Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #2,566 of 16,931

Quote:

The A151 and PL50 actually use the same driver but the A151 is tuned differently and I think has a more airy presentation and more bottom-end presence. There was an A151 review posted a few days ago (by DervishD I think) that compared the two. The PL50 is still hard to beat at its price and brand-name products that perform at the PL50/A151 level (i.e. Westone 1) will cost you more.

ok thanks.
the thing is that the pl50 are free-shipping , and the a151 are $20 + for shipping (to here),
so it would be around $100 for the a151. so should i consider something else for $100 with lower shipping? or just try to get a lower shipping for the meelec? (i;ve read they have low low microphonics so maybe they are worth)

forgot to ask! does anyone has some pictures for comparig the size of pl50 and a151? i've seen that the pl50 are really small (which is a good point for me)

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #2,567 of 16,931

Quote:
is there a sonic difference between wood and metal casing? also, do you think the wood design such as those in xears and thinksounds would last  in the long term? even tho they look ok, for me the wood looks kinda flimsy in most of the pictures.

To know for sure I would need to compare two sets of earphones/headphones that are 100% identical except for housing material. That means same cable, same drivers, same hardware, same venting, and same chamber size, but one in wood and one in metal. Since such a pair, to the best of my knowledge, does not exist, I really can't say for sure. However, most manufacturers certainly try to tune their wooden models a certain way, and it shows.
As for durability, as long as the wood is well-finished and sealed correctly, I don't expect any issues. The Xears TD-III actually feels more solid to me than its metal TD100 cousin. 

Quote:
Well I finally got my nuforce 700, plugged them into my i9 and.. I gots bass!
bigsmile_face.gif
  But seriously, between the HT setup and the HFI780 at the computer, this portable setup will fit in much better than I had ever hoped for.  Thanks for this thread!

However I have to say, as a first time IEM user, sticking stuff deep into my ears like that feels really wrong, I only do it cause the sound that comes out is pretty great.

Glad you like the NE700s. Assuming you've picked the right tip size, you'll get used to the fit after a while. I used to hate Ety triple-flanges because they felt intrusive but now I can wear my HF3s deep enough to tickle my brain like nobody's business.

Quote:
Joker, just for curiosity: the HJE900 is much better than ECCI PR401?

Because same have the same signature (i guess), i'm wondering how they compare!

Yes, they share a sound signature. I do think the HJE900 is a little better but it costs a lot more now. The most noticeable difference would be in aggressiveness - the HJE900 is quite forward and explosive. Listening to it can be like trying to hang on to a bucking bull. The PR401 is a but more relaxed and gentle. I also think the HJE900 has slightly better timbre and speed, not that the PR401 is slow. Orange1 described the differences in her own (whimsical) way a while back:

Quote:
HJE900 vs. ECCI 401
 ​
 ​
Joker asked if I could give my impressions of the two.  I own the CZ's (HJE900).  I describe them as FUN the FUNNEST, see that word as billboard sized.  They are heavily theatrical.  You get a deep bass it is subwoofer in impact.  It is spherical, it is like being at the circus and watching the instruments swing from the trapeze, lots of oohs and ahhhs. When you are listening to music it is an EVENT at times stunning.  So what happened why would I ever want another? 

I've changed, I'm more mellow myself, contemplative.  I felt that I was getting sensory overload and wanted something more relaxed.

Enter the 401's.  There is ample bass for me, but less accentuated as the CZ's These are still fun, but see it as tiny print, they are the last step until analytical territory.  They are everything that Joker has written of them (who am I to try to technically review against the golden ears of Joker).  What I can say is that they are very sweet, very pretty.  They delight so gently, coy in their presentation.  The more time I spend the more I can melt and relax, fall asleep even. 

Are the 401's better?  No way.  But they are better for me right now.  Suiting me perfectly.  Unfortunately the only upgrade says Joker is the JVC  FX700 over 300 bucks.

I'm going to sell my CZ's.

Quote:
So I just got my CC51 and the clip was already attached to the cable. Was that the case for those of you who've had this IEM?

I think all MEElec IEMs ship with the clip attached. If you're going to take it off, be very careful and maybe bend the little tab that holds the cable in place beforehand.

Quote:
ok thanks.
the thing is that the pl50 are free-shipping , and the a151 are $20 + for shipping (to here),
so it would be around $100 for the a151. so should i consider something else for $100 with lower shipping? or just try to get a lower shipping for the meelec? (i;ve read they have low low microphonics so maybe they are worth)

forgot to ask! does anyone has some pictures for comparig the size of pl50 and a151? i've seen that the pl50 are really small (which is a good point for me)

Sorry, don't have a PL50 with me to take photos. But yes, the soundmagics are quite a bit smaller. There are other good IEMs with free shipping in that price range - ECCI PR401, Brainwavz M3, etc etc.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #2,569 of 16,931
Thanks. I think I'll keep it attached for a while and see how I like it. This thing has far less microphonics than the Kilpsch S4. With the S4, if no music was playing and I moved around(wearing them cable-down, of course), all I could hear was "WAAAAAHHHH WOOOOOOSH", but not so much with the CC51. They're a bit bassier than I expected, but nothing I can't live with.

Quote:
I think all MEElec IEMs ship with the clip attached. If you're going to take it off, be very careful and maybe bend the little tab that holds the cable in place beforehand.  

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #2,570 of 16,931
Tips are huge on the CK10, DBA, Etys.  I'm with Joker on the CK10/DBA impressions.  CK10 treble was too much for me but had more bass extension.  Despit the roll off, DBA bass is more impactful and punchier with a bit more body to the overall sound signature for my ears.  Gives it a more rounded natural sound whereas the CK10 is a bit leaner but has better texture.  CK10 has more body than the ER4 though.  YMMV.

I agree with both of you, tips make a huge difference with the CK10.(haven't heard the DBAs yet but from what I've read is they are quite similar)

Even different triples make a big difference. For example, using the knock-off Monster triples with their larger diameter holes pass through too much treble for my liking. When using triples from Shure, Ety and earplugstore their smaller diameter opening cut back on treble response. Its a very noticeable difference.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2,571 of 16,931
Hey, great thread. It's been very helpful and informative. I have a quick question, if you have the time:
How would you compare the regular Turbine and the Turbine Pro Copper in:
-Balance
-Bass quantity
-Speed
-Detail
-Clarity
Also, are the Pro Coppers good IEMs for Rock and Metal music? I've been looking at IEMs in the sub-$250 price range, but I saw the $99 dollar deal for these refurbished and I'm very tempted. I have the regular Turbines and for the $40 I got them for, they're pretty good, but I think they can be too bassy.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,572 of 16,931
I also saw the $99 deal and jumped on the Coppers as soon as I could; I did some more reading and I became more interested in the Gold signature, but I had already made the order for the Coppers and couldn't make another one for the Gold. From the descriptions it sounds like the Copper is a more V-shaped IEM whereas the Gold is more like a refined Turbine. Does this sound about right?

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2,573 of 16,931

Quote:
I also saw the $99 deal and jumped on the Coppers as soon as I could; I did some more reading and I became more interested in the Gold signature, but I had already made the order for the Coppers and couldn't make another one for the Gold. From the descriptions it sounds like the Copper is a more V-shaped IEM whereas the Gold is more like a refined Turbine. Does this sound about right?

Sounds about right.  The Coppers are kinda V-shaped but think of the mids as being neutral rather than recessed like the HJE900 or TF10.  Of the Pro line they do the best with speed and detail but I think the mids are a bit dry whereas the treble and bass are more fluid in comparison.  One or two other phones have this same sort of signature.  Some might prefer their vocals less wet like this.  

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2,576 of 16,931

Quote:
checked!
what about over-ear design at that range? "in angle tube" (like the pl50 and a151, hope u get what i mean) , not straight if possible

Can't think of anything else I've reviewed in the <$100 category with over-the-ear fit, angled nozzles, and sound quality on par with or better than the PL50/A151. Seems like the price of Westone 1s has fallen to <$120 though.

Quote:
Hey, great thread. It's been very helpful and informative. I have a quick question, if you have the time:
How would you compare the regular Turbine and the Turbine Pro Copper in:
-Balance
-Bass quantity
-Speed
-Detail
-Clarity
Also, are the Pro Coppers good IEMs for Rock and Metal music? I've been looking at IEMs in the sub-$250 price range, but I saw the $99 dollar deal for these refurbished and I'm very tempted. I have the regular Turbines and for the $40 I got them for, they're pretty good, but I think they can be too bassy.

Technically, the Coppers are superior to the regular Turbines pretty much right down the list. Don't expect the same ridiculous bass quantity but the MTPC is by no means bass-light. I prefer a more analytical sound for rock and metal but there are many who love the Coppers for rock. Signature preferences trump genre-specific sound signature any day.

Quote:

That's about the way I hear them. I agree that the Coppers aren't recessed in the midrange but they do have slightly hyped up bass and treble nonetheless.

Quote:
will you be able to do the Klipsch X1, i heard they have geat value for money and have great bass too

X1 is just the UK name for the Klipsch S2. There's a review of them on the front page of this thread. Not bad if you need isolation on the cheap but definitely not anything special.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,577 of 16,931

Quote:

Can't think of anything else I've reviewed in the <$100 category with over-the-ear fit, angled nozzles, and sound quality on par with or better than the PL50/A151. Seems like the price of Westone 1s has fallen to <$120 though.

really thanks
double checked those ones. how is their bass as for a armature?
and they look even bigger  than the a151 , i'm i right?

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2,579 of 16,931

Quote:

Though I haven't heard it myself, the phonak pfe perfect bass may be another option. Ask clieos about it, as he has tried the pl50, a151, and the pfe perfect bass.

Quote:
when will you finish the IE7 and TF10 reviews :p i need em

I think joker will get them out eventually, but there's no rush. There has been alot written about both the TF10 and IE7 on headfi. Several years worth of posts, impressions and reviews. I think joker will get to them after he gets done with his backlog - though oddly enough it seems to be growing rather than getting smaller
ph34r.gif
. But personally, I'd much rather get info of lesser known or available earphones than ones that have been so exhaustively covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back