Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 24, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #13,936 of 16,931
  Just wondering how does the TDK BA200 compare to the E-Q7 and the UE900? I have the E-Q7 but have sold the UE900. 

It's been way too long since I've heard the e-Q7s... it's been discontinued for a long time. The UE900 is a little brighter and less warm than the BA200,and has a slightly more noticeable dip in the upper midrange, but overall they're not very different. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #13,937 of 16,931

It's been way too long since I've heard the e-Q7s... it's been discontinued for a long time. The UE900 is a little brighter and less warm than the BA200,and has a slightly more noticeable dip in the upper midrange, but overall they're not very different. 

Is the soundstage, layering and imaging comparable to them? If I remember correctly the UE900 seems to do quite well in this regard and also has a nice airy treble as well with good extension. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #13,938 of 16,931

I am not getting enough time to research and am thinking about reordering MEElectronics A161p as it meets most of my requirements. I am usually a silent lurker at the forum but it suddenly occurred to me that I could request your help like so many others.
I would really appreciate if you can give me a few options about IEM’s that are similar to 161P but may be considered an upgrade sonically.

Hi, I'd recommend VC1000. I loved my A161p for similar reasons as you describe, tried few other sets looking for improvements and didn't like them. After I heard VC1000 it became my favourite set. It sounds similar to A161p but overall better I'd say. Only downside it is a bit siblant, not too much thouhg. I learned to live without mic. :wink:

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #13,939 of 16,931
Ha-ha!

I had a Chinese colleague try my Liberty 1's this morning and she finally commented saying, and I quote "-It sounds too unreal!" I said, "-What do you mean?" She said, "-It sounds too clear and digital for me."
blink.gif

So, clearly she was not ready for this type of upgrade!
How is that for a weird and interesting review?
deadhorse.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #13,940 of 16,931
Just a question, 1clearhead:
I often find that headphones have quite a superior soundstage when compared to iems (true, I haven't tried many iems....
rolleyes.gif
, so maybe this is the reason)
like: Grados, Momentums, Denons have quite some soundstage...how do the Libertys stand concerning soundstage?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #13,941 of 16,931
  Just a question, 1clearhead:
I often find that headphones have quite a superior soundstage when compared to iems (true, I haven't tried many iems....
rolleyes.gif
, so maybe this is the reason)
like: Grados, Momentums, Denons have quite some soundstage...how do the Libertys stand concerning soundstage?

Thanks!

That's a good question!

While personally, I do compare them more with IEM's, they do sound pretty good in soundstage. You could hear the instruments as if you were their, plus the vocals are remarkably realistic.

They are behind the Pistons in soundstage for that matter, but outshine them in their extended mid and treble range.

They definitely do compare with the headphones you mentioned above, and so does the Pistons!

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #13,942 of 16,931
  Ha-ha!

I had a Chinese colleague try my Liberty 1's this morning and she finally commented saying, and I quote "-It sounds too unreal!" I said, "-What do you mean?" She said, "-It sounds too clear and digital for me."
blink.gif

So, clearly she was not ready for this type of upgrade!
How is that for a weird and interesting review?
deadhorse.gif

I don't know, I'd almost translate that as that they might be too smooth sounding or somehow lacking detail. If she didn't like what she heard, we shouldn't twist her words into something "actually positive, she just wasn't ready" it is actually a bit insulting. If she is a colleague, is she then also a sound engineer?

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #13,943 of 16,931
  I don't know, I'd almost translate that as that they might be too smooth sounding or somehow lacking detail. If she didn't like what she heard, we shouldn't twist her words into something "actually positive, she just wasn't ready" it is actually a bit insulting. If she is a colleague, is she then also a sound engineer?

Funny you're twisting the story and acting like you know my colleague for years as I do. That's exactly what you're doing, twisting the story. I'm sorry it was a little insulting to you.

.....And by the way, she went back to her dull sounding ear buds. So, my colleague and I knew exactly what she was saying.

Reread the joke, you may laugh a little.
wink_face.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #13,944 of 16,931
  Funny you're twisting the story and acting like you know my colleague for years as I do. That's exactly what you're doing, twisting the story. I'm sorry it was a little insulting to you.

.....And by the way, she went back to her dull sounding ear buds. So, my colleague and I knew exactly what she was saying.

Reread the joke, you may laugh a little.
wink_face.gif

Sorry, didn't know she was your soulmate.

Either way, I'll get to judge how I like them sometime in the future, ordered on ebay yesterday. It'll be fun to see if they top their similarly priced and wonderful monoprice 8320 which I was very impressed with when I first tried (haven't heard them for a while now). I can say without even hearing them or holding that they win in the ergonomics department at least.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #13,945 of 16,931
  Hi, I'd recommend VC1000. I loved my A161p for similar reasons as you describe, tried few other sets looking for improvements and didn't like them. After I heard VC1000 it became my favourite set. It sounds similar to A161p but overall better I'd say. Only downside it is a bit siblant, not too much thouhg. I learned to live without mic. :wink:

Thanks for responding.

I did consider VC1000 but Impedance of 50 ohm kept me away ( also decided against GR01 , TDK BA 200  and GR07 BE for similar reasons ). I use my IEMs commuting with a GS3  and I don't use portable amp . After a bad experienced driving highly respected DBA-02 mkII, I am wary of anything above 20 ohm. I also made at least 1 button control a must feature recently since I want to " keep it my pants" during commute
normal_smile .gif

So after spending too much time here, I have gone bananas and ordered A 161P and RBH EP2, If i don't like EP2, next option is RHA MA 750. All of them very easy to drive and with mic and controls.

BTW, I also ordered Ivery-IS1 to test out an inexpensive V shaped signature given all the hoopla about it recently . Not much to  lose there.

I am pretty sure that I have really screened this thread and made my choices but  I am always open to suggestions.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #13,946 of 16,931
  Sorry, didn't know she was your soulmate.

Either way, I'll get to judge how I like them sometime in the future, ordered on ebay yesterday. It'll be fun to see if they top their similarly priced and wonderful monoprice 8320 which I was very impressed with when I first tried (haven't heard them for a while now). I can say without even hearing them or holding that they win in the ergonomics department at least.

I too own the monoprice since Jokers review several years back and I can't even begin to say how they just outshined my 8320's. Though, they dearly remain in my collection!

In the ergonomics department, as you say, they are incredibly comfortable and will statisfy most, if not, all genders!

Cheers! Hope you like them.
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #13,948 of 16,931
I think that Joker should edit the thread title and change it to...

Multi-IEM Review - 316 IEMs compared to the Ivery IS-1

wink_face.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #13,950 of 16,931
  Is the soundstage, layering and imaging comparable to them? If I remember correctly the UE900 seems to do quite well in this regard and also has a nice airy treble as well with good extension. 

Yes, the UE900 does all of those things very well. The BA200 lags a little in sheer expanse and its treble is not quite as present and extended, as one might expect from a warmer-sounding earphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back