Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #271 of 16,931
I bought the SoundMagic Pl-50 based on this thread, and they finally arrived a week ago.  Just wanted to say thank you for such an informative review, and that I'm absolutely loving my PL-50s.  These things are insanely comfortable, and I really enjoy the sound signature.  In fact I like them so much that I've been walking my dog more often just because I want to spend more time listening to them :)

May 13, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #272 of 16,931
Cool, glad the thread was useful. I think your dog should be the one thanking me though 
wink.gif

May 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #273 of 16,931
Just curious @joker and anyone else who owns a metrofi 220.

I find that the silicon tips fall of way too easily.  In fact I even lost a pair at the gym.  To remedy that, I use comply t-400 foam tips.  I have read that complys take out some sparkle.  I do feel that my the sound sig is a little too warm and I am thinking that the cause is the foam tips.  Do you have any recommendations for me, other than upgrading to a new pair of phones?  For a little more info on fit, i find that the large stock silicon work best when worn "earbud" style, but medium silicon and comply work best over the ear.  It is odd, I know.

May 15, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #274 of 16,931
Hey joker,

Sorry if you've already been asked about this before, but I wanted to hear what you think about the RE0 vs. the ER4S when both are amped with the mini3. I read what you said in your reviews, but would you mind going more in-depth with it? What would you rate each when amped with the mini3? How much faster is the ER4S?

I'm tempted to get the ER4S, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it would be over the RE0. The only real justifications I have for buying them now are for something with better build quality and something faster for heavy metal.

May 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #275 of 16,931
Posted by xtasi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just curious @joker and anyone else who owns a metrofi 220.

I find that the silicon tips fall of way too easily.  In fact I even lost a pair at the gym.  To remedy that, I use comply t-400 foam tips.  I have read that complys take out some sparkle.  I do feel that my the sound sig is a little too warm and I am thinking that the cause is the foam tips.  Do you have any recommendations for me, other than upgrading to a new pair of phones?  For a little more info on fit, i find that the large stock silicon work best when worn "earbud" style, but medium silicon and comply work best over the ear.  It is odd, I know.

I didn't have that problem with the UE220 - that little sharp notch on the nozzle does a good job of hanging on to the stock tips. Complys do have a tendency to cut out sparkle but the severity is earphone-dependent and the UE220 is warm to begin with; I really doubt different tips would make them satisfactory. If you still want to try silicone tips I'd recommend the Sony Hybrids - they should have no problem staying put on the UE nozzle.

Quote:
Sorry if you've already been asked about this before, but I wanted to hear what you think about the RE0 vs. the ER4S when both are amped with the mini3. I read what you said in your reviews, but would you mind going more in-depth with it? What would you rate each when amped with the mini3? How much faster is the ER4S?

I'm tempted to get the ER4S, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it would be over the RE0. The only real justifications I have for buying them now are for something with better build quality and something faster for heavy metal.

My review of the ER4S is using the mini3; they are a bit better than the RE0 but hardly an 'upgrade'. I like the RE0 treble a little better while the ER4S wins out in the mids (by a bit) and at the low end (by a margin). And yes, the Etys are faster. What else would you want improved? Really if you want an upgrade from the RE0 that's faster and better-built, why not look at the CK10? No need for an amp and the build quality is about as good as it gets.

May 15, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #276 of 16,931

Quote:
My review of the ER4S is using the mini3; they are a bit better than the RE0 but hardly an 'upgrade'. I like the RE0 treble a little better while the ER4S wins out in the mids (by a bit) and at the low end (by a margin). And yes, the Etys are faster. What else would you want improved? Really if you want an upgrade from the RE0 that's faster and better-built, why not look at the CK10? No need for an amp and the build quality is about as good as it gets.

I'd like more speed, more detail (if possible), somewhat better durability, and replaceable cables. All the reviews of the CK-10s sound great, but I'd just feel more comfortable with replaceable cables on something that expensive (expensive for me, anyway). I don't know, I guess I just really want the ER4S for some reason. After buying the mini3, I'd actually rather use an amp, and it seems like the ER4S would help me get more money's worth out of the amp. Portability is much less of a concern now since I'm out of school, and I like being able to "dial in" on the perfect volume.

As far as it being a true "upgrade," I figured I was already knee-deep in the law of diminishing returns. Right now, I'm too poor for customs (and probably will be for a while), but I want something new. Maybe by the time I'll have enough money set aside for customs, JH Audio will have their new 15 driver customs out...

Anyway, thanks for the help joker. The only real way I'll figure out what I like is to try it out, but threads like this help make these decisions easier. I'll probably just go with the etys.

May 15, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #277 of 16,931
You should keep in mind that replaceable cables does not always mean better quality. Replaceable cables does also mean one more connection to fail (yes I'm looking at UE universals). I typically hear ER4 lasting a long time so their cables does not seem to be fragile like the UE ones.

However I will say this about the CK10. They are the second best quality cable I have experienced and the best cable I own. I think it will take some serious effort to have the cables fail on you. However if you are uncomfortable with that go ahead with the ER4. They do have the replaceable cables for you and hopefully they are what you are looking for.

May 16, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #278 of 16,931

Quote:
You should keep in mind that replaceable cables does not always mean better quality. Replaceable cables does also mean one more connection to fail (yes I'm looking at UE universals). I typically hear ER4 lasting a long time so their cables does not seem to be fragile like the UE ones.

However I will say this about the CK10. They are the second best quality cable I have experienced and the best cable I own. I think it will take some serious effort to have the cables fail on you. However if you are uncomfortable with that go ahead with the ER4. They do have the replaceable cables for you and hopefully they are what you are looking for.

I see what you're saying, and I'm probably just being paranoid about the cables. I'd just rather have the option, especially if I'm going to spend that much money. With my gear, I'm not rough with it, but stuff does happen.

May 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #279 of 16,931
hi!

I have now the Re0 and koss portapro for when I'm on the move, but there is this bargain at 25 dollars for metro 220, do you think that metrofi can complement my re0 when I need extra bass? at this price does it justify for who has the re0?

May 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #280 of 16,931
Quote:

I have now the Re0 and koss portapro for when I'm on the move, but there is this bargain at 25 dollars for metro 220, do you think that metrofi can complement my re0 when I need extra bass? at this price does it justify for who has the re0?

The 220 will have the bass you are looking for but compared to the RE0 it'll leave you wanting more in nearly every other area. If you just want more bass they'll do fine but don't expect refinement out of them.

May 17, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #283 of 16,931
Yes! How dare you forget another IEM!? With you putting all this work and effort into something that benefits us all. Without getting paid!

Seriously, how dare you? You're fired.

sigh

:) 

May 17, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #284 of 16,931
please note that it's been quite a while since the R02 review was out. I am only curious to know about its score, and waited in great anticipation.

Also, I didn't ask the question in THAT tone either.  It was a "i wonder why" kind of tone.

May 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #285 of 16,931
Quote:
Yes! How dare you forget another IEM!? With you putting all this work and effort into something that benefits us all. Without getting paid!

Seriously, how dare you? You're fired.

sigh

:) 

Hehe 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
please note that it's been quite a while since the R02 review was out. I am only curious to know about its score, and waited in great anticipation.

Also, I didn't ask the question in THAT tone either.  It was a "i wonder why" kind of tone.

It's no problem. The R02 is not added because I have been waiting for certain forum functionality to be restored, e.g. title editing. There are a number of finiished reviews that need publishing but I would really like to be able to edit the title of the thread to reflect changes. A support ticket has supposedly been submitted but there's no ETA as the feature is probably not a big deal for most HFers. If the feature is not restored I'll publish the R02 review anyway by mid-week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back