Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #13,081 of 16,931
The man speaketh! Btw, I do realize that the dn1k's are great and worth the money. Wish I had them! (much to the chagrin of my cheapo goodies lol)

Hehe you do realize you got a few items I envy too don't you?

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #13,083 of 16,931
^ and on that note, the Earphone Buyer's Guide has received a major 2014 overhaul.

This includes addition of the Dunu DN-1000, VSonic VSD1/S, and MOE-SS01

The following earphones have been retired from the Buyer's Guide: FutureSonics Atrio (discontinued). VSonic GR02 Bass Edition (replaced with VSonic VSD1), Astrotec AM-800 (replaced with MOE-SS01), VSonic VC02, MEElectronics A161P (seems to be discontinued)

Pricing and links have been updated. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #13,084 of 16,931
I just realized I joined here when the M6s were on top of the budget class headphones (with the M1 a more better and expensive choice). Now the Meelecs can't keep up with even the Monos, Phillip SHE which are a class ahead of them.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #13,086 of 16,931
  ^ and on that note, the Earphone Buyer's Guide has received a major 2014 overhaul.

This includes addition of the Dunu DN-1000, VSonic VSD1/S, and MOE-SS01

The following earphones have been retired from the Buyer's Guide: FutureSonics Atrio (discontinued). VSonic GR02 Bass Edition (replaced with VSonic VSD1), Astrotec AM-800 (replaced with MOE-SS01), VSonic VC02, MEElectronics A161P (seems to be discontinued)

Pricing and links have been updated. 

Superb stuff joker, as usual, good to see DN1k made it there...

beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #13,087 of 16,931
Hey joker,

Finally got my JVC FXD80, and they fit! How are they supposed to compare to the AM800? And do they need burn in or anything?

edit: the astrotecs are definitely lighter and slightly more comfortable, but the JVC seem a little harsh in the highs, is this normal?

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #13,088 of 16,931
granted, i'm new to these parts but it seems like the economics of upgraditis in the iem realm is hard to understand. in two channel audio, you can see how someone would "rationally" buy $5000 speakers which don't necessarily sound better than a $1500 pair--issues like aesthetics, design, brand prestige and collectibility are considerations. (likewise, lots of people buy $$$$ rolexes with full knowledge that a $200 seiko tells time just as well). with iems, however, aesthetics and prestige don't seem like major criteria--lots of pricier iems come from little-known manufacturers and don't look or feel much different than their lower-priced peers. which leads to the question: if today's $50 standouts are so good, will there be there any real market for the expensive stuff?

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #13,089 of 16,931
granted, i'm new to these parts but it seems like the economics of upgraditis in the iem realm is hard to understand. in two channel audio, you can see how someone would "rationally" buy $5000 speakers which don't necessarily sound better than a $1500 pair--issues like aesthetics, design, brand prestige and collectibility are considerations. (likewise, lots of people buy $$$$ rolexes with full knowledge that a $200 seiko tells time just as well). with iems, however, aesthetics and prestige don't seem like major criteria--lots of pricier iems come from little-known manufacturers and don't look or feel much different than their lower-priced peers. which leads to the question: if today's $50 standouts are so good, will there be there any real market for the expensive stuff?

Ill let you know soon enough. Have had vsd1 for 2 weeks dkn1 is on its way

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #13,090 of 16,931

IMO there'll always be a market for that stuff. It's still about not how it looks or feels but how it sounds. While there are $50 iems that sound very good in comparison to $100-200 ones that does't mean they an actually on-par with the best of them let alone on-par with the high-end stuff.  But there are diminishing returns and a $500 iem doesn't actually sound 10 times better than a $50 one. In the end it comes down to what is your budget and what are you willing to spend for sound quality. If one has the money to spare he'll go for the better sounding stuff and the expensive stuff is still the superior sounding.
The good thing about the lower and mid-fi iem getting better and better is that people with limited funds can enjoy very good sound for very little money in comparison to what they could get a few years ago for the same amount. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #13,091 of 16,931
I just realized I joined here when the M6s were on top of the budget class headphones (with the M1 a more better and expensive choice). Now the Meelecs can't keep up with even the Monos, Phillip SHE which are a class ahead of them.

Funny thing is, I use my M6 more than any of those except maybe the Philips, which makes for a good benchmark. The M6 just fits so well and stays so securely in my ears, and I know it will survive if I get a little sweat on it or if the cable gets snagged.

I tried replacing it with other sets as my active IEM but none have quite worked out. The Westove ADV was closest but I end up focusing on how crappy it sounds for $200. 

VC1000's are exactly what the doctor ordered, thanks ljokerl!

Glad you like them
beerchug.gif

Superb stuff joker, as usual, good to see DN1k made it there...

beerchug.gif

Thanks. The DN1k was bound to. I think it's the priciest thing there, which isn't saying much as I tried to keep it all reasonably-priced 
wink.gif

Hey joker,

Finally got my JVC FXD80, and they fit! How are they supposed to compare to the AM800? And do they need burn in or anything?

edit: the astrotecs are definitely lighter and slightly more comfortable, but the JVC seem a little harsh in the highs, is this normal?

My pair was a used loaner. They should be about as bright as the Astrotecs but with significantly better bass reach and maybe slightly more withdrawn mids (if you're listening to them at a higher volume to compensate for this, that might explain the harshness; otherwise maybe they will benefit from break-in). 

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #13,092 of 16,931
Looking for the right upgrade for re-400's to use with my dx50.
I listen to indie, hiphop, ambient, and edm. Big soundstage + slightlyyy boosted bass would be nice with decent overall clarity.
I have a couple contenders:

westone 4/4r/w40      very neutral, might be boring
sony xba-h3              fun, sony treble..
heir 4.ai                    tuned for jazz.. not sure if that's good or bad
ath-im02                   excellent clarity, possibly sibilant
noble 3                     might be the holy grail, maybe

Not sure where to start
confused_face_2.gif
 Help me trim down my list please

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #13,093 of 16,931
I just lost my Shure 535's. So damn sad! Are there any equal good or better in-ears in it's price range? They have to be well known and with a good warranty coverage. Someone tipped me about the Westone but that brand doesn't sell in my country so i have to exlude it unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #13,094 of 16,931
I listen to indie, hiphop, ambient, and edm. Big soundstage + slightlyyy boosted bass would be nice with decent overall clarity.

Not sure where to start
confused_face_2.gif

The Westones are the only ones I've tried out of those. They do have a thicker sound (along with more bass impact) and slightly subdued upper mids in comparison but I doubt an RE-400 fan will find them boring.

I just lost my Shure 535's. So damn sad! Are there any equal good or better in-ears in it's price range? They have to be well known and with a good warranty coverage. Someone tipped me about the Westone but that brand doesn't sell in my country so i have to exlude it unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

Having to be a big brand really narrows it down. The Sony MDR-7550 sounds better than the SE535 to me with a not-too-different sound signature (balanced, a little warm, with smooth treble). TDK BA200 does too, and has a similar form factor. Otherwise you're probably stuck with having to get another pair of Shures. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #13,095 of 16,931

Not sure where to start
confused_face_2.gif

Ath IM02/50/70 don't have sibilance issue. Granted. Heir 4.ai has some sibilance issues. You may add Yamaha EPH-100 or Jvc Fxt90 to the list for your genres.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back