Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 18, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #13,651 of 16,931
intresting.....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718900/the-ostry-kc06a-the-guy-who-surprises-with-sound-class-look-and-many-more-d

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-carbon-aluminium-iem-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread

new players here...

May 18, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #13,652 of 16,931
I know you liked the vPulse, joker, so I thought I'd call your attention to the Donscorpio Bass Colour:

Look familiar?
smily_headphones1.gif

Speculation on the Chinese/Asian brand thread is that these are the vPulse, only available for $35 shipped from Hong Kong. Donscorpio has indicated a relationship with Velodyne, so they may be the OEM.

So far, no one has directly compared them yet. But they sound a lot to me like your review of the vPulse. Also, the accessories package looks like a lot like the vPulse as well:

If it's the same IEM, you could have a new king of bass best overall value in your $30-$60 tier
smily_headphones1.gif

Could be an OEM vPulse, or a knock-off. No way to know without comparing them, really, but the price makes sense. IIRC the regular vPulse has been down to $40 or so on sale. 

My VSD1S just crapped out on me (left driver went out
frown.gif
), and my GF's Brainwavz S1 were way too warm for me so I picked up a pair of Quadbeats (1) as a cheap pair of out and about IEMs. Popular consensus says that the stock tips aren't too hot, so I thought I'd ask if Joker or anyone else has a suggestion for some aftermarket tips. The nozzle looks pretty wide, so not sure what options there might be. Thanks, guys.

It's a pretty standard ~5.5mm nozzle - similar to the size used by Sennheiser, old UE products, MEElectronics, etc. You might consider just grabbing one of these if you're not sure what shape of tips normally works for you: http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11-bk-mee.htm 

It's page 911 in this thread - is there an emergency?

Not for long 
wink.gif

Joker, which portable player do you use?
it seems weird to me, theres so many earphones out there, and so little portable players.
most players are made by niche companies like Fiio.
i use my smartphone, and im not interested in a hi-res player,
but i was thinking maybe i'm seriously bottlenecking my experience because of the phone?
(Samsung Galaxy S1)
i read the Fiio X3 produces better audio the the iPhone (which means any other smartphone as well).
also...why are these Astell&Kern players so expansive?...do they put gold inside??
thanx...

The HM-901 and my trusty Cowon J3, depending on how patient I'm feeling. I have music on my Nexus 5 but it's not quite as good as the J3 IMO. Still a big improvement over my last phone, which was an HTC.

Love this thread!!!!

beerchug.gif

May 18, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #13,653 of 16,931
Could be an OEM vPulse, or a knock-off. No way to know without comparing them, really, but the price makes sense. IIRC the regular vPulse has been down to $40 or so on sale. 

Your reviews have been very helpful to me, and so I'd be glad to buy you a pair and have it sent to you. I'm sure you could tell pretty quick. PM if you are interested.

May 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #13,655 of 16,931
Your reviews have been very helpful to me, and so I'd be glad to buy you a pair and have it sent to you. I'm sure you could tell pretty quick. PM if you are interested.

Unfortunately I don't have my vPulse anymore - it was a loan that's been returned. Someone else will have to conduct this science test :p

Joker, HM-901 vs Nexus 5 : how big is the difference?
do you need 1000$ IEM to hear it, or is it crystal clear?
thank you..

The Nexus 5 doesn't sound particularly great in the first place so there's a sizable gap. You can hear it with some BA-based and fairly transparent, like a VC1000, definitely don't need $1000 earphones. Nexus just doesn't have great detail or dynamics, which is my favorite IEMs to use with it are warmer-sounding, smoother ones where it doesn't matter. The Sony MH1C, for example, or more recently the NarMoo S1. 

May 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #13,657 of 16,931
  Hi Guys,

does anyone has both hifiman re400 and vsonic gr07 ? which one of these are more neutral and clean sounding...not too much bass head

and which one of these will you recommend

The RE400 thread has extensive comparisons of the two. Some quoted below :

I've owned both, and they are very similar actually comparing them side by side.  You get a bit more impact with the BE though, which is pretty satisfying and they get your heart racing 
biggrin.gif
 Though, when compared to the RE-400, the MKII does have noticeably more bass weight and presence still.  The GR07s drivers are quicker, and they  are built like a tank.  Coming from the RE-400 though, if you like their treble presentation, the GR07 may be a deterrent there as they have more sparkle and are prone to sibilance due to being a bit peakier overall (and to a lesser extent the BE).  It certainly works well on some tracks though.  I typically prefer the more laid back (in comparison) treble of the RE-400 though.

i actually own both the re400 and the vsonic gr07 BE now the be edition is more expensive but it does have the extra bass response (despite its name its nowhere near basshead category) its more than re400 by a bit but its mindblowingly fast and tight, the extra bass it has over the mk2 supposedly is on the midbass only otherwise identical

the mids are a bit pushed back (but just by a hair) i really didn't notice until i a/b them back and forth for a good 15 minutes of hard core concentrating. but otherwise beautiful and clear. the mid are similar to the re400s in that its lean sounding which helps with its transparency (not as transparent as the re400 because of the bass boost but still top notch).

the treble is sparkly and dry and well extended, it is a bit siblant. i noticed this at first but its not siblant to the point where its ear piercing, its just more so than the re400 which has a impossibly smooth treble response

i actually find the re400 seems to extend farther (notice i said seem because of the extra emphasis the vsonic gr07 be has on the lower treble) but both extend very well

sound stage the gr07 is definitely wider abeit a bit more diffuse sounding. so in terms of layering its not as good as the re400

even though i've never tried the vsonic gr07 classic i think its a worthwhile try because vsonic was daring enough to replace a head-fi and china favorite, it can't disappoint

but the gr07 be is still being produced (the people of china demanded it and vsonic responded ) =) 

and lastly i would like just like to let you know, if my gr07be dies one day, i will get another pair! i might buy another one a few years down the road (or recable mines) they will be by my side for a long long time

In that price-range for that criteria there's the Vsonic GR07 Classic, which are currently $100.  They'll be a bit bassier and a bit more sparkly, but have a tendency to emphasize sibilance in recordings (I didn't like that trait myself but others are OK with it).  The Vsonic is still quite neutral, just slightly more forward bass and more sparkly treble, less forward mids than the RE-400 comparatively.  I'd call it a different flavor of neutral.  The GR07 tends to sound wider in soundstage, but not quite as deep as a result.  Since you like the presentation of the RE-400, my first recommendation would be the TDK BA200 but it has unfortunately been discontinued, so finding a new pair in that price range may be difficult.  Periodically they show up on Ebay/Amazon used in good condition for about $100-$120, but to get the best out of them you need a deeper fit and certain tips (foams, particularly Shure Olives work the best I find) so there's a bit more investment there.  On those, there is a bit more mid-bass and impact vs the RE-400 (though a tad less than the GR07) and a bit more sparkle with a slight tendency at exaggerating sibilance, but IMO less so than the GR07.  The BA200 tends to be the smoothest of the three, except for the treble region where the RE-400 wins out.  Plus, they are a bit fuller sounding than both RE-400 and GR07, thicker of note especially in the midrange.

Reviews:
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/hifiman-re-400-waterline/
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/vsonic-gr07/
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/tdk-ba200/
Measurements:
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/03/hifiman-re-400-evolution-or-devolution.html
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/10/vsonic-gr07-mkii.html
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/04/tdk-ba200.html

You can see how similar they are to one another 
cool.gif
 just little differences here and there in presentation.

The RE-400 has really great treble IMO - it is no less extended than the GR07, but it is smoother and (at least to my ear) more natural and realistic sounding.  The GR07 has more sparkle and presence, but is peakier as a result and as you've probably read, more prone to sibilance.  The driver of the GR07 is quicker, and the bass is of higher quality and quantity overall which is more satisfying there, I just wish the treble wasn't so harsh at times.  I do prefer the mids of the RE-400 though.  Each IEM serves it's purpose in my collection, but I have been thinking of a way to acoustically dampen the treble of the GR07, which I hope would bring the mids a bit more forward.  We'll see 
tongue.gif

I too don't plan on parting with the RE-400 any time soon!

May 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #13,658 of 16,931
Unfortunately I don't have my vPulse anymore - it was a loan that's been returned. Someone else will have to conduct this science test :p

Oh well. If you'd like to hear them anyway, I'd still be glad to buy you a pair of the Bass Colours.

May 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #13,659 of 16,931
  intresting.....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718900/the-ostry-kc06a-the-guy-who-surprises-with-sound-class-look-and-many-more-d

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-carbon-aluminium-iem-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread

new players here...

Agree.  Would love to hear Joker's take on Zero Audio (Tenore, Singolo, or Doppio) and Ostry (KC06 or KC06A).  I think they would rate highly.

May 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #13,660 of 16,931
A little irrelevant. I am perplexed as to why musicians always are seen wearing EarPods and beats buds when on stage they wear TOTL IEMs. I assumed going back to sub 50 headphones would sound horrible. Is this true?

May 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #13,663 of 16,931
A little irrelevant. I am perplexed as to why musicians always are seen wearing EarPods and beats buds when on stage they wear TOTL IEMs. I assumed going back to sub 50 headphones would sound horrible. Is this true?

I read this commentary by Steve Guttenberg on his CNET blog a little while ago. My experience (with the musician friends I have) is that while his observations are generalizations, they're true more often than not.

May 19, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #13,665 of 16,931
I know you liked the vPulse, joker, so I thought I'd call your attention to the Donscorpio Bass Colour:

Look familiar?
smily_headphones1.gif

Speculation on the Chinese/Asian brand thread is that these are the vPulse, only available for $35 shipped from Hong Kong. Donscorpio has indicated a relationship with Velodyne, so they may be the OEM.

So far, no one has directly compared them yet. But they sound a lot to me like your review of the vPulse. Also, the accessories package looks like a lot like the vPulse as well:

If it's the same IEM, you could have a new king of bass best overall value in your $30-$60 tier
smily_headphones1.gif

I sent donscorpio an e-mail a while ago and in broken english they said it is the same IEM with a diferent branding.
There was a sale on the vpulse in march too, 50% off making it $45 so almost the same price. Haven't seen it on sale since, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back