Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #5,717 of 16,931

Quote:
joker, I am happy to say that the FX700 is exactly what you described. It definitely has more treble presence than the Turbine Copper. It also has more clarity, 3D, and separation.

It's very good but not perfect. If I'm looking for tighter bass, more 3D presentation, and more instrument separation, do I have to go into the custom market?

Thanks

Not sure, you'd have to ask someone more familiar with the custom market. The customs I've heard are all armature-based and don't deliver the bass of the FX700.

Quote:

Thanks dogears, the EHP-O2 is a really neat project for IEM's.

+1, thanks for sharing your impressions

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #5,720 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, in spite of few time to test him, your rating to XBA-1 is possible?

It was quite noisy on the show floor and I only had a couple of minutes so I'd rather not put a number on it. I did think that I would like to compare it to the Fischer SBA-03 and Ety HF5, which are two of the best <$150 single armatures I've come across.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #5,721 of 16,931

Quote:
I actually push the Ortofon EQ-5, but buy the GR-07's and get it over with
redface.gif

Not for me, Bass is the only thing the GR07 does better for me by comparison.  I also find the GR07 bass a hair over neutral where the EX1000 is a hair under.  Of course, that's splitting hairs.  
blink.gif

Quote:
I know the tips can change the sound but I'm just questioning if the magnitude of the change is just due to the tips.  There's a pretty big difference between "light and airy but with good bass extension" and "the bass almost knocked me out of my chair" and its not like I could have heard the 20Hz tone on the Chesky "Heartbeats" track if I didn't have a proper seal.

Maybe the the IEMs I've owned are just relatively insensitive to tips but I've never heard a difference that big.  Maybe we have ideas about how strong is "strong".  I thought it was weaker than my SE530s but I don't remember how much weaker.  Since it was so long ago I'm going by what I posted about it then.

ES5 definitely hits harder and larger than the 530.  Probably the cleanest, hardest hitting BA I've heard in the low end of any IEM I've heard yet.  The thing with tips is that's it's not just seal, but how the tips place the IEMs in your canal.  Depending you could get a deeper insertion or a shallower one which will affect volume and proximity.  Not to mention various bore diameters shaping the signature as well as the respective IEM design in question.  I did use the 602>Arrow amp high gain to demo them on a noisy CES floor that was probably over 80+dB at the least.

How loud were you listening and from what source?

Quote:
You're right, now that I've had more time with them I think even calling the GR10 an ER4S upgrade is a stretch.  I like the Ety's treble more but I do prefer the GR10's bass though the Ety's are just lacking punch and not depth. 

I also find they lack dimensionality.  It's that typical 2D BA signature that annoys me.  ER4S is a great, obvious choice in a world with less choices.  

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #5,722 of 16,931
Seems like a pretty spot-on characterization to me --- not splitting hairs at all... IMO

Quote:
Not for me, Bass is the only thing the GR07 does better for me by comparison.  I also find the GR07 bass a hair over neutral where the EX1000 is a hair under.  Of course, that's splitting hairs.  
blink.gif

I find also that it's actually not until you hear something that does have pronounced dimensionality that it really hits home. I thought my DBA were okay with regard to depth, and then I bought the BA200, which obliterated my idea of 3D sound possible in a BA package not named SM3 or UM3x

I also find they lack dimensionality.  It's that typical 2D BA signature that annoys me.  ER4S is a great, obvious choice in a world with less choices.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #5,723 of 16,931
Quote:
ES5 definitely hits harder and larger than the 530.  Probably the cleanest, hardest hitting BA I've heard in the low end of any IEM I've heard yet.  The thing with tips is that's it's not just seal, but how the tips place the IEMs in your canal.  Depending you could get a deeper insertion or a shallower one which will affect volume and proximity.  Not to mention various bore diameters shaping the signature as well as the respective IEM design in question.  I did use the 602>Arrow amp high gain to demo them on a noisy CES floor that was probably over 80+dB at the least.

I suppose the depth could be it.  I'm not sure how you're supposed to fit those sorts of large demo shells very deep into your ears though.  Maybe I'm just underestimating it because the IEMs I've owned haven't been too sensitive to that sort of thing.

Source was Cowon D2+ to Total Bithead.

Its good to know that they do have more bass though.  I loved everything else about it.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #5,725 of 16,931
Yes, bass on the EX1000 is substantially tighter than on the FX700's. The FX700 bass is greater in quantity and impact. As for clarity they're both a notch below the most transparent universals and two or three notches beneath my customs. They both have large sound stages as befitting dynamics but if memory serves correctly the FX700 has slightly better instrument separation (I could be wrong about this, but the Sonys give more of a cohesive presentation).

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #5,728 of 16,931
Impressive indeed

1. [size=9pt]Memory wire that conforms to the ear for a locked-in fit[/size]
  2. [size=9pt]A modular cable system for ease of use[/size]
  3. [size=9pt]Enhanced sweat resistance for added workout durability[/size]
  4. [size=9pt]Tangle resistant, color matched, noise-free cable[/size]
  5. [size=9pt]Superior enhanced bass that is tight and powerful[/size]
  6. [size=9pt]Noise-isolating in-ear design reduces background noise[/size]
  7. [size=9pt]Sport-inspired two-tone color scheme[/size]
  8. [size=9pt]Flush-in-the-ear design reduces wind noise and fits under most helmets[/size]
  9. [size=9pt]Includes neoprene sports armband, zipper carrying case, and 6 pairs of ear tips[/size]

1. [size=9pt]1 year manufacturer warranty*[/size]

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #5,729 of 16,931
I had the so loved GR07,i sell them just for an fitting issue. But i'm looking for some customs now, can you tell me something with more soundstage and sparkling treble than gr07??
not passing the 600$.

removable cable, silicone, fairly neutral not v-shaped eq, good instrument texture. (and i think having one driver for bass and other one for treble will leave the mids slightly recessed and without proper mid texture, just my thought!)

I Live in portugal, europe.

Thank You joker for all that hard work, i'll apreciate your answer if you have the time for it:)

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #5,730 of 16,931

Quote:
I had the so loved GR07,i sell them just for an fitting issue. But i'm looking for some customs now, can you tell me something with more soundstage and sparkling treble than gr07??
not passing the 600$.

removable cable, silicone, fairly neutral not v-shaped eq, good instrument texture. (and i think having one driver for bass and other one for treble will leave the mids slightly recessed and without proper mid texture, just my thought!)

I Live in portugal, europe.

Thank You joker for all that hard work, i'll apreciate your answer if you have the time for it:)

The problem is that there are only a handful of companies that do custom molds in silicone. Off the top of my head - ACS (Altec Lansing), Minerva, Spiral Ear, and Sensaphonics. Some others may have a silicone option. Still fewer offer removable cables - I believe only Sensaphonics has a track record with a silicone mold + detachable cable setup. I have not heard any custom earphones from these companies so I can't be of help with those.

Among the three $300+ (non-silicone) customs that I do own, the Miracle is the only one with as much as (or maybe a touch more) sparkle as the GR07. Other than that the CTM-200 fits your requirements. It is not mid-recessed and I am not even sure where the crossover point is between the two drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back