Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #182 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345142 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread! I check it infrequently and enjoy reading your reviews.
Not to sound intrusive, but could you consider reviewing the Phiaton PS200? I personally enjoy my pair quite a bit, and they're reportedly similar to the CK10s. It's a shame that they were $130 on Amazon a week or so ago, seeing as the price has risen to $180 as of late.

Yes, I am quite curious about both Phiaton IEMs, especially now that I own their MS400 headphones. A lot of good gear around, though, so I'll have to decide what to focus on as soon as I'm done with my planned reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope you change your plan from review hippo shroom to hippo VB , many people prefer vb than shroom
biggrin.gif

Hah, the IEMs on that list are sets that I own already and are just waiting for my ears in my desk. If I could magically turn the Shroom into a VB I would, preferably after reviewing it as a Shroom
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You make the CK100 sound kind of like the SE530.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I knew what the SE530 sounded like to respond to that :p

I've never heard the SE530 either but from what I've read they really aren't very similar. Then again, the SE530 is a pretty polarizing earphone. I've seen some people call them complete garbage and others who prefer them over mid-range customs.

Quote:

on another note, any interest in the alpha brainwavz? i got them bundled up in a purchase recently and probably got no plans to use them or probably even open the plastic wrapping since I got no use for them and seeing as you got like a trillion budget iem's.

Sure, I can add them to the review and send them back, though not right now as I'm completely swamped. I guess mp4nation still sells them separately so some people may have interest in them. I know mark likes them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats again joker, your CK100 review is excellently written and spot-on!
beerchug.gif

Don't make the mistake of interpreting it this way. Apart from both being 3-driver BAs, these don't have much in common.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. I take it the SE530 may not exactly be up my alley, not being a treble-heavy IEM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the CK100 review! Also, Seyo-Shop has a lower price by $20-$30 compared to hovanfue.

Thanks, I'll lower the pricing a little. Keep forgetting that Seyo prices aren't catalogued by Froogle.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #184 of 16,931
maybe i should open the packaging then and see for myself for a couple days. I'm not that interested in them but hopefully I'll be surprised.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #185 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
re the alpha brainwavz ^

yes i do like them, easily the nicest "stock" earphone ive heard.

Hmm... my S:Flo2 came with some crummy conventional buds. You'd think they'd at least throw a set of the Alphas in with their priciest portable...

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #186 of 16,931
nice ck100 review. "best IEM i've ever heard." quite a claim for someone who has heard as many as you. i don't have a variety of sources, so i'll "settle" with ck10s
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #188 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanturkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice ck100 review. "best IEM i've ever heard." quite a claim for someone who has heard as many as you. i don't have a variety of sources, so i'll "settle" with ck10s
tongue.gif

That statement is questionable. The more I try out new earphones the more I realize there are a lot of outstanding products out there. I have come to the realization that once you step to a certain point, better becomes a relative term. You start getting to a point where the earphones are largely lack flaws. Better or best begins to be a matter of personal preference more than absolute capability. I've used a slew of "top level" earphones as well as a slew of "high end" earphones, heck, even a number of mid level earphones, and for each one I can say it does X better than any other. However, I have an increasingly hard time saying earphone A is absolutely better than earphone B, or C or D or E for that matter. Once a piece of hardware lacks significant flaws, only personal preference is left.

I love reviews. It gives another individual a glimpse at products they have yet to own. It's a great way to get an interpretation of a product without actually owning the product. At the same time I can subjectively rank various products on a scale of performance based on desired traits. Yet in the end I always see person impressions to come down to a basic matter of flaw or incapability and personal preference in sound characteristics. The best is a product that is minimally flawed and that fits your personal tastes to a T. That is the best for you. The downside is it is not the best for someone else.

The hardest part about finding the right hardware is finding the one that creates the sound you find ideal.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #189 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impressive review here, good job |joker|.

Thanks. Big fan of your work, too
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That statement is questionable. The more I try out new earphones the more I realize there are a lot of outstanding products out there. I have come to the realization that once you step to a certain point, better becomes a relative term. You start getting to a point where the earphones are largely lack flaws. Better or best begins to be a matter of personal preference more than absolute capability.

[...]

The hardest part about finding the right hardware is finding the one that creates the sound you find ideal.

Totally agree with this. Words like 'better' and 'best' should be taken subjectively when it comes to a lot of the high-end earphones. I've thought about this when positioning things on my scale. As a general rule, differences within +/- 1 point of each other are subject to personal preferences to determine the ultimate order. Beyond that I think absolute technical capabilities take a toll, though there are still lower-end earphones that do particular things amazingly well.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #190 of 16,931
I thought that was pretty obvious when joker said the CK100 was the best he heard. I've listened to a majority of the same high up there universal iem's that joker has and the CK100 definitely doesn't rank as high on my preferences but still up there so it does show it is all up to preferences. CK10 is still number one for me and I await the day it will be brought down to #2 :p

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #191 of 16,931
Wow thanks for this incredible review. It was extremely helpful. I finally ended up with the CK10's. Awesome job. Congrats!

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #192 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... my S:Flo2 came with some crummy conventional buds. You'd think they'd at least throw a set of the Alphas in with their priciest portable...

i thought they had stopped making them tbh but id rather things didint come with buds. i alwayse resent thing being bundled i dont want with things i do but thats just me

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #193 of 16,931
Quote:

I thought that was pretty obvious when joker said the CK100 was the best he heard. I've listened to a majority of the same high up there universal iem's that joker has and the CK100 definitely doesn't rank as high on my preferences but still up there so it does show it is all up to preferences. CK10 is still number one for me and I await the day it will be brought down to #2 :p

I tried to convey how temperamental the CK100 is but perhaps I should have written a slightly more schizophrenic review. IMO at their best they can very nearly match the CK10s on strengths and really capitalize on the few (relative) weaknesses of the CK10. At their average they don't quite measure up in a few key areas.

I am also still waiting on the one to beat the CK10 as an all-rounder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow thanks for this incredible review. It was extremely helpful. I finally ended up with the CK10's. Awesome job. Congrats!

Great, hope you like them
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #194 of 16,931
The CK10 is definitely a good choice. The CK100 definitely weren't as good to me. The mids were a bit too forward for me which I don't like as much. If only the CK10 had it's brothers cable
smily_headphones1.gif
I am hoping my most recent purchase surpasses the CK10 but not I'm not expecting it to so I like to be surprised. I won't get it for 3 weeks or so but I'll find out in around a month.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #195 of 16,931
^^ recent purchase being? i'm fairly sure you already have the e-q7s right? i pains me to think that if AT had tuned up the bass just slightly, the ck10s would be crazy good. at least when i think about the pain i had to go through to get these, i say now, its sooo worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back