Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 29, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #5,341 of 16,931

Quote:
The Xears Coupon code isn't valid anymore... I was just going to buy the Xears XE 200 PRO... sigh...
It was a really great bargain...

I would email Xears and ask if any other promotions are available. Coupon was supposed to be good until the end of the year.

Quote:
well I never come to this thread...

Anyone knows if this foam tip would fit the ety MC5? mines are pretty much disintegrated

ER38-14F​
Black Foam Eartips​
 - $14.00 5 Pairs​

I remember reading once something about the MC5 having a different bore size then the rest of the etys(?)

edit: also these ones on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER4-14F-Replacement-Earphones/dp/B0015WNZD6
they are for the ER4, but they say it fits the HF5, are the HF5 and MC5 about the same size? those doesnt seem to be at ety website.

Yes, almost strange to see you in this thread
rolleyes.gif
. All Ety nozzles are pretty much the same size. I used the same set of Shure Olives on my HF3 and MC5. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #5,343 of 16,931
Guys can anyone comment on my small comparison bwtween brainwavz Pro alpha and visonic Gr07? (i plan to sell the Brainwavz)

Generally i can see that GR07 is a lot more superior. Although the Pro alpha has more bass quantity the gr07 has faster bass speed and more tight and kicking where it should. The mids have more clarity and can reproduce a lot more sounds both mids and highs. Also the highs extend lot further. In the long run the gr07's sound is less tiring in the ear i think.
Now what troubles me? for some reason the presentation of the pro alpha is a bit more live. I dont know if its more natural or not but the vocals are a bit more in front of the presentation making it more real or something. Although it is a bit more engadging in the start it gets tiring i think. Last Some noise due to bad recording is heared a lot more in the brainwavz pro alpha. (Standing on the Shore- Empire of the Sun).
I dont know if this is bad or good. This happens because pro alpha has more V-shape sound than the vsonic?

Any thoughts?

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #5,344 of 16,931
I'd really like to see your review on the JVC HA FXT90's.  I just purchased some and I always find your reviews very informative.  Also on the ClarityOne to see if you think the sound stage and separation is as thin as I do.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #5,345 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would email Xears and ask if any other promotions are available. Coupon was supposed to be good until the end of the year.

Thank you very much 
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #5,346 of 16,931

Quote:

Now what troubles me? for some reason the presentation of the pro alpha is a bit more live. I dont know if its more natural or not but the vocals are a bit more in front of the presentation making it more real or something. Although it is a bit more engadging in the start it gets tiring i think. 

The GR07 doesn't do intimacy very well - it's got good soundstage width but only moderate depth. 

Quote:
I'd really like to see your review on the JVC HA FXT90's.  I just purchased some and I always find your reviews very informative.  Also on the ClarityOne to see if you think the sound stage and separation is as thin as I do.

The ClarityOne is taking a long time because of how wild some of the manufacturer's claims are. I have a lot of issues with the way these are marketed and it's making the objective review more difficult to write (I especially like how the distorted square wave magically turns into a perfect sine wave in the 'tech' section of their site). The sound of the earphone itself is interesting - somewhat v-shaped but really very aggressive all around. I find them to be off-base when it comes to timbre (esp. with instruments that rely on upper midrange and treble response) and note thickness is indeed lacking slightly. There are a number of things I like, too, but I'm just not as impressed as I was earlier in the month with the similarly-priced Fischer SBA-03 or the FXT90.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #5,347 of 16,931
Quote:
The ClarityOne is taking a long time because of how wild some of the manufacturer's claims are. I have a lot of issues with the way these are marketed and it's making the objective review more difficult to write (I especially like how the distorted square wave magically turns into a perfect sine wave in the 'tech' section of their site). The sound of the earphone itself is interesting - somewhat v-shaped but really very aggressive all around. I find them to be off-base when it comes to timbre (esp. with instruments that rely on upper midrange and treble response) and note thickness is indeed lacking slightly. There are a number of things I like, too, but I'm just not as impressed as I was earlier in the month with the similarly-priced Fischer SBA-03 or the FXT90.

I concur with all of this and will be really interested in your final conclusion. These are some strange sounding IEMs imo, and even though the manufacturer's claims regarding their "PureSound Processor" are most likely bogus, they do indeed sound "EQed" in some odd way.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #5,348 of 16,931
Indeed, for $112 bones, they aren't bad. But they're FAR from revolutionary, especially with the likes of the EX600, FXT90, and GR07 (among others) around. They're still quite fun, nonetheless, if that's what one is after. I know quite a number of friends and family members that couldn't be happier. I also know a few that could. 
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #5,350 of 16,931

Quote:
The GR07 doesn't do intimacy very well - it's got good soundstage width but only moderate depth. 

Impressed is the same adjective that I used on Italian forum HERE to describe the sound effect of the FXT90
beerchug.gif

Yes, I received yesterday.
biggrin.gif

At the moment I thank you for the advice.
smile.gif

In a few days I'll be more clear...I hope..
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #5,351 of 16,931

Quote:

I concur with all of this and will be really interested in your final conclusion. These are some strange sounding IEMs imo, and even though the manufacturer's claims regarding their "PureSound Processor" are most likely bogus, they do indeed sound "EQed" in some odd way.

Same here 
wink.gif
. Haven't fully made up my mind about them yet.

Quote:
Indeed, for $112 bones, they aren't bad. But they're FAR from revolutionary, especially with the likes of the EX600, FXT90, and GR07 (among others) around. They're still quite fun, nonetheless, if that's what one is after

Agreed, I think they do especially well with electronic music where natural instruments are not present.

Quote:

Do you find the JVC FXT90 to have better intimacy?

Yes, absolutely. The FXT90 can be pretty forward.

Quote:
Impressed is the same adjective that I used on Italian forum HERE to describe the sound effect of the FXT90
beerchug.gif

Yes, I received yesterday.
biggrin.gif

At the moment I thank you for the advice.
smile.gif

In a few days I'll be more clear...I hope..
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Glad you like them! They do a lot of things very right.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #5,352 of 16,931
Hey joker are you going to have the FXT90 and the EX600 in the next set of reviews you post, I'd like to see what you think about those 2.  I'm sure I'll love the FXT90 when they get here but just in case I don't or if its has a defect, I'd like to hear what you think of the EX600 because I was close to getting those (as well as the Yamaha EPH-100SL which I don't think you have to review).

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5,353 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey joker are you going to have the FXT90 and the EX600 in the next set of reviews you post, I'd like to see what you think about those 2.  I'm sure I'll love the FXT90 when they get here but just in case I don't or if its has a defect, I'd like to hear what you think of the EX600 because I was close to getting those (as well as the Yamaha EPH-100SL which I don't think you have to review).

X2.

Joker, I am in a situation where I am very undecided on which way to go. I can grab a pair of the ex600, or fxt90 for the low 100's, or just go with something cheaper like the MEE A151 or Brainwavz M2.  I am just looking for a set of IEM's to replace some broken Ety Er6i's for the gym.  Something secure, decently durable, and that will sound atleast as good as the ER6i's or better. I am just typically the kind of person where if $50 gets me "mediocre" quality I rater just spend the extra money and get something that is leaps and bounds better.  If for $50 the A151's will hold up well, fit securely, and produce a decent sound, I am all for saving $75.

I mostly listen to hip hop/rap, with some newer alternative/rock type music.

Thanks for any insight!

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #5,354 of 16,931
Thanks for the cumulative & insightful reviews ljokerl.
Hope you add the following to your round-up:

Klipsch X10
Logitech Ultimate Ears 600
Denon AH-C560
Sony MDR-EX510
Audio-Technica ATH-CKS77
Brainwavz M4

Comparisons between all of these would be greatly appreciated; as well as with Etymotic's HF5.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #5,355 of 16,931

Quote:

Maybe not in the next post, but soon. Both reviews are completed to a large degree. JVCs should go up first.

Quote:
Joker, I am in a situation where I am very undecided on which way to go. I can grab a pair of the ex600, or fxt90 for the low 100's, or just go with something cheaper like the MEE A151 or Brainwavz M2.  I am just looking for a set of IEM's to replace some broken Ety Er6i's for the gym.  Something secure, decently durable, and that will sound atleast as good as the ER6i's or better. I am just typically the kind of person where if $50 gets me "mediocre" quality I rater just spend the extra money and get something that is leaps and bounds better.  If for $50 the A151's will hold up well, fit securely, and produce a decent sound, I am all for saving $75.

I mostly listen to hip hop/rap, with some newer alternative/rock type music.

Thanks for any insight!

The A151 is very different in tuning from the Er6i - better bass punch and depth, but underemphasized treble with less energy. For the gym the A151 works great because of noise-free cable and over-the-ear fit and you certainly won't do much better for $50 if you like BA sound. However, if you wanted something similar to the sound of your ER6i, you may be better off splurging on an Ety HF5. Also, EX600 fit may not be secure enough for gym use.

Quote:
Thanks for the cumulative & insightful reviews ljokerl.
Hope you add the following to your round-up:

Klipsch X10
Logitech Ultimate Ears 600
Denon AH-C560
Sony MDR-EX510
Audio-Technica ATH-CKS77
Brainwavz M4

Comparisons between all of these would be greatly appreciated; as well as with Etymotic's HF5.

I only have the UE600 review planned at this time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back