Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #5,297 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

Nah, I never liked the ER4. I loved it! Hence why I use the HF2 as my exclusive means on the go. 
smile.gif

Ah, same here. I went (Er6i) -> ER-4S -> HF3 -> HF2 (for android compatibility) -> ER-4S. Was tempted to keep the HF2 as a headset when I got my 2nd ER-4S but I only have 1 set of custom molds so there would have been a constant conflict. 

Quote:
I was wondering.. since so many of our beloved companies have offers what iem would be a good partner for my gr07. meelec offers the cc51 for $36 and hisound the crystals for 50$. I am buying them with the possibility to use them for commuting and maybe running and sports. I guess the crystals build quality and comfort suits the situation better?

P.S has anyone tried the hisound small mp3players? the rocoo C and the amp3 m?

I would say the CC51 is a better GR07 companion, being a more colored set, but for gym use the Crystal is clearly more durable and more secure as well (since it can easily be worn over-the-ear). 

Quote:
Also, if there is a very small light tear (not a hole ) in the part where the soft black part connects to the firm part in the Sony Hybrids, could if effect SQ?

If it affects your ability to get an airtight seal - yes.

Quote:
Hey Joker did you change the picture of the ER4? I think you changed the score for sound too up to a 9.1.

Earlier this week. The old pic was terrible. I also re-wrote the review a bit, something I've been meaning to do for a while since that was one of my first high-end reviews and not very informative. The sound score was teetering around ~9.05 anyway so I just rounded it up after doing some more listening with my new ER4S, properly amped and with custom tips, against the other 9-9.1 range stuff I have.

Quote:
Just jumping into IEMs and the HF5 have caught my eye. But, will I have problems getting these into my ears? Also, I mostly listen to EDM.

No, no issue getting them in. Whether you are comfortable with the deep insertion in the long run is a different matter, though. If you give yourself time to adjust it should be fine. Not sure why you picked the Etys specifically but for sheer accuracy they are one of the best ways to spend the money.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #5,298 of 16,931
Thank you very much, but I have one more question, just so I can make this clear.

Your reccomending the M21/M31 over the M11+ for rap/hip-hop correct?
How about some R&B with T-pain?
Songs like this one?

I would like to be able to hear all the crisp vocals to some extent, but having great bass and an overall fun sound if possible. 
Should the M31 be able to pull of sounding good on a song like above?

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #5,299 of 16,931
My IEM purchasing path was Brainwavz M1 -> M3 -> M2 -> Vsonic GR07.. The GR07 is by far my most favorite and completely blows the M3 and M1 out of the water from what I remember of them.. What I'm looking for is a pair with the clarity and response of the GR07s in the mids and highs with bass more in tune with the M2s but better overall quality.. The GR07 becomes uncomfortable fit wise after a while because my ears are a tad bit too small for the housing and it begins to dig into the bottom of my ear which is another reason I'd like an upgrade/sidegrade..  I can return the GR07 for 180 and can add 20-70 on top of it so if there's a pair at 250 or under that would give me what I'm looking for I'd like that.. The other option is an amp like the E6 with its bass boost on the GR07s.. The isolation on the GR07s is good enough as is the sound stage and separation but if any of that can be improved that would also be welcomed.. Thank you for any suggestions and if what I'm looking for is well above what I have to spend thanks for letting me know that as well and I'll try the amp route.. My portable source is my HTC G2 and my home setup is a Fiio E10.. I listen to the basics genre wise: hip hop, rock, pop

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #5,300 of 16,931

Quote:
Thank you very much, but I have one more question, just so I can make this clear.

Your reccomending the M21/M31 over the M11+ for rap/hip-hop correct?
How about some R&B with T-pain?
Songs like this one?

I would like to be able to hear all the crisp vocals to some extent, but having great bass and an overall fun sound if possible. 
Should the M31 be able to pull of sounding good on a song like above?

They all perform about the same, just with different sound signatures. The M11+ is a little clearer than the M31 but not as bassy or warm.

Quote:
My IEM purchasing path was Brainwavz M1 -> M3 -> M2 -> Vsonic GR07.. The GR07 is by far my most favorite and completely blows the M3 and M1 out of the water from what I remember of them.. What I'm looking for is a pair with the clarity and response of the GR07s in the mids and highs with bass more in tune with the M2s but better overall quality.. The GR07 becomes uncomfortable fit wise after a while because my ears are a tad bit too small for the housing and it begins to dig into the bottom of my ear which is another reason I'd like an upgrade/sidegrade..  I can return the GR07 for 180 and can add 20-70 on top of it so if there's a pair at 250 or under that would give me what I'm looking for I'd like that.. The other option is an amp like the E6 with its bass boost on the GR07s.. The isolation on the GR07s is good enough as is the sound stage and separation but if any of that can be improved that would also be welcomed.. Thank you for any suggestions and if what I'm looking for is well above what I have to spend thanks for letting me know that as well and I'll try the amp route.. My portable source is my HTC G2 and my home setup is a Fiio E10.. I listen to the basics genre wise: hip hop, rock, pop

I don't think you'll find an upgrade from the GR07 with more bass in that price range. For sidegrades with more bass, read up on the JVC FX500, JVC FXT90, and ATH-CKM99. Not sure about housing size - the CKM99 and FXT90 are different in shape but not necessarily 'smaller' than the GR07. The FXT90 doesn't have that much more bass but it's fuller and a little more forward at the low end, with more of a mid-bass lift, giving it a greater impression of bass power. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5,301 of 16,931
What about a slight downgrade in mids/highs but a good upgrade in bass? How do the Atrio MG7 or the MTPG compare? Those are the two that seem to be at least a little similar but with more bass.. But I haven't seen any comparisons to the GR07 since they are a different type of IEM.. Thank you so much for your answer

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #5,302 of 16,931

Quote:
What about a slight downgrade in mids/highs but a good upgrade in bass? How do the Atrio MG7 or the MTPG compare? Those are the two that seem to be at least a little similar but with more bass.. But I haven't seen any comparisons to the GR07 since they are a different type of IEM.. Thank you so much for your answer

The ones I listed are probably more similar. The MG7 moves very far away from the GR07 with its smallish soundstage, heavy deep bass emphasis, and darker tone. The MTPG is very different as well with its warm, laid-back nature and extreme smoothness. Both are fine as long as you are not expecting a GR07-like signature.

Aside from poor isolation, the FX500 is probably what you want - heavy bass, good midrange clarity, large soundstage, more conventional fit for smaller outer ears. The treble is pretty edgy but probably not an issue at moderate volumes. The CKM99 is somewhat similar but isolates a lot more and is tamer in the bass and treble. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #5,303 of 16,931
Really what I'm looking for is a more fun IEM to listen to while at work since I recently purchased a nice pair of studio monitor headphones for the neutral response I wanted for house use.. The GR07 are amazing and filled both home/work needs but now that I don't use them at home while I'm out I want something that gets me moving and into the music.. I think what I really want is an improved M2 with enough clarity in the mids and highs that I didn't get with the M2s plus better bass response which is why I was looking at the golds and M7s.. Do those fit that? Also I need at least good isolation as my job has a lot of noise around me.. I also wanted to try and find something I could purchase off of amazon so just in case I don't like it I know I can trust in their return policy.. But if the FX500 are what I'm describing I'll look into those over the others.. Sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate the time it takes to answer them

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #5,304 of 16,931
Joker, if you had the IE8(0) and the ACS T15 side by side for the same price (we get to buy the new IE80 for ~ € 200, which would be just as much as importing the ACS T15 from UK, shipping included), which would you choose?

Considering I like the presence of bass (but it shouldn't have to be bass monster) and appreciate details. But the most important part of the sound to me, is the "impact" - I don't only want to hear it, I want to feel it, I want to feel the energy, the drive. My music styles is almost 100% electronic (think Kraftwerk, Jarre, New Wave, and other kinds of synth pop..). Bass presence is as said important, but I wouldn't want the bloated one note doof that I get from my S4. Clarity is almost as important, and soundstage is probably the lest important part. I know this probably sounds like up the ACS alley - however, 2000 kr ($270, €200) for the new IE 80 sounds like an offer too good to let go?

As reference I found the RE-262 a little too "laid back" or something for my tastes. A little too mid centric perhaps? I wanted better bass response and a lot more treble, as I thought they sounded somewhat muffled to me..

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #5,305 of 16,931
The A161 is to have more extended, yet beeper bass than the A151 and is to be much more well balanced sound signature with a peak around 8-13 Khz and the frequency range is around 5 hz to 30 Khz. Geez!
basshead.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #5,306 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, if you had the IE8(0) and the ACS T15 side by side for the same price (we get to buy the new IE80 for ~ € 200, which would be just as much as importing the ACS T15 from UK, shipping included), which would you choose?

Considering I like the presence of bass (but it shouldn't have to be bass monster) and appreciate details. But the most important part of the sound to me, is the "impact" - I don't only want to hear it, I want to feel it, I want to feel the energy, the drive. My music styles is almost 100% electronic (think Kraftwerk, Jarre, New Wave, and other kinds of synth pop..). Bass presence is as said important, but I wouldn't want the bloated one note doof that I get from my S4. Clarity is almost as important, and soundstage is probably the lest important part. I know this probably sounds like up the ACS alley - however, 2000 kr ($270, €200) for the new IE 80 sounds like an offer too good to let go?

As reference I found the RE-262 a little too "laid back" or something for my tastes. A little too mid centric perhaps? I wanted better bass response and a lot more treble, as I thought they sounded somewhat muffled to me..

Either the MG7 or the FX500. The MTPG is too excessive on bass. The MTPC could be a good candidate.

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #5,307 of 16,931

Quote:
Really what I'm looking for is a more fun IEM to listen to while at work since I recently purchased a nice pair of studio monitor headphones for the neutral response I wanted for house use.. The GR07 are amazing and filled both home/work needs but now that I don't use them at home while I'm out I want something that gets me moving and into the music.. I think what I really want is an improved M2 with enough clarity in the mids and highs that I didn't get with the M2s plus better bass response which is why I was looking at the golds and M7s.. Do those fit that? Also I need at least good isolation as my job has a lot of noise around me.. I also wanted to try and find something I could purchase off of amazon so just in case I don't like it I know I can trust in their return policy.. But if the FX500 are what I'm describing I'll look into those over the others.. Sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate the time it takes to answer them

Buying on amazon severely limits your choices. MTPG is closer to the M2 than the MG7 in my opinion. It's actually not too bassy at all - less so than the FX500 or the regular Turbines and Miles Davis Tributes. Don't expect GR07-like clarity out of it but if it's returnable, it's what I would try.

Quote:

They sound nothing alike. The T15 is mostly flat, with maybe 1-2dB of lift in the sub-bass region. The IE8 has a large mid-bass lift. I don't think you will like the T15 if you expect enhanced bass in the conventional sense. There are tons of options that fall between the heavy bass emphasis of the IE8 and the flat response of the T15 - VSonic GR07 and JVC FXT90, for example. Reading your post I really don't think any bass below that of the FTX90 will satisfy you.

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #5,308 of 16,931

Quote:
      Either the MG7 or the FX500. The MTPG is too excessive on bass. The MTPC could be a good candidate.

MTPC does sound intriguing I think. But they look a little too "bling-bling" to me. I'll have to think about the Atrio and the JVC.

Quote:
They sound nothing alike. The T15 is mostly flat, with maybe 1-2dB of lift in the sub-bass region. The IE8 has a large mid-bass lift. I don't think you will like the T15 if you expect enhanced bass in the conventional sense. There are tons of options that fall between the heavy bass emphasis of the IE8 and the flat response of the T15 - VSonic GR07 and JVC FXT90, for example. Reading your post I really don't think any bass below that of the FTX90 will satisfy you.

I read upon the differences, and I know about them. Why I chose to compare them was that I was first kind of interested in the ACS T15, thinking I want clarity, details and a flat sound with a good speed. Then I came to think of the cheaper price of IE80 in Sweden ($270), and thought that it might give me the most bang for the buck, despite it being bass heavy (which has been my tastes, there's no hiding that).

Thus, the comparison of them was due to the price being pretty equal (and the Senns being actually at a good pricepoint - maybe too good to *not* bite).

Thing is, that I would like something to complement my other gear which for the moment pretty much are Denon D2000 and Pro 900 (both bass heavy cans). That's where I think the ACS T15 could fit in.

However, there's always that risk that it might be too bass shy for my needs. The IE80 on the other hand would probably be somewhere along my bigger cans in terms of bass - however, then it would feel like listening to the same stuff with different, yet portable, gear.

Choices:
A) Trying something new in having an analytical IEM.. riskiest path
B) Follow the same recipe that I've always done.. safest path

Oh well, no one is forcing me to choose right now. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I'll have to think this through and make an educated decision.

Just a question: If I did choose the IE80 path (assuming they're almost the same as IE8), would there be enough clarity, good treble, details and "energy" from it to make it a substantial upgrade from my Klipsch S4?

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #5,309 of 16,931

Quote:

Just a question: If I did choose the IE80 path (assuming they're almost the same as IE8), would there be enough clarity, good treble, details and "energy" from it to make it a substantial upgrade from my Klipsch S4?

The IE8 is clearer, smoother, and more detailed than the S4 but the S4 is quite v-shaped in sound signature so don't expect the IE8 to be more energetic in the conventional sense. If you want pumped-up treble you're better off with a JVC FX700/FX500.

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #5,310 of 16,931
Does anyone have any recommendation between the GR07s and the Ety hf3s? I'm replacing a pair of SE210s that died on one side and I can't decide 
confused.gif

The isolation and volume/mic on the hf3 are making me hesitate from just getting the GR07s (plus the hf3s are cheaper). I'll be using them a decent amount on planes/cars/trains and I'm not sure how good a job the GR07s will do in that regard. My Shures provided more than enough isolation, but I've only ever owned E2Cs and SE210s, so I don't have much to compare to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back