Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #5,761 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey joker, this truly a great piece of work. Thanks a lot.

However, I wonder why you dont´t do reviews of high end IEM first , like sony EX600, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10..., because most members here probably I don´t care about 30$ IEMs.

Fixed that for you.

There are plenty here on Head-Fi who are interested in good budget IEM's. |joker| is only doing right by everyone, and not just most members
smile.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #5,762 of 16,931

Quote:
Hello everybody,

Just take a look please:

Fake Brainwavz Betas from MP4nation (?!)

Thanks!

Doubt they are fake. It is probably a build revision (one that looks pretty good, actually) that has not been officially announced. As for the sound, I doubt the CS staff you got through to knows anything about it. You'd have to find someone to do an A:B between the new and old ones.

Quote:
ljokerl, do you think the trimmed Meelec triple flange would be good on the FTX90?  I'm currently using the small triple flange (not trimmed) and it seems to work well, isolates a good amount and sound doesn't seem different than the stock tips.  Also, you mentioned biflanges as a preferred tip for the FXT90 - could you be more specific?  I see you didn't mean the Meelec biflanges, which is good because they're much too big for my ears.  Thanks!

I didn't really like the way deep-seal tips sounded with the FXT90. The bi-flange I was using are the 'short' type. I think mine are Sennheiser-branded but you can also get them from MEElec in the M11+ tip set.

Quote:

However, I wonder why you dont´t do reviews of high end IEM first , like sony EX600, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10..., because most members here probably don´t care about 30$ IEMs.

This thread was started with the goal of finding the best earphones in each price range - budget IEMs have always been a big part of it. Most of the high-end stuff gets reviewed to death anyway (the TF10 has a 400-page appreciation thread, for example) but some of the other gear has a total review count of none. 

Anyway, the KEB70 was a loan so I had to get it done and the i100 was interesting so I wanted to get it done. The EX600 review is finished as well and should be posted soon.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #5,763 of 16,931

Quote:
I didn't really like the way deep-seal tips sounded with the FXT90. The bi-flange I was using are the 'short' type. I think mine are Sennheiser-branded but you can also get them from MEElec in the M11+ tip set.

You mean this set, correct? http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11-bk-mee.htm

Would a trimmed large triple-flange be similar to the short bi-flange, or would it sit a lot deeper?  How much isolation would I be giving up moving from the small triple-flange to a short bi-flange?  I'm using these on the subway every day so every bit of isolation helps.

Are there any IEMs that sound similar to the FXT90 that would give me noticeably better isolation?  As a reference, I wasn't thrilled with the sound of the HF5 - I much prefer the more exciting sounding FXT90s.

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5,764 of 16,931

Thanks. New pics here.
Quote:
Doubt they are fake. It is probably a build revision (one that looks pretty good, actually) that has not been officially announced. As for the sound, I doubt the CS staff you got through to knows anything about it. You'd have to find someone to do an A:B between the new and old ones.

This thread was started with the goal of finding the best earphones in each price range - budget IEMs have always been a big part of it. Most of the high-end stuff gets reviewed to death anyway (the TF10 has a 400-page appreciation thread, for example) but some of the other gear has a total review count of none. 

Anyway, the KEB70 was a loan so I had to get it done and the i100 was interesting so I wanted to get it done. The EX600 review is finished as well and should be posted soon.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #5,765 of 16,931

Quote:

You mean this set, correct? http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11-bk-mee.htm

Would a trimmed large triple-flange be similar to the short bi-flange, or would it sit a lot deeper?  How much isolation would I be giving up moving from the small triple-flange to a short bi-flange?  I'm using these on the subway every day so every bit of isolation helps.

Are there any IEMs that sound similar to the FXT90 that would give me noticeably better isolation?  As a reference, I wasn't thrilled with the sound of the HF5 - I much prefer the more exciting sounding FXT90s.

Thanks!

Yes, that's the one. Triple-flanges sit deeper, even when trimmed. Isolation depends on seal, the answer is typically 'some'. If you're happy with the triple-flange tips I would just keep using them.

There are 'fun' IEMs with good isolation - just not necessarily ones that sound similar to the FXT90s. MG7 Atrios come to mind, as do the Monster Turbine Pros and Westone 3s. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #5,766 of 16,931

Quote:

Yes, that's the one. Triple-flanges sit deeper, even when trimmed. Isolation depends on seal, the answer is typically 'some'. If you're happy with the triple-flange tips I would just keep using them.

There are 'fun' IEMs with good isolation - just not necessarily ones that sound similar to the FXT90s. MG7 Atrios come to mind, as do the Monster Turbine Pros and Westone 3s. 

Reading over your descriptions of the earphones you mentioned, I think I'd prefer the FXT90 sound so I think I'll stick with them.  They actually seemed to have a bit too much bass for me at first (coming from the HF5) but I always loved the mids and especially the highs, and now I've gotten used to them and they sound very balanced to my ears.  I might try trimming the large triple-flanges especially since they're too big to use in my ears as is.

Thanks for the advice, and the amazing thread!

If anyone has any other suggestions for earphones that isolate better than the FXT90s and have a forward sound, non-recessed mids and sparkly highs, I'd love to hear them.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5,767 of 16,931

Quote:

Reading over your descriptions of the earphones you mentioned, I think I'd prefer the FXT90 sound so I think I'll stick with them.  They actually seemed to have a bit too much bass for me at first (coming from the HF5) but I always loved the mids and especially the highs, and now I've gotten used to them and they sound very balanced to my ears.  I might try trimming the large triple-flanges especially since they're too big to use in my ears as is.

Thanks for the advice, and the amazing thread!

If anyone has any other suggestions for earphones that isolate better than the FXT90s and have a forward sound, non-recessed mids and sparkly highs, I'd love to hear them.

MTPG/Coppers and the Miles Davis Tributes perhaps?

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #5,769 of 16,931

Quote:

However, I wonder why you dont´t do reviews of high end IEM first , like sony EX600, Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10..., because most members here probably don´t care about 30$ IEMs.

Those are high end?  
blink.gif
  You'll learn soon enough.  Welcome to Head-fi.  
wink_face.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #5,771 of 16,931
Just received SoundMagic E30s. I selected them based on lots of research, but primarily after perusing joker's reviews. Thanks so much for this tremendous resource.

I'm happy to say that I got exactly what I expected based on your review, including the need to get some foam tips :)

Again, thank you very much.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #5,772 of 16,931

Quote:
Just received SoundMagic E30s. I selected them based on lots of research, but primarily after perusing joker's reviews. Thanks so much for this tremendous resource.

I'm happy to say that I got exactly what I expected based on your review, including the need to get some foam tips :)

Again, thank you very much.

Good choice, enjoy!

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #5,775 of 16,931

Quote:
brilliant post joker, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! 
o2smile.gif

Thanks!

Quote:
joker, I don't remember if you already answered this.
does the EX1000 has more treble presence than FX700? and does the bass extend deeper than FX700?

Thanks

It was answered one of the several other times you asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back