Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #2,896 of 16,931

Quote:
Can't cover everything. I did risk Philips a number of times in my portable headphone thread and their stuff is really hit or miss. No consistent signature and really no way to know what's good and what isn't ahead of time. 

That's why it's more vital to have someone miss the bad ones, so that I don't have to hit them. Or worse, gift them to a friend as a cheap gift. Come on, seems like you enjoy reviewing the junk too.
etysmile.gif

May 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #2,899 of 16,931

Quote:
-puts mine on straight down to check-

No, it's not impossible, but it is rather awkward.  Works quite a bit better if you flip channels but you'd need a channel-switching adapter.

...in fact, they're rather comfortable this way. :p  They should have added a channel-swapper in for good measure.  Oh well, microphonics are rather awful this way though.

May 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #2,900 of 16,931

I'm currently using the Denon C551, which I am currently very happy with, and may fit in with your criteria.
The Denon C560 is this year's generation version of that.

Quote:

Hi Guys,

I am completely new to this and REALLY REALLY need some help deciding which IEM  to buy. Source would be clip+, pc audigy card. Unamped.

Preference: 

1)Above average bass (Iam not a hardcode bass head, but I prefer a little more bass than usual :wink: )
2)Wide sound stage and details in music and mids to be on the warmer side. Not very particular about highs, but they should not be straining and should be there.
3)comfort. Note that I have a very small ear canal.
4)Build quality/isolation/microphonics.

One important thing. I want to buy either from the sub 100$ series or invest on a really good 250$ ones. What I saw was that from the first page is that the xcape scores a 8.x score on the SQ and the Westone2 scores 9.x. Does it mean that for a 180$ penalty there is only a 10% increase in performance?

If yes then should I stick with the sub 100$ series. Are the 250$ ones really worth it? If not, i would like to save that 180 bux for something more useful.

After 3 weeks of painstaking reading I have short listed the following(based on the reviews here and amazon) but really confused which one to buy. 

Sub 100$ Series:

1)Sunrise xcape Impressive edition
2)silver bullet
3)eterna 
4)Ne700x 
5)Hippo VB 

OR

250$ series.
1)UM2 - bass compared to NE-700x eterna?
2)Monster turbine copper.

I have exluded the following out as I read that they have low bass/ not enough for my taste.
1)DBA-02
2)Ck10

I dont stay in US and I dont have the luxary of trying them out at a shop or Sending back if I don't like them. It will be a one shot purchase and use.
Please feel free to refer some other that i may have missed. I cant go beyond 250$ though.

GUYS, I really really need some assistance. All i have is this forum to blindly make a choice and live with what I buy in one shot.

Thanks a Lot

May 9, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2,902 of 16,931
Yes, but then your channels are swapped without an adapter which makes the music your listening to different than what they're meant to sound like. 

May 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2,904 of 16,931
I meant that when you use the left IEM for the right ear and vise-versa, simple as that. DaBomb likes it that way (wearing them straight down) and thus a channel switching adapter will help because it will place the channels to the corresponding ears. 

May 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,905 of 16,931
What?

Wearing them down means you have to use the right bud (designed for over-ear wear) on the left side, which means what normally comes out in the right channel now comes out in the left channel. If you're bothered by this (I'm not, really, but a lot of people are) you can use a channel swapper to correct this.

May 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2,908 of 16,931
Imaging is affected when the channels are switched. If you have an option to swap the channels that also helps if it bothers you.

May 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2,909 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey joker, 

I'm sure you are probably already planning to do this, but when you review the HF3 can you make sure to compare it to the MC5 that you reviewed? I'm curious to see how Etymotic scales.

Many thanks,

Chris Langley.

To be honest the MC5 and HF3 reviews were both written at the same time back in December. I'm sure some amount of parallels between the two is inevitable but I don't remember how comparative the review is.

Quote:
Um Miracle wheeeeeeeeeere aaaaaaaaaaaare youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu =)

Can't listen to the miracle and then go back to other gear and review it accurately. Tried it with the Shure SE535 at first and it may as well have been a Meelec M9. That means that I either have to dedicate a couple of weeks to using only the miracle or finish everything else before I switch to it permanently.

Quote:
Thanks for the review joker. From your review, the GR-07 seems too good to be true. I wonder if you could really nitpick one thing about its sound, what would it be? This is compared to the competitions in the 9.4-9.5 SQ rating category.

The lower treble peakiness. It improves a lot but never really goes away completely, at least not in the ~250 hrs I put on my GR07. Most of the other issues with it will be preference-related. I've already lent my pair out and, interestingly, don't feel a very strong urge to go back to it. While very capable technically, it's just not a sound that grabs you. For monitoring applications, that's a good thing. As a consumer listening device, could go either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back