Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #8,116 of 16,931
Quote:
hey ljokerl n all other head-fiers in this thread,

need advice...

I have to pick between  Bose ie2, klipsch s4 & sony XBA 3 as my gift..

Which is better and why...

I particularly like soundstage, true vocals, Nice treble, tight bass and most importantly instrument separation..

Plz respond

I am from india, so i only have only these IE's available around me...

:frowning2:

xba-3 all the way , bose ie2 is 3 years old model , image s3 is just entry level iem , and both of these are just not par with xba-3 , the new sony dont over do the bass , mids are really clear and crisp , highs are clear and dont have any harsh hiss in it like the s4 , lack sound stage but still okay , over all some mind blowing details . if you want more message me .

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #8,118 of 16,931
For anyone curious about how the PFE 232 measures, my review is now up on InnerFidelity with an additional measurements section: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/phonak-audeo-pfe-232

Quote:
Ive had the GR02 bass edition IEMs for 2 months now and Im looking for an upgrade.
Would the JVC HA-FXT90 suit a metalhead like me and would I get a much better sound than with the gr02?
also, the GR02 are somewhat too sibilant for me. Is sibilance a problem with the JVC HA-FXT90?
Thanks.

on a sidenote a somewhat offtopic question: if the gr02 are too sibilant for me, are the GR07's out of the question? because i wanted to get 07 in the first place but im too scared they will be too sibilant for me :frowning2:

I honestly wouldn't risk the GR06 or GR07 if you have issues with the GR02 - to my ears the three share that same treble presentation that many (including myself) find very unforgiving of sibilance. I would go for an EPH-100 as a safer bet. 

Quote:
 Thank you ljokerl, AstralStrom & Inks for the replys,

My impression of the PFE112(I have used only the grey filters) is about the same as of Inks, although I don't mind it to be foward, I would like something brighter. I'll consider the e-Q5, but it's a bit out of the budget I was intending, I've found the B2 for ~ 140€ (headsound.de) and the least that I've found the e-Q5 in europe was for about ~ 240€, sorry for putting the previous budget in dolars.

Do you think it's preferable for me to wait, gather some more money and try something better than the B2?( e-Q5, the GR10 as someone here previously recomended me, or something else?)

It's not a matter of value with the B2 - it's certainly got plenty of that. Just a matter of whether it's what you're looking for. That e-Q5 price is pretty bad so you might not have any other viable options.

Quote:
Could someone suggest something with good sub bass? I listen to all sorts so I don't want really want anything obnoxiously 'bassy' but I would really like some rumble for my trip-hop and dubstep. I can spend around $300 but I don't need to, if there's something cheaper that fits the bill then I can add it to my existing 'arsenal' and change about.

Entry level (price-wise) - Philips SHE3580. Mid-range - Velodyne vPulse. High-end - JVC FX500 or FX700, Atrio MG7

Quote:
There are some songs that are sibilant no matter what headphone you use. For example crumbs from your table by U2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5niA4eqmI) is probably the most sibilant song I have ever heard.

Two words: Simon and Garfunkel. 

Quote:
hey ljokerl n all other head-fiers in this thread,

need advice...

I have to pick between  Bose ie2, klipsch s4 & sony XBA 3 as my gift..

Which is better and why...

I particularly like soundstage, true vocals, Nice treble, tight bass and most importantly instrument separation..

Plz respond

I am from india, so i only have only these IE's available around me...

:frowning2:

I've only heard the S4 out of those, unfortunately. Based on my experience with the XBA-4, the XBA-3 probably isn't worth the money but is likely to be the best option there by a margin. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #8,119 of 16,931
Quote:

i've only heard the S4 out of those, unfortunately. Based on my experience with the XBA-4, the XBA-3 probably isn't worth the money but is likely to be the best option there by a margin. 

man the xba-3 is $160 there . i think it worth it . and the xba-4 is not available .

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #8,120 of 16,931
In India, XBA-3 is available for as low as ₹6600 ($120). Even the official price is only $145. Granted that it's more on account of the currency depreciation, it is still a decent choice for those who want to avoid the hassles of shipping and customs. But one is open to taking a little risk, plenty of better options can be found in that range. IMO, XBA-1 offers better value for money.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #8,121 of 16,931
Quote:
In India, XBA-3 is available for as low as ₹6600 ($120). Even the official price is only $145. Granted that it's more on account of the currency depreciation, it is still a decent choice for those who want to avoid the hassles of shipping and customs. But one is open to taking a little risk, plenty of better options can be found in that range. IMO, XBA-1 offers better value for money.

will agree with xba-1 , but he is getting it as a gift , so why not go for the best when you can , yes , wasting anyone's money is wrong but i think it worth it even over a ue 700 cuz of its build , i have rumbled with my xba-3 in my bed but its still there , but with the ue700 i had horrible experiences , even with a small stress one side goes dead . not to say 700 was entertaining , xba-3 just lacks some sound stage , and has better bass . i dont know about that site but wont trust that price .

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #8,122 of 16,931
hi guys,

I really feel drawn to the Etymotic Hf5 and was thinking of getting them + the custom tips since isolation an comfort are somewaht important to me. But before pulling the trigger I wanted to ask two questions:

1. : I am not sure wether they will perform well with the music I am listening to, wich would be mainly metalcore and (post-)hardcore like
     every time I die, Architects, Letlive, Sick of it all and so on...

2. : A friend of mine said that the tips will influence the sound slightly, so I wanted to ask wether this was true and if so, in what way would the costum tips influence it?

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #8,123 of 16,931
Quote:
Entry level (price-wise) - Philips SHE3580. Mid-range - Velodyne vPulse. High-end - JVC FX500 or FX700, Atrio MG7

It's interesting that you put the qualifier that the SHE3580 is entry level "price-wise".
wink.gif
It also got a mention in the FX40 review--is a SHE3580 coming soon?
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #8,124 of 16,931
Quote:
hi guys,

I really feel drawn to the Etymotic Hf5 and was thinking of getting them + the custom tips since isolation an comfort are somewaht important to me. But before pulling the trigger I wanted to ask two questions:

1. : I am not sure wether they will perform well with the music I am listening to, wich would be mainly metalcore and (post-)hardcore like
     every time I die, Architects, Letlive, Sick of it all and so on...

2. : A friend of mine said that the tips will influence the sound slightly, so I wanted to ask wether this was true and if so, in what way would the costum tips influence it?

1. There's really no set sound signature for listening to a genre, one person may prefer a bassy sound and another person prefer a bright sound (the opposite of bassy) for the same genre.  Better to list the phones you have listened to so far and what you think of them (eg too bassy, not bassy enough, vocals too recessed, etc.)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #8,125 of 16,931
Quote:
1. : I am not sure wether they will perform well with the music I am listening to, wich would be mainly metalcore and (post-)hardcore like      every time I die, Architects, Letlive, Sick of it all and so on...

Neutral or Analytical suits better for complex genres.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #8,126 of 16,931
Quote:

1. There's really no set sound signature for listening to a genre, one person may prefer a bassy sound and another person prefer a bright sound (the opposite of bassy) for the same genre.  Better to list the phones you have listened to so far and what you think of them (eg too bassy, not bassy enough, vocals too recessed, etc.)

the only IEMs I have are the Beyer DTX101 and those are way to bassy for me, other than that I never owned an IEM. I also have a V-Moda M80, wich I like and normally use on the go for now, a Beyer DT-770 wich is my standard-phone to use with my PC (but to bassy for music only use) and a Senheiser HD595, wich also is nice but a bit gloomy (if that makes any sense), what i miss from all of those is a certain level of detail, thats why I was thinking about the Etymotic

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #8,127 of 16,931
Quote:

It's interesting that you put the qualifier that the SHE3580 is entry level "price-wise".
wink.gif
It also got a mention in the FX40 review--is a SHE3580 coming soon?
biggrin.gif

Cant wait!!!    IMHO its one of the best IEMS under $20. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #8,128 of 16,931
Quote:
Could someone suggest something with good sub bass? I listen to all sorts so I don't want really want anything obnoxiously 'bassy' but I would really like some rumble for my trip-hop and dubstep. I can spend around $300 but I don't need to, if there's something cheaper that fits the bill then I can add it to my existing 'arsenal' and change about.

you should check the new brainwavz M5. it´s very good for the 35-40 preorder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back