Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 4, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #226 of 16,931
Ah I was wondering when you were going to add that. Sounds like more of a good office earphone than anything.

May 4, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #228 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@joker: which earbud do you own or have experience with has the best build/sound/comfort quality? can be driven by any dap but preferably s:flo2

My long-term experience with earbuds is limited to the Yuin PK3/OK1, Sennheiser MX760/471, and HiSoundAudio PAA-1. All earbuds are equally comfortable for me (i.e. so-so) and I generally don't like the form factor. That said, the OK1 is leagues above the others in overall SQ, as well it should be. The S:Flo2 drives them fine. Other DAPs can't.

May 4, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #230 of 16,931
Just wanted to give my thanks for such an exhaustive, intelligent and helpful look into the world of IEM's. Your feedback was a big proponent in me making the switch from traditional headphones and earbuds to IEM's (at least for daily use). Do you publish these reviews anywhere outside of Head-Fi? This could easily be an entire magazine's worth of valuable info.

May 4, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #231 of 16,931
Interesting approach with the OK1 from an IEM standpoint. I never liked them in that format and most other users have not either. I do find potential, but the end sound is extremely sensitive to the setup as you chose the level of seal and how much "ambient" sound there is and how much you pipe right in. I even toyed with sealing up the outer ring of holes with tape to see how it changed. I think with a lot of trial and error, you can shape the sound to a particular liking, but I find the plain old bud configuration a lot better.

To answer 2rooi123, yes, it sounds quite a bit different. A lot of aspects change, not just freqency response but also presentation of space. The IEM form is...challenging, but the bud form is great.

As Joker said, they are bright and bass is a weakness, but they do EQ very well if willing. In IEM form, it varies depending on setup. Heck, you can make it even bass heavy.

And yes, the OK1 is hard to drive to the fullest. It does play fine off low power but with less fullness and a brighter tonality. An amp isn't a game changer but is a source of capability.

May 4, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #232 of 16,931
Quote:

is the sound different when it is in-ear rather than just sitting outside your ear? it has a small hole at the center right?i want something as comfy as bose ie but with better sound

The OK1 can be used as an IEM but I would not recommend doing so if comfort is a priority - it's really not very ergonomic, certainly nowhere near as ergonomic as the Bose IE. At its best the OK1 is as comfortable as a conventional straight-barrel IEM (think RE0) with an earbud hanging off the back.

Used as a conventional earbud the OK1s are as comfy as any other (iBud, PK3, etc) but isolation is nil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to give my thanks for such an exhaustive, intelligent and helpful look into the world of IEM's. Your feedback was a big proponent in me making the switch from traditional headphones and earbuds to IEM's (at least for daily use). Do you publish these reviews anywhere outside of Head-Fi? This could easily be an entire magazine's worth of valuable info.

Thanks, glad the thread was helpful. 90% of the reviews are unique to this thread. A handful are abridged versions of full reviews I have written for other sites and a half-dozen or so are carryovers from my older full reviews here at head-fi. I publish other stuff around the web on occasion, like the S:Flo2 review I posted yesterday over at mp4nation
tongue.gif

May 4, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #235 of 16,931
Quote:

how about blox tm5? looks like competition and the reviews are great. have you tried them?

Nope. My interest in earbuds pretty much stops with the 'convertible' OK1. My need for isolation was confirmed during my stint with the OK1 and some of the other less-isolating IEMs I've been using lately.

Quote:

@joker: fantastic review on s:flo2! now i cant wait for the 3rd batch to arrive!

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #236 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My long-term experience with earbuds is limited to the Yuin PK3/OK1, Sennheiser MX760/471, and HiSoundAudio PAA-1. All earbuds are equally comfortable for me (i.e. so-so) and I generally don't like the form factor. That said, the OK1 is leagues above the others in overall SQ, as well it should be. The S:Flo2 drives them fine. Other DAPs can't.

I heard AMP3 can drive it well too.

May 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #237 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard AMP3 can drive it well too.

Oh I've no doubt that it can. But I think you'll agree that the AMP3 is more the exception than the rule.

May 5, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #239 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For electronic music(mainly house and breakbeat) without a amp which one headphones are better...Nuforce NE6 or Maximo iM-590?

I generally find the Maximos to be the more capable earphone and electronica would be no exception. Neither one needs an amp. The Nuforces are a bit more isolating and slightly friendlier if you plan to wear them cable-down but other than that I prefer the iM-590 all-around.

May 6, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #240 of 16,931
Wow, I'm impressed that this thread is still in order. I had a nightmare last night about the switch disabling BBCode and me having to re-do all of the formatting 
frown.gif
. Also, lost my Supremus title. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back