Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #4,006 of 16,931

Quote:
The only triple driver I've liked in my life was the UERM.  Oddly the ES5 beats it in coherence for me, go figure.  Against both of those, the W4, 530, SM3, DDM pale by comparison for coherence and naturalness IMO.

Now it might be very personal since recently I've heard people say they use their mental powers to change the SS and imaging of their phones so caveat everything I said. 

Say what??
confused.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #4,008 of 16,931

Quote:
The only triple driver I've liked in my life was the UERM.  Oddly the ES5 beats it in coherence for me, go figure.  Against both of those, the W4, 530, SM3, DDM pale by comparison for coherence and naturalness IMO.

Now it might be very personal since recently I've heard people say they use their mental powers to change the SS and imaging of their phones so caveat everything I said. 

I feel the same way about the 1964-T but don't have the UERM....yet..well maybe one day when I save up some more. The UM custom I have beats it however so haven't used the 1964-T in a while except to compare things.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #4,009 of 16,931

Quote:
Well, I guess Westone couldn't do it right with their ES3X then because they didn't sound perfectly coherent to me. I know it's just one custom though and I need to try more to really get a good idea of customs sound. But do customs really sound all that different from universals?

Quote:

Are these two posts somehow related?

I haven't heard the ES3X and not all my customs can do what the top few can, but yes, some have amazing coherence along with everything else.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #4,011 of 16,931
http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-b-c

coherent 1) Pertaining to a multi-way loudspeaker's sound: seamless from top to bottom; showing no audible evidence of a crossover or of different driver colorations in different frequency ranges. 2) Pertaining to the soundstage: Phantom imaging that reproduces within the stereo stage the original lateral positions of the performers. See "bunching," "hole-in-the-middle."

just ftr this is pretty low on my list, like.. I read one user say the JH13's were "a waste of money and, clearly the sound was coming from 3 seperate directions" I mean what does that even mean...

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #4,012 of 16,931

Quote:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-b-c

coherent 1) Pertaining to a multi-way loudspeaker's sound: seamless from top to bottom; showing no audible evidence of a crossover or of different driver colorations in different frequency ranges. 2) Pertaining to the soundstage: Phantom imaging that reproduces within the stereo stage the original lateral positions of the performers. See "bunching," "hole-in-the-middle."

just ftr this is pretty low on my list, like.. I read one user say the JH13's were "a waste of money and, clearly the sound was coming from 3 seperate directions" I mean what does that even mean...

Thanks for the definition, kiteki. TBH i thought i somewhat understood what coherent meant but now i'm totally confused. What exactly is coherence? isnt being able to tell that the sound is coming from separate, different directions a good thing?
confused.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #4,014 of 16,931
Two comments.

1. I was "joking" about the RE272 keeping up with $1000 high-end custom IEM's, someone said so on a Chinese forum, so I joked it was true, but like joker said, it's a vague statement and may as well be true.

2. I've listened to the RE272 now, if I say anything this thread will get spin off into more terminology discussion so my impressions are over here and you can spin off that thread instead but please no more talk about burn-in or seagulls.

Edit: Sorry about my UE700 raving btw, I still rank it higher than the CK10 in the mids though, but it's much weaker in the bass and in imaging, in the highs I'm unsure.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #4,015 of 16,931
So it seems that the RE272 isn't quite an improved RE252 isn't it?
frown.gif

I was hoping for the RE272 to retain the same flat and balanced FR as the 252... oh well...

Guys, give me some input here please:

How's the tonal balance of the RE272 compared to the RE0/ZERO?
Is it's FR as flat as the RE0?
Does the RE272 have a peaked FR from the upper mids to the treble?
Does the RE272 treble extend as high as that of the RE0?
Is the bass quantity comparable to the RE0/ZERO or does the RE272 have less?

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #4,016 of 16,931

Quote:
1. So it seems that the RE272 isn't quite an improved RE252 isn't it?
frown.gif

I was hoping for the RE272 to retain the same 7. flat and balanced FR as the 252... oh well...

Guys, give me some input here please:

2. How's the tonal balance of the RE272 compared to the RE0/ZERO?
3. Is it's FR as flat as the RE0?
4. Does the RE272 have a peaked FR from the upper mids to the treble?
5. Does the RE272 treble extend as high as that of the RE0?
6. Is the bass quantity comparable to the RE0/ZERO or does the RE272 have less?

Thanks!

1. Take the RE252, improve soundspace, imaging, overtones, add some air, mess around with the FR, improve note definition ~

2. -
3. -
4. No, it's not that simple.
5. RE272 is the "open sky" version of RE0. // I haven't done tone testing at 17kHz if that's what you mean, Hifiman say 15Hz - 22kHz if you'd like to go by that.
6. RE272 has more bass than RE0.

7. It doesn't retain the balance of RE252, if that's really what you're after :wink:... it seems like you want a flat FR and balanced IEM, well... the RE272 isn't quite a studio monitor, I think it's some kind of monitor... but not a studio one :wink: I think you should research the Etymotic ER-4B, Ultimate Ears UE700 and Vsonic GR07.

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #4,017 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

Umm, ok. First of all, RE272 has very little in common with UM3X in sound. RE272 is way brighter, has less midrange and low end emphasis than the UM3X. Second of all, the detail of RE272 is at least in the ballpark with IEMs like FX700 and Westone 4. I compared the RE272 to the latter two and I really couldn't feel like RE272 lacks detail by comparison. Third of all, the soundstage on the RE272 is more open than that of even the FX700 and W4 to my ears and imaging is nice and solid. The soundstage is not as good as with my DT880, but for an IEM, it's about the best I've heard. Fourth of all, the dynamics on RE272 are not lacking in any way to my ears compared directly to FX700 and Westone 4 and only lack a tiny little bit perhaps vs. the DT880, but DT880 is a dynamic range monster. Lastly, RE272 doesn't sound dull - it sounds extremely clean and very well defined from top to bottom and with excellent presence in the upper highs. It's not ER4 defined, but better defined than my FX700 for example.

Just my 2 cents of course, but I had to write this because I just totally disagree with everything you wrote there about the RE272. Perhaps you just didn't get a good fit with them? Or maybe they were broken or something.

Erm. Ok. First of all I think you misunderstood when I said it reminded me of the UM3x in the sense that I meant the UM3x is also overrated in my opinion. Nothing to do with sound signature. I guess I could've have phrased my statement more clearly but my mistake. Second of all, I felt the RE272 lacked detail in bass and top treble region simply because it couldn't produce enough energy in those areas but again just my opinion. I think if I have to listen hard and concentrate to hear the details, then the IEM is not doing a good enough job (personal opinion). Third of all, the soundstage is respectable for an IEM but nowhere as close to an eye opener like the EX1000 or 1601SB, so I tend to disagree when a reviewer gets all too enthusiastic about it. It's not airy in a natural way. I can hear some distance but the only word I can think to describe is that it's unnatural. Fourth of all, to my ears their dynamics are lacking which in turn sounds dull but just my opinion.

Yes I have come to terms that I might have received a faulty unit. The only reasonable explanation I think. But I'd rather not discuss more about the RE272. I never feel good about criticising any IEM openly in a public forum, not especially when Head Direct had been so kind to send me a pair. I knew a comment like mine will draw some stick which is why I tend to keep quiet in this enthusiastic forum. Ta. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #4,018 of 16,931
Quote:
7. It doesn't retain the balance of RE252, if that's really what you're after :wink:... it seems like you want a flat FR and balanced IEM, well... the RE272 isn't quite a studio monitor, I think it's some kind of monitor... but not a studio one :wink: I think you should research the Etymotic ER-4B, Ultimate Ears UE700 and Vsonic GR07.

I think RE0 is also very neutral. I think it's more neutral than RE272 and RE252, but the latter two may sound more natural to many listeners due to better technicalities and more natural frequency responses. RE0 has a pretty flat FR, but flat does not necessarily equal natural as we all know.

I think RE0 is also more neutral than UE700 and ER4.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #4,019 of 16,931

Firstly, he already has the RE0.

Secondly, I just answered his questions and I'm just trying to help out.

Neutral wasn't even a requirement but w/e...

"neutral Free from coloration."
"balance 1) The subjective relationship between the relative loudness of the upper and lower halves of the audio spectrum; "tonal balance." 2) The relative loudness of the instruments in a performing group."

Quote:

I think RE0 is also very neutral. I think it's more neutral than RE272 and RE252, [...]

Quote:
 (older post)
I personally prefer RE0 over RE252 because RE0 has a warmer, more pleasant tone, while RE252 sounds too clinical too me.

The RE0 is not neutral, because it has warmth, the RE0 is not balanced, because it doesn't have enough bass.

If it really was a perfect IEM, and better than everything you've ever owned or heard, I don't think Hifiman wouldn't have received hundreds of returned RE0's and then made the RE-Zero to allieviate that.

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #4,020 of 16,931
hey guys ... i currently own a sound magic pl30 and they sound really great ( atleast for me ).. the only problem i have with the pl30s are that their bass is very low :frowning2: .... pl11 is known for good bass... so can anyone tell me how are the pl11 ( am planning 2 get one in a day or two )
high,mids,trebel,bass ? and build quality :)
thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back