR 07. 

Thanks for your time and replies joker. I am just trying to be sure because I want this IEM to be lasting for 2-3 years and I do manage the phones well, so I guess it could be possible. I appreciate your time on this :)

He is an Indian and they suck bad at English (Im not being a racist since Im an Indian too, but most tend to speak without learning it properly) and they always dont tend to explain things much. So, wait for Jokers comment :)

so you had a m6 , go for a smaller upgrade like se215 , cuz you may not be ready for too much detail . just look at the first line and i think you need a eye test , or you indians are this bad at maths ?

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #7,828 of 16,931
Quote:
(lots and lots of questions)

My advice to you:

1. Make a numbered list of up to 6 earphones you can't decide between
2. Throw a die
3. Buy the phones on your numbered list that the die picks
4. Follow my advanced EQ tutorial to make whatever phones you buy sound exactly like how you want them to sound
4.5 Profit
biggrin.gif

5. Report back after a month and post a pic showing your final EQ curve
6. Ask joker what phones would have the sound closest to your desired sound (as illustrated by your EQ on the phones you bought) so you can hopefully enjoy the same sound without EQ, or do like me and just kick back and enjoy your phones after you configure all your music and sound sources to work with the parametric EQ.  In my case I EQ'ed the $10 Philips SHE3580 and haven't heard anything I can put my hands on in the all-you-can-eat IEM auditioning buffet that is Hong Kong that sounds better than my EQ'ed SHE3580.  I'm not saying these are anything special (although people really like them at their price) because you should be able to do the same with any decent IEM.  And don't let people tell you you can't change the original sound signature of phones with EQ, because I did just that--I changed the SHE3580 from V-shaped to mid-forward, and the mids do not sound any worse for it--in fact they sound wonderful!

tl;dr: with EQ just about any decent pair of phones can sound like whatever you want them to sound; here's a list of 10+ phones in my collection that I got to sound within 5% to exactly like each other using different EQ settings
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612665/how-far-can-eq-really-go-towards-truly-equalizing-headphones/150#post_8505186

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #7,830 of 16,931
Hello guys!

I'll need a replacement for my Ultimate Ears 700, which are going to break soon :frowning2:

I am currently using DTX101, but imo they are a bit muffled and not so detailed what I would want from my earphones.

I loved my UE700 and I was thinking about getting Brainwavz B2, but I'm a little bit concerned about their durability. 

Any other options? My budget is about 200€, and I'm not a basshead. (looking similar sound to AKG K601 / UE700 / Genelec)

My source is rockboxed Fuze, without amp.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back