Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #2,866 of 16,931

Quote:
S151P's have thumping bass? Hmm, I found the CC51P's to have very little bass. Different sound for different models I guess then.

Yes, the SP51 is VERY Bass-Heavy. 
blink.gif

I did several test, so my SP51 can go down to 20 Hz and it worked. It goes that low when needed. The bass impact is now like a bowling ball hitting the floor with the Enhanced and Extreme Bass Ports, especially with the Comply T-400. Although the texture may need some work. Otherwise, bassheads can't ignore these IEMs. 

May 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #2,868 of 16,931

Quote:
the Kozee looks good. i know personal preferences vary as far as tips go - i've only really tried plastic before - but is it rare for people to have an issue with custom silicons as far as comfort goes? 

If the impressions for the molds are good, customs really can't be uncomfortable. The only experience I have with silicone is the ACS custom tips on my Etymotics and those pretty much disappear. Kozee phones come with a 90-day fit guarantee.

Quote:
If your CC51s had very little bass then either you had a fit problem or something wrong with your model. The CC51 is one of the bassier (especially midbass) earphones I've heard, IMO more bass than the Turbine line. They had a somewhat large hump in the midbass which makes basss seem more apparent.

Don't know about bassier than the Turbine line but the CC51 definitely has more than enough bass for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Buy a few sets and send them to Joker then.

biggrin.gif

Quote:
At first I thought I was addicted to Head-fi.

Now I realize it's just Joker.

Not sure if I should be scared of flattered... or both

Quote:
@Joker

Have you noticed any sibilance/distortion regarding the ATH-CK10?

Not unless it's in the recording. I don't think I've ever heard significant distortion out of a TWFK-based earphone.

May 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2,870 of 16,931

Quote:
yeah, but my version of crazy is a little less benign, i suppose. sorry i didn't notice that there was an MC3 and hf5, i was just going based on what an amazon search for etymotic pulled up.

ugh, the neighbour's dog is driving me insane. my room is on the second story of our house and situated right by their backyard, so the sound travels directly upwards.

would most isolating IEMs be enough to drown out a dog barking? im still not crazy about the ety's. i've been looking at the Phiaton like joker suggested, but thought I might wanna spend a little less than $150 so i can get some nice tips.

would westone 1's + foam tips do the job? 

btw the number for the ety denotes if it has a mic or phone controls, have look on etys website.  if you want huge isolation id take the hf3 or hf5 (depends if you need the controls)  nothing isolates quite like the hf and ER series

May 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2,873 of 16,931

Quote:
If your CC51s had very little bass then either you had a fit problem or something wrong with your model. The CC51 is one of the bassier (especially midbass) earphones I've heard, IMO more bass than the Turbine line. They had a somewhat large hump in the midbass which makes basss seem more apparent.

Lol, I think you had a fit problem w/ your Turbines.  
tongue_smile.gif

May 8, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #2,874 of 16,931

Quote:
Lol, I think you had a fit problem w/ your Turbines.  
tongue_smile.gif

Could be... the Turbines are huge and my ears are not. But the Turbines have more subbass than midbass, whereas the CC51 had a somewhat-bloated midbass section.

May 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #2,875 of 16,931
I had perfect fitment with the CC51P's. Very little bass response, although pretty detailed. Maybe you had a fitment issue? :wink:

May 8, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #2,876 of 16,931

Quote:
btw the number for the ety denotes if it has a mic or phone controls, have look on etys website.  if you want huge isolation id take the hf3 or hf5 (depends if you need the controls)  nothing isolates quite like the hf and ER series

There's also an HF2 for those of us with non-apple smartdevices.

Quote:
I had perfect fitment with the CC51P's. Very little bass response, although pretty detailed. Maybe you had a fitment issue? :wink:

You need to check your balance benchmark. There's a huge difference between "very little bass response" and "not enough bass for me".

May 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,877 of 16,931

Hi Guys,

I am completely new to this and REALLY REALLY need some help deciding which IEM  to buy. Source would be clip+, pc audigy card. Unamped.

Preference: 

1)Above average bass (Iam not a hardcode bass head, but I prefer a little more bass than usual :wink: )
2)Wide sound stage and details in music and mids to be on the warmer side. Not very particular about highs, but they should not be straining and should be there.
3)comfort. Note that I have a very small ear canal.
4)Build quality/isolation/microphonics.

One important thing. I want to buy either from the sub 100$ series or invest on a really good 250$ ones. What I saw was that from the first page is that the xcape scores a 8.x score on the SQ and the Westone2 scores 9.x. Does it mean that for a 180$ penalty there is only a 10% increase in performance?

If yes then should I stick with the sub 100$ series. Are the 250$ ones really worth it? If not, i would like to save that 180 bux for something more useful.

After 3 weeks of painstaking reading I have short listed the following(based on the reviews here and amazon) but really confused which one to buy. 

Sub 100$ Series:

1)Sunrise xcape Impressive edition
2)silver bullet
3)eterna 
4)Ne700x 
5)Hippo VB 

OR

250$ series.
1)UM2 - bass compared to NE-700x eterna?
2)Monster turbine copper.

I have exluded the following out as I read that they have low bass/ not enough for my taste.
1)DBA-02
2)Ck10

I dont stay in US and I dont have the luxary of trying them out at a shop or Sending back if I don't like them. It will be a one shot purchase and use.
Please feel free to refer some other that i may have missed. I cant go beyond 250$ though.

GUYS, I really really need some assistance. All i have is this forum to blindly make a choice and live with what I buy in one shot.

Thanks a Lot

May 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #2,878 of 16,931
Quote:

"HF5 + Shure Olive Tips. Sounds great and still comes out to <$150, though if you don't want deep insertion the Phiatons may still be a better choice. All Etys isolate a lot but the HF5 can isolate a bit more than the MC5 with a deep seal and there's no reason to pick the ER6i (or MC5 for that matter) over the HF5 for sound quality."

The man ( speaks the truth. As an Ety fanboy, I approve of this message. And this combo should cost you $120. HF2/HF/HF5 are currently all ~$105 from Amazon(not all colors), and Shure Olives are $15 from Sweetwater, both with free shipping. In my everyday use, I use olives, and when I need the absolute maximum isolation, i switch to the triple flanges.

Quote:

Hi Guys,

I am completely new to this and REALLY REALLY need some help deciding which IEM  to buy. Source would be clip+, pc audigy card. Unamped.

Preference: 

1)Above average bass (Iam not a hardcode bass head, but I prefer a little more bass than usual :wink: )
2)Wide sound stage and details in music and mids to be on the warmer side. Not very particular about highs, but they should not be straining and should be there.
3)comfort. Note that I have a very small ear canal.
4)Build quality/isolation/microphonics.

I'm going to give a +1 for the MTPC @ $220 from Amazon. It pretty much hits all your requirements. I got these, and decided to stop looking for my version of "fun" IEMS after living with them for a few weeks. I bought mine refurbished for $100, but if they break out of warranty, I think I'll be getting a new pair. I'm sure I could find something more optimal if I spent more time looking and expand my budget, but I'm starting to get tired of playing the head-fi game. Head-fi is Pokemon. Gotta Catch Em All.

1) I'm a bass hater (especially too much midbass)but I occasionally listen to rap/hiphop (i.e. dead prez)... so these are about the maximum amount of bass I can tolerate. I really like subass > midbass on these.

2) I wouldn't call it wide, but nothing is particularly forward to my ears (possibly the bass? I mean you can't ignore it), so it's not fatiguing. Then again I'm not particularly treble sensitive so YMMV. They're warmer then my Etys in the mids (which is exactly what I wanted) but give 90% the detail retreival and maybe 93% If I strain to hear it. The detail is there, it's just the smooth nature of the sound kind of hides it a bit.

3) I find these remarkably comfortable cable down with small sized Sony Hybrid tips. 4) Build quality should be excellent if you're buying new, they've made a few design improvements. Cable down with the shirt clip I don't get microphonics, but I only use these at home, seated. Isolation is on par with most dynamic IEM. Not enough for public transit (that's Ety territory) but good enough for a Starbucks.

May 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #2,879 of 16,931

Quote:

There's also an HF2 for those of us with non-apple smartdevices.

You need to check your balance benchmark. There's a huge difference between "very little bass response" and "not enough bass for me".

Well, I haven't listened to them in a few months. Let me go back to them again.

May 8, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #2,880 of 16,931
Now I feel like a complete idiot. Just went back and listened to my CC51P's. There's a lot more bass than I originally thought. I think I am going to rewrite my review (then again, I didn't know a lot about Hi-Fi and how to judge music properly at the time). And my balance benchmark is overall balance. I like a good amount of bass that does not overpower everything else. Even though the CC51P's still have a pretty big bass response, there highs (midrange a little recessed) are pretty crisp and don't roll off to easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back