Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 1, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #5,836 of 16,931
Btw joker, does the GR07 need a amplifier? Would the sound be much different with a amp? And if so what would be a good and affordable potable amp 

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #5,837 of 16,931

I've had my ER4Ps for almost a decade now. They've served me well. But I've always wanted a little more bass. Back then, there were only a few options for us head-fiers. Now, it seems like there are more IEMs than headphones, and I don't know where to start.

So what I'm looking for is a IEM with mids and highs like the ER4P, but with detailed, high quality, rumbling bass like in the Denon D2000s. I also want them to be well detailed, and have the amazing instrument separation of the Etys. Soundstage isn't as important, but I wouldn't mind one with a deep stage. Budget is less than $600. Of course, less is always better. Thanks.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #5,838 of 16,931

Quote:
The cc51 seems like the perfect fit but alas im a poor college kid. my budget is only around $30. Thanks for the response joker, ill be sure to read the rest of your thread to further educate my decision in finding the perfect iem for my price range.  Your thread is so wonderful and well done!
gs1000.gif

I assume you'd be trading in your A151. In that case, a CW31 or Brainwavz Beta would probably be your best bet if you just want a small bass bump while retaining good overall fidelity and don't mind mediocre isolation. The Beta is a little clearer and more detailed but doesn't sound as smooth as the CW31 up top.

Quote:
Btw joker, does the GR07 need a amplifier? Would the sound be much different with a amp? And if so what would be a good and affordable potable amp 

Despite the impedance, efficiency is one of the impressive traits of the GR07. I think you will be okay without one.

I haven't tried any of the portable amps popular around here lately. I still use an age-old mini3.

Quote:

I've had my ER4Ps for almost a decade now. They've served me well. But I've always wanted a little more bass. Back then, there were only a few options for us head-fiers. Now, it seems like there are more IEMs than headphones, and I don't know where to start.

So what I'm looking for is a IEM with mids and highs like the ER4P, but with detailed, high quality, rumbling bass like in the Denon D2000s. I also want them to be well detailed, and have the amazing instrument separation of the Etys. Soundstage isn't as important, but I wouldn't mind one with a deep stage. Budget is less than $600. Of course, less is always better. Thanks.

If you're willing to give up isolation, doesn't get much more Denon-like than a JVC FX700. Very deep and rumbly, but without sacrificing control. Huge increase in bass quantity over Etys without a drop in separation.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #5,839 of 16,931

beat me to it, even coming from a Denon D7000, the FX700 holds it's own

hands down

'high quality rumbling bass'

'well detailed, instrument sepation'

incredible timbre

Quote:
If you're willing to give up isolation, doesn't get much more Denon-like than a JVC FX700. Very deep and rumbly, but without sacrificing control. Huge increase in bass quantity over Etys without a drop in separation.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #5,840 of 16,931

Quote:
The Consonance is definitely bassier than the M2 but might be too v-shaped if you're after balance and smooth treble. From Fischer I'd go for the Eterna instead. I wouldn't say the treble of the TS02 is as smooth as M2, either, and the PR401 does have less bass. The ECCIs are definitely more balanced than the Consonance but still slightly mid-recessed. I can't think of anything in the price range that fits all of your requirements to a T but if you're willing to give up a bit of bass quantity (down the same level as PR401) the HiSound Crystal might work for you. If you're not willing to give up the bass, maybe one of the Xears (TD-III v.2 or N3i) would be a better choice. They have slightly have less treble emphasis than the Consonance/TS02/PR401 but still extend better than the M2.

Thank you for the reply, I need better soundstage than the Brainwavz M2. I don't need mids like as brainwavz M2 has. I need less mids but also not too much recessed mids; let say if we give 5 score to the M2's mids so I need 2.5 to 3 score in the newly earphone, more or same bass as M2 has which doesn't bleed into midrange and more extended treble than the Brainwavz M2 but in a smooth fashion. Instrument separation and imaging would be plus if I can get in my mentioned budget which is $60-$100.

Thank You.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #5,841 of 16,931
Joker, I see a lot of warnings about 'potential problems' with balanced armature IEMs in discussions on output impedance : you are probably aware of the revelation that Fiio's E9 had 10 ohms on the 1/4" socket and significantly higher on the smaller socket. I have used my E9 with a variety of IEMs without any appreciable damage, and I don't perceive any degradation in the sound (the higher output impedance reportedly messes with the frequency curve on some phones), but I'm interested in whether you know of any BA phones actually being damaged by an amp ?

I'm not looking to start a flame war, and I dont discount the principle behind the claims, but I have yet to see a single post from someone who broke their $400 BA earphones simply by plugging them into an amp. Always happy to hear otherwise.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #5,842 of 16,931
I don't remember reading about an amp doing that on its own but most amps will easily blow them up if turn the volume up too much.

If an amp has a pops or clicks when it turns on or off that could blow them too.  Schiit had some issues with that and had to put relays on the Asgard and Lyr.  The Lyr blew two people's ED8s.  If your amp does that and even if you're careful to not switch the power with a 'phone plugged into the amp it only takes a brief power cut to ruin the headphones.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #5,843 of 16,931
I may be confusing output impedance 'damage' with 'turn on thump' - the 'pops and clicks' you refer to - apologies if that is the case.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #5,845 of 16,931
Quote:
I may be confusing output impedance 'damage' with 'turn on thump' - the 'pops and clicks' you refer to - apologies if that is the case.

Damaged by the output impedance?  That can't really happen so I though you were talking about damage from amps in general from any factor that wasn't a "match" with IEMs.

The output impedance can't hurt anything by itself.  It affects FR by creating a frequency dependent voltage divider that transfers less power to the drivers at the frequencies with lower impedances.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #5,846 of 16,931
I'm ready to upgrade to some seriously detailed IEMs. This is what I have in mind:

-Etymotic HF5
-Sony XBA-1
-MEELEC A161
-JVC HA-FXT90
-Able Planet SI1000
-JVC HA-FX 500
-Radius DDM v1
-Shure SE215
-RE-ZERO (Build Quality makes me a bit nervous)
-Westone UM1
-Brainwavz M4
-Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10
-Fischer Audio SBA-03

What I'm looking for is the equivalent bass quantity of the CC51, but better texture (detailed). The speed of the bass has to be faster. The midrange has to be open and very detailed (moreso than the CC51). The treble has to be extended and sparkly (plus detailed and more than the CC51), but not overdoing it. The Soundstage has to have much better precision than the CC51 (Instrument Separation and Great Level of Submersion). The Clarity must be better than the CC51 (Sorry for the many CC51 Benchmark References). The Build Quality also has to be similar than the CC51 (maybe a tad bit stronger, but definitely stronger cable quality) Which one of those meet the requirements? 

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5,847 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:
beat me to it, even coming from a Denon D7000, the FX700 holds it's own

hands down

'high quality rumbling bass'

'well detailed, instrument sepation'

incredible timbre

Thanks guys. Definitely going to check them out. Is Seyo Shop the only place that sells them? Any word on how much they are in Japan? Because I'm going to be there for a couple of weeks.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #5,848 of 16,931

Quote:

Thank you for the reply, I need better soundstage than the Brainwavz M2. I don't need mids like as brainwavz M2 has. I need less mids but also not too much recessed mids; let say if we give 5 score to the M2's mids so I need 2.5 to 3 score in the newly earphone, more or same bass as M2 has which doesn't bleed into midrange and more extended treble than the Brainwavz M2 but in a smooth fashion. Instrument separation and imaging would be plus if I can get in my mentioned budget which is $60-$100.

Thank You.

Then I would go for the Eterna.

Quote:

Yes, I think you are. There is no way high output impedance of a source by itself can damage anything physically. If the pops you are thinking of are voltage spikes, they can probably be dangerous as they will result in a lot of current going to the driver, abnormally high driver displacement, etc.

Quote:
I'm ready to upgrade to some seriously detailed IEMs. This is what I have in mind:

-JVC HA-FXT90
-JVC HA-FX 500
-Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10

What I'm looking for is the equivalent bass quantity of the CC51, but better texture (detailed). The speed of the bass has to be faster. The midrange has to be open and very detailed (moreso than the CC51). The treble has to be extended and sparkly (plus detailed and more than the CC51), but not overdoing it. The Soundstage has to have much better precision than the CC51 (Instrument Separation and Great Level of Submersion). The Clarity must be better than the CC51 (Sorry for the many CC51 Benchmark References). The Build Quality also has to be similar than the CC51 (maybe a tad bit stronger, but definitely stronger cable quality) Which one of those meet the requirements? 

I haven't heard the Able Planet, UM1, or M4. I think wanting bass qty on-par with the CC51 would rule out the Sonys, Etys, RE-ZEROs, and maybe even the SBA-03/A161. The need for sparkly treble rules out the SE215 and DDM v.1. The remaining three (FXT90, FX500, TF10)  all fit your requirements and are about on-par from an SQ standpoint, with the FX500 being the brute that can sometimes get out of hand (especially at higher volumes) but rewards with an excellent presentation, timbre, and very good clarity. The TF10 and FXT90 are more straightforward - I'm sure you've read the reviews. I don't find the form factor of the TF10 to be as good as those of the JVCs but that's probably just me.

Quote:
Thanks guys. Definitely going to check them out. Is Seyo Shop the only place that sells them? Any word on how much they are in Japan? Because I'm going to be there for a couple of weeks.

They are about $280 on amazon.co.jp

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #5,849 of 16,931

Quote:

Then I would go for the Eterna.

Which Eterna? Rev. 1 and Rev. 2 both are available here. Could you please tell me the differences between Rev. 1 and Rev. 2 in bass, soundstage, imaging, layering, treble response, mids as compared to the Brainwavz M2. which Rev. Eterna's doesn't bleed into mid-range? which Rev. eterna has extended smooth highs than the M2's? which Rev. will be the best for me as you already know what I'm looking for in the new IEM. Will eterna's an upgrade over M2's for what I'm looking for??????? My source is Nationite Nanite N2.

I have noted some points In your eterna's review and comparison:

rev. 1 is bassier than the rev. 2
rev. 1 has slightly superior low-end clarity and resolution than the rev. 2.
rev. 1 is also not quite as thick sounding, leading to slightly better air and separation and making the soundstaging seem even more immersive than the rev. 2

rev. 2's evened-out response helps bring the treble into focus, making detail easier to pick out than the rev. 1
rev. 2 has slightly better mid-range presence than the rev. 1

Will I be able to notice these differences? which Rev. has more treble? Also both the Rev. has more treble extension than the M2?

Help me as I am a bit confused now.

Thank You.

Regards.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #5,850 of 16,931

Quote:
I haven't heard the Able Planet, UM1, or M4. I think wanting bass qty on-par with the CC51 would rule out the Sonys, Etys, RE-ZEROs, and maybe even the SBA-03/A161. The need for sparkly treble rules out the SE215 and DDM v.1. The remaining three (FXT90, FX500, TF10)  all fit your requirements and are about on-par from an SQ standpoint, with the FX500 being the brute that can sometimes get out of hand (especially at higher volumes) but rewards with an excellent presentation, timbre, and very good clarity. The TF10 and FXT90 are more straightforward - I'm sure you've read the reviews. I don't find the form factor of the TF10 to be as good as those of the JVCs but that's probably just me.

Thanks!
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back